• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5700 pulse to 7800xt pulse?

Soldato
hey guys im seriously considering a sapphire pulse 7800xt to replace my 5700 pulse.

im guessing i can get about double the performance?

im using a gigabyte m32q 2k monitor.

the other important specs are

corsair rm750x
tomahawk max b450 board
ryzen 5700x
32 gig 3600 ddr 4

Last edited:
Yes the performance can be about double, though at a much higher price point compared to what the 5700 used to be.
Heck, one can even get similar performance from a 6800/6800XT as well for a bit cheaper. Goes to show how poor of a generational improvement the 7800XT is.

If going for the 7800XT, don't pay more than £500. There's one place that has the Pulse just above that, but not worth it.
Wait for the inevitable drops down to below £500, which shouldn't be long considering there were a few at that price not that long ago.

If you find a good deal on one, you can also get a decent boost from also upgrading CPU to 5800X3D.

I'd probably go for a 5800X3D upgrade first, while waiting for the prices of the 7800XT to drop further. The X3D chip will give you a boost in games in the meantime and will really utilise the new graphics card when you DO get one.

I'd probably go for a 5800X3D upgrade first, while waiting for the prices of the 7800XT to drop further. The X3D chip will give you a boost in games in the meantime and will really utilise the new graphics card when you DO get one.
Moving from a 5700X to 5800X3D is barely worth bothering with at 2k, even with a 4090 which is almost twice as fast as a 7800XT its only around a 15% gain.

Wait till Jan before upgrading the GPU as not only is Nvidia launching the Super refresh which may effect pricing but also December's prices are jacked up for Xmas shoppers.

Last edited:
Moving from a 5700X to 5800X3D is barely worth bothering with at 2k, even with a 4090 which is almost twice as fast as a 7800XT its only around a 15% gain.

Wait till Jan before upgrading the GPU as not only is Nvidia launching the Super refresh which may effect pricing but also December's prices are jacked up for Xmas shoppers.
Prices are jacked up in November to do Black Friday with. Prices now (December) are as good as you'll get, until the Supers are released, so never buy anything in November. Wait until Dec starts.

Fair point on the CPU upgrade though.

Last edited:

I got a decent uplift with a 3080 from the 5600x to 3D at 2k never mind a 4090. Many forget minimums are more important but it's game dependant. If the titles the OP plays benefits from it, I feel it's a better upgrade in preparation for the new GPU. If I was looking to spend as little as possible though, the GPU would be more important than the CPU as 5700x is still a decent CPU but if I was wanting to extend life of the current system, I feel both are nice upgrades.

I got a decent uplift with a 3080 from the 5600x to 3D at 2k never mind a 4090. Many forget minimums are more important but it's game dependant. If the titles the OP plays benefits from it, I feel it's a better upgrade in preparation for the new GPU. If I was looking to spend as little as possible though, the GPU would be more important than the CPU as 5700x is still a decent CPU but if I was wanting to extend life of the current system, I feel both are nice upgrades.
Personally I wouldn’t bother spending the £270 odd that the 5800X3D still goes for from a 5700X especially if it was a toss up between that and a gpu.

I have a 3080 + 5800X and never bothered with the 5800X3D, even the 7800X3D wasn’t enough of a real world uplift to temp me to upgrade so I’m waiting till next year for the zen 5 Vcache.

Personally I wouldn’t bother spending the £270 odd that the 5800X3D still goes for from a 5700X especially if it was a toss up between that and a gpu.

I have a 3080 + 5800X and never bothered with the 5800X3D, even the 7800X3D wasn’t enough of a real world uplift to temp me to upgrade so I’m waiting till next year for the zen 5 Vcache.

You'll need to upgrade GPU to get the most out of it , not really gonna benefit pairing 3080 with zen5 3d

Platform change + GPU isn't gonna be cheap

You'll need to upgrade GPU to get the most out of it , not really gonna benefit pairing 3080 with zen5 3d

Platform change + GPU isn't gonna be cheap
The difference with going AM5 isnt that much anymore, a 7800X3D + board and ram is probably less than an extra £150 net once you've sold your AM4 bits compared just swapping to a 5800X3D now.

5800X3D is overpriced now especially as the newer 7800X3D is only 30 quid more and it'll work out cheaper if you sell the free avatar game code.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £637.97 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

Last edited:
The difference with going AM5 isnt that much anymore, a 7800X3D + board and ram is probably less than an extra £150 net once you've sold your AM4 bits compared just swapping to a 5800X3D now.

5800X3D is overpriced now especially as the newer 7800X3D is only 30 quid more and it'll work out cheaper if you sell the free avatar game code.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £637.97 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

I meant you would need to upgrade GPU as well , pairing 3080 with say zen 5 3d you really ain't gonna be seeing much difference in gaming

Last edited:
I meant you would need to upgrade GPU as well , pairing 3080 with say zen 5 3d you really ain't gonna be seeing much difference
The same applies to a 5800X3D though especially if your rocking an RX5700, the point i'm making it the cost is not much more these days for a 7800X3D so makes little sense to move from a 5700X to the dead end 5800X3D.

The same applies to a 5800X3D though especially if your rocking an RX5700, the point i'm making it the cost is not much more these days for a 7800X3D so makes little sense to move from a 5700X to the dead end 5800X3D.

So when you upgrade say to zen5 3d are you gonna pair it with the 3080 with no real difference in gaming or buy GPU at the same time hoping price is better ??

I'll probably wait and do both CPU + GPU at the same time, The 1k I had ready for an ADA GPU upgrade which I stuck in BTC back in Jan thanks to Jensen daft pricing is already up to 2.5k so will probably go for a 5090 if it keeps on going.

I'll probably wait and do both CPU + GPU at the same time, The 1k I had ready for an ADA GPU upgrade which I stuck in BTC back in Jan thanks to Jensen daft pricing is already up to 2.5k so will probably go for a 5090 if it keeps on going.

Well that depends when you cash out can drop anytime, like the saying goes it isn't profit till you cash out

yeh u got a uplift because u got 2 more cores?

last year at this time i chose the 5700x to upgrade my 3600 and got a massive uplift too and inbetween that i went from a 1080p monitor to a 2k one, advantage of going for the 5700x was tdp was the same as my existing chip and the 3d ones cost a lot more :)

no idea why people are telling me to upgrade my cpu it only gets half used at best lol

Last edited:
You need to let HMRC know if capital gains more than £3000 from April 2024 and from 2025 the plan is to get rid of the allowance completely.

So you’ll end up losing up to 50% of that gain.

@uscool agree you need both CPU and GPU upgrade at the same time otherwise it’s wasted performance on the gpu side.

Last edited:
You need to let HMRC know if capital gains more than £3000 from April 2024 and from 2025 the plan is to get rid of the allowance completely.

So you’ll end up losing up to 50% of that gain.

@uscool agree you need both CPU and GPU upgrade at the same time otherwise it’s wasted performance on the gpu side.
Tax is only due on any gain above the 6000 or 3000 threshold come April and so far my gain is only around £1500 so not sweating yet.

yeh u got a uplift because u got 2 more cores?

last year at this time i chose the 5700x to upgrade my 3600 and got a massive uplift too and inbetween that i went from a 1080p monitor to a 2k one, advantage of going for the 5700x was tdp was the same as my existing chip and the 3d ones cost a lot more :)

no idea why people are telling me to upgrade my cpu it only gets half used at best lol
The 3D cache CPUs extra 2 cores over the 5600x isn't what makes them so good. If you're happy, stay where you are, it was just a reply to someone who mentioned driving a 4090 at 2K when a 5600x was creating a bottleneck with a card with half its GPU power in the 3080 even at 1440p. Since you're getting a 7800XT which is comparable to a 3080, it was user experience to explain you won't get the best out of the card with the 5700x but it won't be a bad experience, just that you can get more out of the card with the 3D cache version.

It seems you're happy though so by all means, carry on.

The 3D cache CPUs extra 2 cores over the 5600x isn't what makes them so good. If you're happy, stay where you are, it was just a reply to someone who mentioned driving a 4090 at 2K when a 5600x was creating a bottleneck with a card with half its GPU power in the 3080 even at 1440p. Since you're getting a 7800XT which is comparable to a 3080, it was user experience to explain you won't get the best out of the card with the 5700x but it won't be a bad experience, just that you can get more out of the card with the 3D cache version.

It seems you're happy though so by all means, carry on.
hehe kool i just clicked your post at random while drunk sorry if i came of a bit brash :)

now guys massive question that is bugging me.....

does the 7800xt pulse have the same light up lettering that the 5700 pulse has?
5vFEKEK.jpg

im a bit attatched to the light up sapphire and dad will be getting this card for the price of 0, old case a fractal design r4 midi window which needs cleaned and has had several motherboards through it :p

Last edited:
Reactions: J.D
Back
Top Bottom