• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5700X overheating

Associate
Hey All,

Sorry to Bump this necro thread, but I think my EVGA CLC 280 might be on its way out as I'm having loads of USB disconnect and reconnecting happening in windows. I tried reconnecting it to a different USB header and straight to a USB port same thing happens and my temps jumped up to 106c when it was literally idling at 5% CPU. There's a 5 year warranty on the AIO so I'm trying to see about RMA, in the interim as a temporary work around, do you think the Wraith Spire cooler from a 3600X would be sufficient with no overclocks and if I turn off PBO? I'm working on the thinking that the 5700X is a 65W CPU and the 3600X is a 95W CPU...

Any thoughts?
It should be ok for light loads. The chip would throttle down if gets too hot.

Soldato
It should be ok for light loads. The chip would throttle down if gets too hot.
Agreed it will throttle a bit and the temps will approach the 90C mark I would assume but as a temporary solution it will work while you RMA.

As an aside I've now got a Noctua NH-L12 Ghost S1 fitted in my SFF with the 5700X and without doing any tweaks with PBO etc it's doing a very admirable job of cooling the CPU. So if anyone is looking for a SFF solution then it does the job well despite the 92mm fan. It's also relatively quiet at 100% fan speeds especially when you'll have some form of audio while gaming etc anyways. CPU is maintaining 4.6/4.65Ghz speeds when stressed as well while gaming which is fantastic.

Soldato
in the interim as a temporary work around, do you think the Wraith Spire cooler from a 3600X would be sufficient with no overclocks and if I turn off PBO? I'm working on the thinking that the 5700X is a 65W CPU and the 3600X is a 95W CPU...

Any thoughts?
I am temporarily using a Wraith Stealth with a 5700x and with PBO disabled under 100% loads temperature gets to 83C which is within spec of 90C operating temp. So I should think a Wraith Spire would be OK temporarily too.

I've ordered an ID-COOLING SE-214-XT to replace the Wraith Stealth which was £ 16.66 ex VAT and free delivery from a certain online store which is currently on sale with a further 15% discount until 16th July.

Full spec of the ID-COOLING SE-214-XT here...

https://www.idcooling.com/Product/detail/id/276/name/SE-214-XT ARGB

It has a TDP of 180W whereas the Wraith Stealth only 65W, the Wraith Spire has a TDP of 95W so the Spire would do an even better job then the Stealth.

Soldato
Well I ended up receiving the wrong CPU cooler and went for a Vetroo V5 instead. Temps at stock with Cinebench R23 max out at 60C, in BF 2042 spiked to 67C but rarely goes above 60. Idle temp is 31C. I enabled PBO and got a max temp of 76C in Cinebench R23 and gaming spiked to 72C but mostly in the 60s.

Also got a new Fractal Torrent case which has also helped reduce temps.

Associate
Wait for next gen stuff to come out in few months. Should drop prices on last gen stuff. Im hoping they pull out a zen4 cpu for am4
No, that doesn’t help me now when I need more than 4 cores.

“wait for the next gen” is great when you can or want to wait.

The 5700X is already discounted and the new range is going to be expensive so I can’t see the current gen being that much cheaper.

Soldato
Curious as to how everyone is getting on with their 5700x.

Had it for a good few months now and honestly it's just really impressing me. I've now got a negative offset on all cores of -30 and +200 on the PBO speed and I'm now consistently hitting 4.85Ghz while gaming and even on Cinebench with a 100% all core load it's sitting at a solid 4.7Ghz with a couple of dips here or there to 4.675Ghz. I'm honestly so impressed with the performance of the chip.

Soldato
What are your temps like?

Mine at stock cooled with a Vetroo V5 CPU cooler hits 57C in Cinebench R23, and 62C in BF 2042. Idles at around 33C low fan speed setting. It was 60C in Cinebench the other day.

Cinebench should heat the CPU more than any game which suggests I still have an air flow problem despite changing my case. Then again 62C while gaming is nothing to worry about.

GPU about 60C as well.

Soldato
What are your temps like?

Mine at stock cooled with a Vetroo V5 CPU cooler hits 57C in Cinebench R23, and 62C in BF 2042. Idles at around 33C low fan speed setting. It was 60C in Cinebench the other day.

Cinebench should heat the CPU more than any game which suggests I still have an air flow problem despite changing my case. Then again 62C while gaming is nothing to worry about.

GPU about 60C as well.

So bearing in mind I am using an NH12 in an NR200 where it’s set to rear intake when full load on Cinebench around 76c. Gaming wise it all depends on the game but ranges between 65-71 typically.

I find that more a symptom of the small form factor however. I’m sure in a larger case with better/directed airflow it would be even lower.

Even still the consistently on this chip given the -30 and +200 PBO settings is just fantastic. I never typically had any luck previously with PBO using a 5900x but this chip is definitely a lot better in that regard.

Definitely sounds like you have a good bit of headroom with that V5 cooler as your temps look very solid indeed. Although if you’re comfortable with the performance then there’s obviously no need.

Soldato
how are you struggling to cool a 65w cpu? you using a passive cooler?

I'm glad someone said this. It is a 65W chip which has a higher power state of only 88w.

The 5800X is so hot because it has a higher power state of 142W, the majority of which is going through a single die.

I know this is a necro thread, but it isn't normal for a 5700X to run so hot like the initial posts suggest.

Soldato
Definitely sounds like you have a good bit of headroom with that V5 cooler as your temps look very solid indeed. Although if you’re comfortable with the performance then there’s obviously no need.
Temps reached 65C both CPU and GPU just now in BF 2042, must be warmer today. Happy with the performance and don’t want to throw any more heat into the case.

Back
Top Bottom