• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5700X overheating

Soldato
I ordered one last week and it arrives today. Can't wait.

I knoooooow I don't need one but it's so damn cheap.

Very cheap right now and honestly fantastic chips, well it is in my experience so far :)

Should see a great improvement from the 3300X plus it's only your CPU you need to change which makes it a really sensible upgrade.

Soldato
Just ran BF 2042 with GPU automatically undervolted in adrenaline software. Max temps I saw were about 64c GPU and 64c CPU but CPU mostly under 60s and GPU mostly 63C max. This was one of the rare occasions where GPU and CPU were both at 62C at the same time...

6n2Yyz4.png

Soldato
Can't wait to see the performance uplift. IPC gain alone with 4 cores will be noticable. 8 cores is just going to make it amazing.

jrodga2k5

I see that you too are a fan of ITX rigs. Expensive, aren't they?
I am!! It's especially the fact that I enjoy trying different cases etc too as I'm never fully satisfied with some of the temps My NR200 is lovely though, I'm really liking it. I think I've learned though, when I go back to something larger before reverting back, I really need to hold onto some of my slimmer fans etc as they're always useful.

Soldato
According to this review they got 51.3C running Cinebench R23 MT...

https://www.hwcooling.net/en/amd-ryzen-7-5700x-a-much-more-efficient-cpu-than-the-5800x/39/

I'm getting about 57C but they used the Noctua NH-U14S which is £ 71.99 inc VAT whereas my Vetroo V5 cost £ 32.99 inc VAT. A difference of 6C isn't that much and you'd probably better off going for water cooling if you're going to spend as much as £ 71.99 on an air cooler.

Also they got 56.1C running F1 2020 @ 1080p which proves gaming can heat a CPU up more than Cinebench.

Last edited:
Soldato
According to this review they got 51.3C running Cinebench R23 MT...

https://www.hwcooling.net/en/amd-ryzen-7-5700x-a-much-more-efficient-cpu-than-the-5800x/39/

I'm getting about 57C but they used the Noctua NH-U14S which is £ 71.99 inc VAT whereas my Vetroo V5 cost £ 32.99 inc VAT. A difference of 6C isn't that much and you'd probably better off going for water cooling if you're going to spend as much as £ 71.99 on an air cooler.

Also they got 56.1C running F1 2020 @ 1080p which proves gaming can heat a CPU up more than Cinebench.

I'd say it is more nuanced.

What is happening is that the cooling is so effective that it is keeping all the cores very cool, 57C is outstanding. Although somewhat helped by the very low TDP at stock.

With F1 2020 it is boosting a single or a few cores really high and the cooling setup can't move that concentrated heat away fast enough. The overall CPU is still cooler, but there are warmer hotspots.

With a 5800X or PBO enabled on the 5700X, I don't think you would get the same result. There is just way more power available to keep all the cores fed. In fact that is exactly what you see in the link you gave. The 5700X is simply starved with all core loads.

Last edited:
Associate
Installed my 5700X and it's all nice and everything. With a tiny undervolt and some PBO negative offset, the temps did drop nicely.

Still trying to figure out if I can get it to 5.7ghz or even 5.8 but I just locked my my BIOS trying to do so.

Soldato
It seems with the 5800x the gaming temps are a lot lower than the Cinebench R23 temps but with the 5700x they are slightly higher. Therefore my gaming temps of 64C max compared to 57C Cinebench R23 temps is normal for the 5700x.

Soldato
Here's a video showing the GPU and CPU temps of my system during a random 5 minutes of Battlefield 2042 online gameplay. Numbers in top left of screen.

It was shot in 4K which is still processing and the 1080p version isn't very clear but you can still just about make out the numbers. Need to go full screen to stand any chance though.

https://youtu.be/SsKReje6XyU

Also looks clear at 1440p which I presume most of you have at least.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I moved from a 5600X that could not be cooled even with the best CPU coolers to a 5800X and the 5800X is a far better chip to cool although the 5800X is known as harder to cool?
My 5600X reached almost 90c just running Crysis 3.

It makes no sense I know, I just think not all chips even in the same family name are not created equal.

Permabanned
I don't know, i don't like Prime95 at all, at least not for modern CPU's with AVX instructions, some will and do argue "Prime95 is a legitimate use case" i have never see anything stress a CPU anything like as hard as that, especially smallest FFTs, it seems to me to put a far higher load on the CPU that it will ever see in any real world application, which in some ways is fine because its the ultimate tress test, i guess.... i just don't think any programmer making software for the real world would use the AVX instruction set in this way.
You could use larger FFTs and its less stressful but IMO Cinebench is a legitimate stress test as its a real application (Cinema4D) and its about as stressful as it gets for real world applications. so if all is well there you shouldn't worry about anything else.
Under small FFT's the 5800X at stock under this EK-AIO Basic with a fan profile hit 86c hitting 4.85ghz boost.
The 5600X at it's stock setting would shut the computer off hitting 91c with the same cooling.
The 5600X at 1.25v and an all core of 4.5 would still shut off under the same test still hitting above 90c .
The 5800x at 1.3v 4700mhz fixed OC reached just 83c.
The 5800X with a lower voltage and slightly lower clocks shows a big improvement on average temps, moderate loading is around 60c, the 5600X with moderate load was in the upper 70's.

Associate
The 5600X at it's stock setting would shut the computer off hitting 91c with the same cooling.
Think it might have been defective, my 3800xt tops out at 93.?c in 95 small fft never crashed the computer hwinfo didn't even indicate it was throttling, cooling is otherwise fine have a arctic 34 duo idles about 30c low 70's while gaming.

Permabanned
Think it might have been defective, my 3800xt tops out at 93.?c in 95 small fft never crashed the computer hwinfo didn't even indicate it was throttling, cooling is otherwise fine have a arctic 34 duo idles about 30c low 70's while gaming.
Oh definitely, it was an abnormal 5600X and the 5800X is about what I expected, hard to cool but not impossible unlike the 5600X I had.

Associate
I moved from a 5600X that could not be cooled even with the best CPU coolers to a 5800X and the 5800X is a far better chip to cool although the 5800X is known as harder to cool?
My 5600X reached almost 90c just running Crysis 3.

It makes no sense I know, I just think not all chips even in the same family name are not created equal.
Add a 0.2v drop to the CPU and enable LLC stage 2 to undervolt the CPU further. Tried a 0.3v drop on the CPU and the system wouldn't boot into windows.

I did that for my 5700X and it boosts to 4.75ghz with PBO enabled and temps are 70 or so degrees. I've got a better cooler which should help the CPU boost for longer. I want to try get it to boost to 4.8ghz all core but we will see.

Absolutely thrilled with the upgrade to the 5700X.

Back
Top Bottom