• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5700x3D Running high temps not sure why?

Associate
So changed my CPU today from a 3600x to a 5700x3D.

I proceeded to jump on a game iRacing to be exact to see how it affected things compared to the previous CPU and immediately noticed it was running at a lower clock speed (2.7/2.9ghz) when the base clock sits at 3.2ghz.

I Checked the hardware info and it was 90c so shut the game down to troubleshoot.

Before installing the new CPU I made sure the BIOS was up to date, cleared the CMOS and updated all drivers relating to the motherboard.

I've since removed the cooler to check the thermal paste, all seemed ok so reapplied and refitted the cooler.
I've done this twice now and both times appeared to be fine with a nice even spread across cooler head and the top of the chip so I'm confident I'm not messing that up.

Temps still quickly climb to 90c and idle at around 69c/70c.
All fans are running and from what I can tell the pump is running on the AIO cooler (Ai Suite and BIOS all show RPM data for the pump)

I'm waiting on more thermal paste but the next step is to refit the 3600x and check the temps on that, as that will eliminate the possibility of it being the cooler?

Is there anything else I can try while I wait for the thermal paste?
It would be extremely unlucky if the cooler died at the exact same time I changed CPU (don't think that's the case given all sensors say it's running.)

So I'm hoping to find another solution but my knowledge base is limited so looking for hive mind help?

Associate
OP
So while I continue to investigate this I discovered a post on the AMD stating that 95c is what the chip is designed to run at? and I've discovered a tweet from AMD Ryzen that states the 7000 series is designed to run at 95c too.
Both things lead me to believe the temps aren't the issue but it doesn't seem right to me.

Associate
OP
Definitely reinstall the 3600x to check the cooler.

It is possible that the cooler pump has failed but the motor is still spinning and giving an rpm reading.

Also check for power use, some boards pump stupid amounts of power into ryzen cpus. From another thread I wrote:

How would I know if it's getting stupid amounts of power? Forgive the noob questions, but I don't tinker to much normally just plug and play and I'm happy enough.

Associate
OP
I've since left it idling a while and opened the case up, holding both pipes coming off the heat block one is visibly cooler than the other coming off the block and I feel a bit of vibration in both I'm thinking that would be the coolant flowing through it.

So I'm even more confident now that the pump is working as it should.

Back
Top Bottom