• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5800X and XTX an ok combo, or worth upgrading the CPU

As you can see in my sig, that's my current setup. I game at 4K and haven't noticed the CPU holding the GPU back at all. I should imagine that it would vary greatly between games though and I don't tend to play many recent games - what games do you mostly play?

I currently have a 5800X and was thinking about getting an 7900XTX. Would this hold the GPU back by a decent amount when playing single player games at 4k?
This video might be of interest to you:

I'd say it depends on the games and your settings, but for the most part: not important.

An X3D would give you better lows and overall framerate consistency, but single player games @ 60+ fps, it is fine.

RDNA 4 is rumoured to be releasing not long after Zen 5 though, so not sure I'd want to dump nearly 1K on an XTX right now.

Last edited:
best option would be grabbing a X3D chip, but TBF at 4k as long as your cpu is not from the stone age it will do a good job

Are you going for 4K60 or 4K120?

The most challenging game I've played at 4K60 is Tekken 8, and did feel some benefit going from a 5700X to a 5700X3D, where the latter consistently stayed in my TV's (limited) Freesync range (48-60), where the 5700X did not. I have a 7900 XT.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom