• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5800x Temp

Associate
I have done a lot of reading and searching. Yet to find anyone that had this issue say they fixed it.

So what is causing my 5800x to immediately hit 90c when I start Cinebench r20?

It seems no matter how I adjust my bios it always hits the same temp in seconds. Is it a faulty CPU or MB?

Right now I enabled Precision Boost. I have it set to +200mhz and -20 on all cores in Curve Optimizer.

Still did nothing to the temps. Holds around 4550mhz all core during the run.

HWMonitor shows a max vCore of 1.488v and a max VDD of 1.531v. It seems to hold around 1.312v while doing the multicore run.

When gaming it is usually around 77c. I know these temps are listed as "ok" but I see others having way lower temps with the same CPU...

Using an Asus Strix b550-f Motherboard and a Corsair h115i 280mm AIO. The AIO is top mounted with fans exhausting out. Has 2 front intake and 1 rear exhaust fan.

If I missed any other info needed let me know. Thanks for any help/input!

Associate
OP
I should have mentioned that I got the same temps even with everything stock.

My temps are 40 - 55c at idle or when browsing the web. I reapplied the heatsink already, and I used this very same AIO on my 9700k that was overclocked to 5ghz all core.

My main thing is I have seen others post having lower temps with the same or even worse cooling. So why are there so many that hit 90c instantly and others that don't?

Associate
OP
What power are you pulling under all core load? PPT wise

It seems to hover around 130w during multicore Cinebench r23 run.

Those are also in line with my temps. I've never seen it lower than 40 either at stock or with my tweaking. I shared your frustrations at first. I even splashed out £150 on the new Phanteks 360 AIO cooler is I was using the wraith prism air cooler before hand. That bought me 10 degrees to play with which made all the difference in terms of being able to push performance as apposed to trying to keep temps in check. I've made my peace with the temps now.

Yeah I thought about upgrading to a 360 AIO. Since my 280 Corsair is like 4 years old now I think. Though I don't know if it would really make a difference or not.

Associate
OP
Might be worth posting a pic of your case and setup to see how the air flow direction is configured. Those temps do seem a little high. You're running 50mhz more than I am, but even letting my chip pull over 160w it never reaches 90 degrees... and your aio is better than mine for performance.

I can try to grab a pic later. I have a good configuration I would think. Its a Corsair Air 540 case. With 2 140mm front intake, 2 140mm top exhaust (AIO) and 1 140mm rear exhaust.

Associate
OP
Would like to pull the heatsink off and see how the thermal paste looks. Problem is, I can't get it to pull off without ripping the CPU out with it.

Any ideas how to safely remove it? It twists fine, but it's almost like glue or something because it is really strong.

It wasn't that strong when I used it on my 9700k but that was a few years ago. Maybe the paste is just to old and more sticky or something?

Associate
OP
Stress pc to warm paste then turn pc off and then try removing by twisting should ease off easily then

I tried that, and it still won't come off. It twists easily back and forth but when I try to pull it up it won't budge.

I already ripped the CPU out of socket once. Luckily I didn't bend a single pin. I don't want to test my luck a second time lol.

Never had this issue with Intel....

Associate
OP
That alone will add more heat.

All of Zen 3 cpu's tend to run hot, and they run high volts during lightly threaded tasks. Seeing in the region of high 1.4's and 1.5 is normal. And around 1.2-1.3 during heavily mutli-core tasks like running cinebench.

If you've not done it already you could tweak the PPT TDC and EDC values.

What have you set them to? Have you set them to "motherboard" or set them manually? If you want to know what they are set to (if it shows as Auto in bios), and what they are using then check Ryzen Master while running Cinebench for example.

Stock for a 105w tdp cpu is 142a PPT, 95a TDC and 140a EDC.

Try and lower them slightly.

For me when I set PBO limits to motherboard it cranked PPT to 1000, and EDC and TDC to 250 lol. Lowering them netted the same performance but I saved 10c on load temps.

To manage expectations though these processors won't run heavy multi-core tasks at 50 degree temps unless you have exotic cooling.

With a typical aio or air cooler I'd expect anywhere between mid to high 70's to high 80's.

And depending on the game 50-75 degrees. It makes me laugh when I see some people say they get 50 degree temps when gaming, yeah they might but not in all games. If I play a game like mad max my cpu temp is about 50 degrees, but Cyberpunk and I'm at low 70's.

Even at stock my cpu hit 90c in Cinebench in like 5 seconds still. I had PBO limits set to motherboard, then back to auto with no difference either way. That's why I feel like something else is going on. There are so many with the same issue and others that run normal.

I was going to get some new thermal paste and double check that, but I can't get the heatsink off the CPU without ripping it out of the socket lol.

Associate
OP
Pulled heatsink off and reapplied paste. No change. Still instantly hits 90c in Cinebench and is over 50c just watching a video on youtube.

HWinfo shows during Cinebench r20 my TDC was at 82.4 A, EDC 153.8 A and Package Power at 131w.

Associate
OP
Bought another 5800x and this one already runs much cooler.

Seeing temps down in the low 30's at idle. My other one was always mid 40's.

Having two web pages open watching videos I was always in the 50's, now with new one I'm around 35 - 40c

Cinebench no longer instantly shoots to 90c. It gradually climbs and reached a peak of 86c at stock. So there is something going on here between CPUs.

Associate
OP
When you say you bought another, did you RMA the one you were having high temps with?

I bought a second one. Then sent the other back for a refund since I still had time with the company I bought it from.

So you getting better temps now with the new one? What did you do with the old one? return for the warranty because of the hot temps? I have never use the warranty for a processor so I don't know how it works and how long it takes.

Asking because I am not very happy with my 5800x because of getting random crashes (on top of the high temps like you) but I am not sure if it is the Ryzen, the memory overclock which I removed yesterday to troubleshoot (BTW 4x8Gb sticks), or even the fairly new Radeon 5700 which runs also hot and many crashes happened during gaming. So I have been thinking about whether to buy another and/or return this for warranty. Also, I used CTR 2.0 for the first time yesterday, and apparently my chip is a bad one (bronze rated!) and can't even use the negative curve without crashing no matter the level.

Please to see your new one runs cooler. I might follow suit and buy another.

Yes I'm getting much better temps with the new one. It is still a hot CPU but not near as hot as the first one.

I did not do an RMA. I still had time to get a refund from the company I purchased it from. So I sent the first CPU back once I made sure the second one was working.

Associate
OP
I presume every other single detail stayed the same, like same BIOS and settings, OS etc? If so then that is quite interesting. I suspect as time goes on then more info on the difference you're seeing may come to light as that is quite a variation for a 'non faulty' CPU running at stock.

My 5800X is more like your 2nd one in that the max it will go to is ~84c in CBr20 and takes a little while to get there. This is with a Noctua D15 and PBO enabled with CO and running at 5.0Ghz.

Correct. All I changed was the CPU. Even used the same thermal paste from the same tube.

So I find it interesting that they say it is normal to run that hot yet there are ones that run much cooler.

Back
Top Bottom