5800X3D + AsRock X370 Killer SLI Dual Channel Issue

Associate
I am having trouble booting the above configuration. The computer goes in a boot loop and fails to load the BIOS screen
- RAM: CT8G4DFRA266 Crucial 8GB 2666 MHz CL19
- BIOS: 7.30 (latest version)

Background:
Computer was running fine in dual channel mode (8 months) till one day it failed to POST. No change to configuration made during this time

Troubleshooting steps executed:
- Checked RAM sticks individually in all 4 DIMM slots. Computer boots without issue as long as its just 1 RAM stick, the DIMM slot doesnt matter. Did this test with both sticks in total 8 times
- Replaced 5800X3D with Ryzen 1700 and all 4 DIMM slots are being detected in dual channel mode (4X8GB configuration, same RAM SKU (CT8G4DFRA266) 2 sticks from this PC + 2 from another donor PC). PC boots without issue
- RMA'd the 5800X3D, got a new retail box as replacement. Issue still persists

What could be the probable cause for this issue. Any other troubleshooting strategy that might unravel the root cause?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Associate
I had a similar (actually identical) issue with my 5800X.

The problem? The CPU cooler was screwed down too tight... and my issue began randomly as well- it'd been working fine for months then just refused to boot one morning. Exactly the same, would boot with one stick but nothing else.
Reseat the chip again, and mount the cooler with minimal pressure, don't screw it down tightly.

Sorted it for me. I thought it sounded daft too...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ram is NOT on the mobo approved list if that makes any difference
Tried upping the ram volts a bit?
1.35v 2133 MHz .. the problem however it seems is that the motherboard initiates a ram training cycle as soon as the ram configuration changes, so i doubt if the changes will stick

I had a similar (actually identical) issue with my 5800X.

The problem? The CPU cooler was screwed down too tight... and my issue began randomly as well- it'd been working fine for months then just refused to boot one morning. Exactly the same, would boot with one stick but nothing else.
Reseat the chip again, and mount the cooler with minimal pressure, don't screw it down tightly.

Sorted it for me. I thought it sounded daft too...
thanks,, tried that just now, though the 1700 detects all four ram sticks for the same amount of mounting pressure, just followed noctua guidelines on tighten gradually till the screws stop turning..
edit: still not working

Last edited:
Associate
OP
here are few parameters reported by the motherboard.. anything out of place, ignore the dram voltage, i have deliberately set that to 1.1 V to stress test for stability.. the ram is rated at 1.2V

Associate
OP
Ram volts on that pic says 1.12,default according to Crucial is 1.2.and i like to add a LITTLE bit more
Try setting ram voltage to 1.2 manually and try again?
thanks.. yes i tried that raised upto 1.35V.. i was only trying to see if the connection is unstable by lowering the voltage, i think its the motherboard or the bios, but not entirely sure, though it can detect all channels on a ryzen 1700 both 5800X3Ds cant be bad, it would be unlikely.. so, i am leaning towards a bad mobo, but i read somewhere that the ryzen 5800x3d runs by default on 1.1V but the vcore is showing up as 0.9xx in the system BIOS, dunno if its correct.. hard to find someone with the same motherboard cpu config, just to rule out a bad PSU - a PSU replacement is going to be a lot cheaper because otherwise i am looking at upgrading to am5 with those rip-off prices lol

Associate
OP
0.9-1.5v is normal voltages for vcore, You sure the retailer wasn't being sneaky and just send you the same 5800x3d back?
i dont think so, the RMA was handled by AMD directly different serial number and sealed retail box, pretty much happy with AMD RMA process took 2 days to turnaround from RMA approval and 4 days for the whole process from case creation, been building a 7800X3D system for now, got to put things together this weekend
Motherboard fault. or windows dumper a bios update in you didnt ask for and now.... the system is having none of the ram
i think its the BIOS, the only way to 100% rule out the CPU would be to try it on some other board, but i doubt its the CPU at this point, maybe i will get it checked when i am abt to be selling it in the used marker

Last edited:
Associate
OP
just an update, i contacted asrock technical support as a last resort and they gave me some beta bios that hasnt yet been published.. the computer now boots with all 4 ram sticks on the 5800x3d and i feel like a complete fool for jumping the gun on a 7800x3d upgrade

Soldato
just an update, i contacted asrock technical support as a last resort and they gave me some beta bios that hasnt yet been published.. the computer now boots with all 4 ram sticks on the 5800x3d and i feel like a complete fool for jumping the gun on a 7800x3d upgrade
Not really foolish. You went through a logical fault-finding process and now at least you know it’s safe to use or sell the old CPU. It’s good that it’s fixed.

Back
Top Bottom