• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5800x3D upgrade

Installed my new 5800X3D yesterday evening and the system is running very well with -30 on all cores in PBO/curve optimizer. There's a significant uplift in MSFS2020 : with my older 3900X I was getting approx 40 fps at 1440p taking off from my local airport, compared to 80 fps with the 5800X3D. Even tried a takeoff from JFK in New York and was getting low 50's ; on my previous CPU that would give frame rates between 20-30 fps. For context this is using a 3440x1400 ultra wide monitor with a RTX 3090 FE.

The card is fine as played other games which ran well. Is just FS2020 at the moment. My PSU is over 7 yrs old. Ran Afterburner and shown that Power drawn exceeded over 81% when playing FS2020
Update - Strangely enough, when I switch my PSU to Eco mode, FS2020 and F1 22 runs perfectly fine. Is only when my PC gets very unstable if I switch the PSU back to AUTO bizarrely enough. Needless to say, I purchased a second-hand SuperFlower 750W Leadex Gold SF750F14 BLACK - identical to my 550W so the cables are the same

Last edited:
Reactions: J.D
Update - Strangely enough, when I switch my PSU to Eco mode, FS2020 and F1 22 runs perfectly fine. Is only when my PC gets very unstable if I switch the PSU back to AUTO bizarrely enough. Needless to say, I purchased a second-hand SuperFlower 750W Leadex Gold SF750F14 BLACK - identical to my 550W so the cables are the same
Have you got and fitted your new PSU or just have ordered it?

Hopefully this will sort your issues.

Have just ordered it so yes, hopefully will sort out my issues when it arrives
Funny enough I've just had to update a Seasonic 550W PSU which was struggling with an added 5700XT. Popped in a quality Corsair HX 750W and it runs good so you should be fine with the new PSU.

I've also got a 5800X3D in my son's non-MAX B450 Tomahawk and it runs great, just make sure you're not on an old bios before putting it. For something that cost me £70 brand new it has been an amazing motherboard which demonstrates AMD's AM5 current pricing is taking the xxxx.

Funny enough I've just had to update a Seasonic 550W PSU which was struggling with an added 5700XT. Popped in a quality Corsair HX 750W and it runs good so you should be fine with the new PSU.

I've also got a 5800X3D in my son's non-MAX B450 Tomahawk and it runs great, just make sure you're not on an old bios before putting it. For something that cost me £70 brand new it has been an amazing motherboard which demonstrates AMD's AM5 current pricing is taking the xxxx.
Am running on the latest bios. Can't afford to keep updating which is why I know that the 5800X3D will keep me happy for another few years along side with my latest RTX2070S addition

After a extremely long delay, have finally ordered a 5800x3D today - mainly used for FS2020. Hopefully this will keep me going for another couple of years with my existing mb and 2070 Super GC
Screenshot-22.png
Screenshot-21.png
Screenshot-13.png
Screenshot-23.png

Last edited:
I did the upgrade on my AM4 x370
Just to be sure i have the last and best cpu on am4

I think it's too expensive, not sure if it is worth it
Because 7800x3d just cost a little more
And 7600 is less expensive and is better in gaming

But its satisfying to think just that you have the best. Finish with this socket. Like an achievement.

I made 1700x -> 3700x->5700x->5800x3d on the same motherboard
AM4 is a legendary socket

No i wait to see if i can skip AM5 and go directly from AM4 to AM6. time will tell

Last edited:
I installed mine earlier today from a 2700x on an X470 board. Thought I'd treat myself. Even with my RTX 2070 I've noticed a nice improvement in Cyberpunk. It's much smoother and consistent. I'll hold fire on GPU till the 50 series GPUs or see what comes of the 4070 Super.

I've updated BIOS and chipset drivers without issue. Is there anything else I should do?

I installed mine earlier today from a 2700x on an X470 board. Thought I'd treat myself. Even with my RTX 2070 I've noticed a nice improvement in Cyberpunk. It's much smoother and consistent. I'll hold fire on GPU till the 50 series GPUs or see what comes of the 4070 Super.

I've updated BIOS and chipset drivers without issue. Is there anything else I should do?

Apply under volt.

I will upload a screen shot of the bios settings later if you don't find them in this thread. You have to scroll back a while.

I'll take a look. What's the purpose of the under volt? How does it benefit me?

Also... I'm currently using a Dark Rock 4. Should I upgrade the cooler? If so, any suggestions on an AIO that would fit my Fractal Meshify C?

- Thanks

Last edited:

Also... I'm currently using a Dark Rock 4. Should I upgrade the cooler? If so, any suggestions on an AIO that would fit my Fractal Meshify C?

- Thanks
You benefit from cooler temps due to the decreased voltage which can in turn increase performance due to the chip not thermal throttling believe it or not.

Ive underclocked my gpu, it dropped temps by 15 degrees and increased ingame fps by 10-15 per second

- Thanks

I use the dark rock 4 pro and have no issues with the 5800x3d

The way prices are going atm I am SO tempted to upgrade my 5600x to one of these, seems to still be absolute gems of a CPU.

My only concern is that £200 is a big outlay for me so I worry I will see enough of a boost.

It does however seems like the best bang per buck route if I want to upgrade as moving the 7000 series os CPU/ram/mobo and a £600+ bill :(

The way prices are going atm I am SO tempted to upgrade my 5600x to one of these, seems to still be absolute gems of a CPU.

My only concern is that £200 is a big outlay for me so I worry I will see enough of a boost.

It does however seems like the best bang per buck route if I want to upgrade as moving the 7000 series os CPU/ram/mobo and a £600+ bill :(

I think its warranted if you have a higher end GPU. Otherwise it probably isn't worth the upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom