• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5800x3D upgrade

Associate
I swapped my 5600X for a 5800X3D just after Christmas and it was (as expected) running hotter. So I bought a Thermalright Peerless Assassin last week, adjusted the fan curve and is now running at a perfectly acceptable temp and super quiet. So impressed with both. As a final Hoorah for the AM4 it was a great swap after flogging the 5600X.
I just installed mine over the weekend coming from a 5600x. I already have a Corsair AIO (H100i or something, can’t recall) so the temps while gaming haven’t pushed above 50C. Although i need to give it a proper run with more cpu intensive games, i did run the cyberpunk benchmark and another benchmarking tool.

Very impressed so far, the cyberpunk benchmark was definitely more stable and the whole system does feel a bit snappier (even before i reinstalled windows).

Perfect last hurrah before retiring my AM4 kit, what a platform it’s been.

Associate
Apart from just wanting a fresh start with the PC after installing the new CPU i’d had issues uninstalling a couple of apps. The primary culprit being the garbage noted above.

Now happily RGB free, for the most part, but there was remnants of their software i just couldn’t get rid of. This is also the 3rd CPU and I’ve had 3 GPUs (2 nv and currently amd) in this system without reinstalling windows so this was the perfect excuse to do it.

Last edited:
Associate
Just installed mine not seeing much of a benefit just yet but its early days and also knowing this will serve me for another 3+ years is helping lol
Currently running at around 49c in games at stock so Im happy with that my 3700x was around this too

Associate
Just installed mine not seeing much of a benefit just yet but its early days and also knowing this will serve me for another 3+ years is helping lol
Currently running at around 49c in games at stock so Im happy with that my 3700x was around this too

Same - this should do another 2-3 years, at which point AM5 will have matured, cheaper prices and so on.

I was expecting it to run hotter than it is, pleasantly surprised.

Associate
Same - this should do another 2-3 years, at which point AM5 will have matured, cheaper prices and so on.

I was expecting it to run hotter than it is, pleasantly surprised.
I have my curves set as said above and hit 54 max on The Last Of Us and 51 it sits at on The Quarry. Pretty much same on my 5950x but I think the h150i on that system fans are running a bit faster like 300 RPM extra. IIRC. I do like this 5800x3D.

Last edited:
Associate
Apart from just wanting a fresh start with the PC after installing the new CPU i’d had issues uninstalling a couple of apps. The primary culprit being the garbage noted above.

Now happily RGB free, for the most part, but there was remnants of their software i just couldn’t get rid of. This is also the 3rd CPU and I’ve had 3 GPUs (2 nv and currently amd) in this system without reinstalling windows so this was the perfect excuse to do it.
I am thinking about going RGB free aswell might take a leaf out of your book and do it.

Associate
I am thinking about going RGB free aswell might take a leaf out of your book and do it.

It’s so much less hassle. At one point i had two different lighting apps. ICue and whatever the steelseries one is called. I got sick of those, tried to delete them (i now loathe iCue due to the hassle that caused me) and then installed openRGB. Eventually i just thought ‘why the hell am I ******* about with this crap’ so replaced my 280x case with a fractal north and got rid of the rgb fans on the AIO.

Also got a keychron keyboard which does have rgb but it’s controlled from the keyboard, no software required, and i generally just keep it on solid white anyway.

Associate
It’s so much less hassle. At one point i had two different lighting apps. ICue and whatever the steelseries one is called. I got sick of those, tried to delete them (i now loathe iCue due to the hassle that caused me) and then installed openRGB. Eventually i just thought ‘why the hell am I ******* about with this crap’ so replaced my 280x case with a fractal north and got rid of the rgb fans on the AIO.

Also got a keychron keyboard which does have rgb but it’s controlled from the keyboard, no software required, and i generally just keep it on solid white anyway.
Makes sense all looks good when done but so much to control and get right.

Soldato

same here couldnt stand icue and it spiking cpu randomly with its background processes , ended up getting rid of the corsair fans and now I just buy that can be controlled by argb at least so everything controlled using one software

Last edited:
Soldato
Surprised to see mine reaching 70C with the cooler I have - but after a bit of googling apparently that's quite low!

Might try this undervolt malarkey, though I expect it won't increase performance since it's not throttling.

Soldato
Surprised to see mine reaching 70C with the cooler I have - but after a bit of googling apparently that's quite low!

Might try this undervolt malarkey, though I expect it won't increase performance since it's not throttling.

I found it did allow the cpu to boost to its max speed.

Mines at -15 atm and it is boosting just as much as it was at -30.

Anything more than -15 for me was unstable.

Soldato
I found it did allow the cpu to boost to its max speed.

Mines at -15 atm and it is boosting just as much as it was at -30.

Anything more than -15 for me was unstable.
I've only just done it, but it's looking good so far. Scoring higher in cinebench and lower temperatures. Not bad for a 5 minute tweak! It is boosting to full speed consistently which it wasnt before, despite it not being near the thermal throttle limit at any point.

I went for -30 with PPT 102, TDC 72 and EDC 102.

Just have to do a longer test now to see if it's really stable.

Last edited:
Associate
I've only just done it, but it's looking good so far. Scoring higher in cinebench and lower temperatures. Not bad for a 5 minute tweak! It is boosting to full speed consistently which it wasnt before, despite it not being near the thermal throttle limit at any point.

I went for -30 with PPT 102, TDC 72 and EDC 102.

Just have to do a longer test now to see if it's really stable.
I've been stable on -30 all cores 5800x3D.

I wasn't so lucky with that on my 5950x. It would crash when all cores set on -30 when idle to very light use like open a browser. No issues max load though. I had to use specific values on best to worst cores which worked out nicely in the end.

Last edited:
Associate
Get those chipset drivers updated as this can make a big difference if you are not reinstalling windows.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom