• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5850 install problem

Associate
Hoping not to be cliche shouting for help given the mass Sapphire 5850 purchase this last week!... but no choice unfortunately.

Anyways - this evening I removed my 5770 and installed the 5850 - no problem, seemed fine, using windows 7 all looking great.

I hadn't tried any games but was adjusting my fans to test for noise etc after hearing reports of how quiet this card was....

I wanted to hear how loud the 5850 fan was at full so with all other fans at low on my controller turned the GPU fan up to 100% in catalyst... the fan wasn't too loud, impressed.... then the PC black screened.

I had to force a power down - and now continually upon restart the card black screens 5 seconds into windows.

I tried cntrl,alt,del'd straight on windows start-up... the display freezes on the teal screan.

The display is fine in safe mode, and start-up.... just getting into windows it throws one.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Right, I removed the driver in safe mode, booted into windows....... reinstalled with the latest drivers - so windows is now stable at normal resolution again.

Tried Crysis to test - and made less than 1 minute into the game at medium settings before a freeze, cut to windows and an error message regarding a problem with the display driver.

Googling gives a few driver issues with a sapphire 5850 and windows 7. Odd as this is now the latest AMD driver.

Will carry on poking around - just wondering if anyone else is getting any similar issues.

On my fifth driver install and reseating the card etc i seem to have found something stable so far.

i've given the card a working on unigine heaven benchmark and had half hour on crysis with high levels set and seems ok so far.

Hoping this was just a driver issue somehow - poss a carry over of the 5770 drivers/catalyst settings.

Back
Top Bottom