• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5900x FCLK

Associate
I've been playing around with the memory clocks on my 5900X and seen to have hit a bit of a wall. AMD said FCLK of 1900-2000 is the sweetspot for Ryzen 3, but I can't post at anything over 1800.

I'm on the latest beta bios for the MSI x570 Ace. I'd be really interested to know other people's experiences.

Associate
OP
Thanks - I'm on the latest beta with SAM support, but it doesn't look like it's worth downgrading. It didn't even try to train at 1900, just locked straight up on boot and I had to be manually clear cmos. With my 3700x it would eventually restart with the default profile.

I suspect the bios is still a bit rough around the edges, so I'll stick with 1800 for now.

Associate
OP
i cant see that been true, i cant get passed 3600mhz with my 3700x and there is people using XMP to get 4000mhz on the new 5000 chips

AMD are saying no changes to the memory controller, which is slightly worrying considering my 3700x couldn't do anything over 3200. They are promising a new AGESA in Jan that should make 3800/4000 more doable, so I'm guessing they know there are issues.

It's at 1:1 (sorry, could have been clearer). It's an 8packi b-die kit @ 3800 with very loose timings.

Associate
OP
I could do 4000MHz with pretty much the same timings I have now for 3800MHz, it's in fact easier & requires less voltage than 3800CL14.. that's why I'm sooo interested in seeing the "increased FCLK stability at high frequencies" BIOSes (I think Gigabyte released one today, it's still on old AGESA thou)
If it gives me stable (like I said, I can boot, but it throws at me WHEA warning even at idle) FCLK 2000, then perfect, if not then I'll think on tightening my 3800MHz config a bit, or not, real life improvements are minor and time you have put into really stable configuration is brutal.

Hopefully msi will have something soon too. Seem to remember the benefits of tighter timings at 3800 outweigh the speed benefit of going up to 4000 with looser timings.

Back
Top Bottom