• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5900x FCLK

Associate
I've been playing around with the memory clocks on my 5900X and seen to have hit a bit of a wall. AMD said FCLK of 1900-2000 is the sweetspot for Ryzen 3, but I can't post at anything over 1800.

I'm on the latest beta bios for the MSI x570 Ace. I'd be really interested to know other people's experiences.

Associate
This one is very tricky atm. With ASUS board I'm able to boot up to FCLK 2000MHz but it's super unstable as WHEA 19 warnings appears even at idle and performance is lower than with 1900FCLK.
With 1900FCLK everything seems super stable, Prime95, y-cruncher, TM5, Cinebench can go on for hours, no crash. Games, hours of gaming and no crash. But.. once in a while under heavy load (mostly multicore synthetic benchmarks) whea 19 bus interconnect warning is recorded.

So far I could get rid of these warnings it in two ways:
One is setting FCLK to 1600, and there's no middle ground here, 1633 and eventually WHEA will appear, so I think it's still an early BIOS issue rather than chip quality.
Second way to get rid of them is to enable ECO mode, I just discovered it yesterday so I need to play around with it to check if maybe just lowering CPU power a bit is enough. With ECO, you loose around 10% of multicore performance, hardly any single core (and game) performance, and temps are like 20 to 30 lower. I could run Prime95 with AVX enabled an hour with not a single WHEA recorded, previously it was a matter of minutes.

For MSI boards my friend said that with newest BIOS your FCLK is going to be stable, or you wont boot at all, but their wall is more around 1900MHz, while with older bioses they could boot with up to 2033 but anything above 1600 was unstable.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks - I'm on the latest beta with SAM support, but it doesn't look like it's worth downgrading. It didn't even try to train at 1900, just locked straight up on boot and I had to be manually clear cmos. With my 3700x it would eventually restart with the default profile.

I suspect the bios is still a bit rough around the edges, so I'll stick with 1800 for now.

Permabanned
I suspect the bios is still a bit rough around the edges, so I'll stick with 1800 for now.

for best performance your FCLK and MCLK should match, why are you pushing 2000FCLK with 3200mhz(1600MCLK) memory.
your problem could be the massive imbalance.
uncoupling the F/MCLK will give a performance hit you should be keeping 1:1 ratio

AMD said FCLK of 1900-2000 is the sweetspot for Ryzen 3
That with matching MCLK(2000) Memory upto 4000mhz

Last edited:
Associate
i can boot XMP 4000/fclk 2000 but the timings on XMP are not as good as my 3800 /1900 setting so i stick with that.

I dont know how stable my 4000/2000 setting was either as i didnt do any long term tests after seeing the worse latency numbers.

Im on a gigabyte b550 pro

Associate
OP
i cant see that been true, i cant get passed 3600mhz with my 3700x and there is people using XMP to get 4000mhz on the new 5000 chips

AMD are saying no changes to the memory controller, which is slightly worrying considering my 3700x couldn't do anything over 3200. They are promising a new AGESA in Jan that should make 3800/4000 more doable, so I'm guessing they know there are issues.

It's at 1:1 (sorry, could have been clearer). It's an 8packi b-die kit @ 3800 with very loose timings.

Permabanned
AMD are saying no changes to the memory controller,
That doesnt mean its not better, the production prosses will become better and yields of good controllers(i/o dies) will become better over time.

It's at 1:1 (sorry, could have been clearer). It's an 8packi b-die kit @ 3800 with very loose timings.
3800mhz is a good speed for an 3000 chip. Don't push for more, work on timings

My kit will do 4000mhz 18, 22, 22 ,42 t2 / 3600mhz 16, 19, 20, 38 t1
in every test there is zero benefit and in most scores are worse at - 4000mhz(also unstale) so i run 3600mhz
the real world benefits are none 3-5fps in games

there as been more benefit shown to run 3600mhz and 4 sticks or ram.

Associate
I could do 4000MHz with pretty much the same timings I have now for 3800MHz, it's in fact easier & requires less voltage than 3800CL14.. that's why I'm sooo interested in seeing the "increased FCLK stability at high frequencies" BIOSes (I think Gigabyte released one today, it's still on old AGESA thou)
If it gives me stable (like I said, I can boot, but it throws at me WHEA warning even at idle) FCLK 2000, then perfect, if not then I'll think on tightening my 3800MHz config a bit, or not, real life improvements are minor and time you have put into really stable configuration is brutal.

Associate
OP
I could do 4000MHz with pretty much the same timings I have now for 3800MHz, it's in fact easier & requires less voltage than 3800CL14.. that's why I'm sooo interested in seeing the "increased FCLK stability at high frequencies" BIOSes (I think Gigabyte released one today, it's still on old AGESA thou)
If it gives me stable (like I said, I can boot, but it throws at me WHEA warning even at idle) FCLK 2000, then perfect, if not then I'll think on tightening my 3800MHz config a bit, or not, real life improvements are minor and time you have put into really stable configuration is brutal.

Hopefully msi will have something soon too. Seem to remember the benefits of tighter timings at 3800 outweigh the speed benefit of going up to 4000 with looser timings.

Associate
i jsut tried the new gigabyte bios f11k and its supposed to improve FCLK overclocking but for me it just introduced so many WHEA errors that i had just spent ages getting rid of in my F11i BIOS. so for me i have gone back to F11i

Associate
If you're getting occasionally (like once in a while only when gaming, or under load) WHEA 19 bus interconnect warring, you can try one thing. Just for testing as in overall performance it may have little sense. Go to AMD OC settings, or Ryzen Master & enable ECO mode.
It kills less than 10% of multi core performance, leaves single core unaffected, memory performance is also unaffected so ~54.x ns latency for my settings, it also removes around 20C of temperature ;) and in my case it removed WHEA warnings entirely so at FCLK 1900MHz which previously was able to generate a warning with synthetic benchmarks, now I can't. I won't fix the situations where you get tons of warnings by just sitting in destkop, so for me 2000MHz is still not usable.

On a side note, it's amazing how you can remove 40% of power and only loose about 10% of power in heavy multicore tasks, tells me a lot how these CPUs are pushed to the limits

Associate
Anyone have any more luck with getting to 1900 on their 5900x since the latest round of BIOS updates?

I have the latest MSI Unify BIOS and it is certainly more stable at 1800 but still remains unstable at 1900. Is it expected there may be more improvements in the future?

Soldato
Anyone have any more luck with getting to 1900 on their 5900x since the latest round of BIOS updates?

I have the latest MSI Unify BIOS and it is certainly more stable at 1800 but still remains unstable at 1900. Is it expected there may be more improvements in the future?
I'm running 1900 on my b450 tomahawk + 5800X but waiting for agesa 1.1.9.0 to try for 2000.

Msi bios default voltages produced WHEA errors at 1900 but this was eliminated by manually tuning voltages. changes made were SOC from 1.050 > 1.075 and VDDG IOD from 0.950 > 1v

Last edited:
Associate

what settings? show a zen timings screenshot or something that shows voltages etc

Associate
what settings? show a zen timings screenshot or something that shows voltages etc
I have not tweaked any voltages yet - I am not quite up to speed and bit of a noob with AMD O/Cing. I have literally clicked XMP, switched DRAM freq to 3800 and changed FCLK to 1900.

It boots okay but getting lots of WHEA errors - maybe I should try the voltages above by Joxeon?

Back
Top Bottom