• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5900x help/advice

Soldato
Hi guys could anyone give me a bit of advice/help please , just switched over from intel and I’m struggling with this 5900x, with PBO on I get ok single threaded scores bit very poor multithreaded performance 3 ghz boost and if I overclock to 4.6ghz ok single thread and multi but quiet hot, can anyone give me a bit of direction, I can’t even find curve optimiser on my master board

Soldato
leave everything on auto and select PBO on and manual and select the TDP EDC etc. everything else including the voltages etc should be on auto. you can set XMP on ram

those settings will be available in AMD OVERCLOCKING section.

Soldato
Go Into AMD Overclocking and set PBO to Motherboard, leave all the rest on Auto for now, reboot and test.
You should get better multicore, then you can go back into the bios to the same AMD Overclocking section where in the PBO menu you should find Curve Optimizer but only if you have the latest Bios that supports it.

Soldato
OP
Go Into AMD Overclocking and set PBO to Motherboard, leave all the rest on Auto for now, reboot and test.
You should get better multicore, then you can go back into the bios to the same AMD Overclocking section where in the PBO menu you should find Curve Optimizer but only if you have the latest Bios that supports it.
I have the latest bios but there is no curve optimiser there

Soldato
If your motherboard has the latest AGESA Combov2 1.1.0.0 or higher Bios version then it should be under AMD Overclocking/Precision Boost/Curve Optimizer, i had to install the latest Beta Bios for my Aorus Elite to get it.
Possible other boards have it in a different section?

Soldato
OP
If your motherboard has the latest AGESA Combov2 1.1.0.0 or higher Bios version then it should be under AMD Overclocking/Precision Boost/Curve Optimizer, i had to install the latest Beta Bios for my Aorus Elite to get it.
Possible other boards have it in a different section?
I will have a look to see if there are any betas around, when I do get it what do I do in the curve optimiser?

Soldato
Depends, there is a thread for Curve Optimizer on these forums, generally you set PBO to use Motherboard, then some say set scaler to x10 and boost to max 200mhz, then go into the curve and set your 2 best cores on the first CCD to -5 and test, then work your way from there. You can find you best core using Ryzen Master, look on CCD0 for a gold star and white dot beside two cores.
I personally find the scaler x10 and 200mhz do nothing, so left them on auto, i then set my two best cores on CCD0 to -5 and tested and then tried -10 etc till i got a hard reset, then backed off a bit and then started trying -5 on all the other cores on both CCD0 and CCD1 till again i got a hard rest.

For testing run CPU-Z Benchmark, Cinebench and a few games..

It takes a lot of time and testing just to get better benchmark scores, in games you will see little difference so you could just set PBO to Motherboard and leave the rest on Auto and enjoy lower temps and good gaming and stability but better Multicore perf over stock.

Soldato
OP
Depends, there is a thread for Curve Optimizer on these forums, generally you set PBO to use Motherboard, then some say set scaler to x10 and boost to max 200mhz, then go into the curve and set your 2 best cores on the first CCD to -5 and test, then work your way from there. You can find you best core using Ryzen Master, look on CCD0 for a gold star and white dot beside two cores.
I personally find the scaler x10 and 200mhz do nothing, so left them on auto, i then set my two best cores on CCD0 to -5 and tested and then tried -10 etc till i got a hard reset, then backed off a bit and then started trying -5 on all the other cores on both CCD0 and CCD1 till again i got a hard rest.

It takes a lot of time and testing just to get better benchmark scores, in games you will see little difference so you could just set PBO to Motherboard and leave the rest on Auto and enjoy lower temps and good gaming and stability but better Multicore perf over stock.
Thanks for that advice buddy :D

Soldato
OP

So is the star and the dot the 2 best cores?
kTKPkz5.jpg

Soldato
Yes, the Stars are your best cores per CCD and the White Dots are the Second best core per CCD, so in your case you want cores 6 and 4... but be aware, that Ryzen Master, it starts counting cores from 1, your Bios may start at 0 like my Aorus Elite in which case you want to start with core 5 and 3 in the bios.

Soldato
OP
Yes, the Stars are your best cores per CCD and the White Dots are the Second best core per CCD, so in your case you want cores 6 and 4... but be aware, that Ryzen Master, it starts counting cores from 1, your Bios may start at 0 like my Aorus Elite in which case you want to start with core 5 and 3 in the bios.
Thanks for that, I did have the wrong cores set, so it’s just a case now of reducing the number until I get some instability, then back off a little and then matchup the rest of the cores until instability is found again ?

Soldato
OP
Is using the negative figure correct, I found a new bios so am having a play, core 3 has boosted to 5ghz core 5 is sitting @4.950 but none of the cores on the other die are boosting past 4.6ghz

Soldato
Pretty much thats it yes, set those two and find their sweet spot then you can work on the rest, i think the Gigabyte Bios's are a bit naff at the moment as they are Beta for 5000 series, i cant get anything near what others get on other boards, if i just use the PC and check HWINFO every now and then, i can see 4 cores have hit 5041, but in benchmarks and games the best is typically 4991 or 4941 in single threaded loads. my All core is throttling so cant tell what it would really max at, with the curve settings i get 4461 All core, without the curve settings and just using PBO/Motherboard i can get 4515 All core but .1c lower temps.
As i said earlier, using the Scaler x10 and Auto OC @ 200mhz options dont work on my board with the current F31j bios, so my best 2 cores are at -25 and all the rest are at -22, this gave me the best mix of single and multi core speeds, Ryzen is a balancing act, its hard to get to high single core without impacting multi core and vice versa.

Soldato
OP
Pretty much thats it yes, set those two and find their sweet spot then you can work on the rest, i think the Gigabyte Bios's are a bit naff at the moment as they are Beta for 5000 series, i cant get anything near what others get on other boards, if i just use the PC and check HWINFO every now and then, i can see 4 cores have hit 5041, but in benchmarks and games the best is typically 4991 or 4941 in single threaded loads. my All core is throttling so cant tell what it would really max at, with the curve settings i get 4461 All core, without the curve settings and just using PBO/Motherboard i can get 4515 All core but .1c lower temps.
As i said earlier, using the Scaler x10 and Auto OC @ 200mhz options dont work on my board with the current F31j bios, so my best 2 cores are at -25 and all the rest are at -22, this gave me the best mix of single and multi core speeds, Ryzen is a balancing act, its hard to get to high single core without impacting multi core and vice versa.
Yeah after so long with intel it’s like having to learn all over again, do you do anything with the platform thermal throttle limit?

Soldato
OP
All of a sudden I have got a “ operating system not found” message when booting does anyone have any idea what could have happened

never mind it must have been having a fart

Last edited:
Soldato
CPU will throttle if a) it hits its thermal ceiling 95C (i think for new zen 3) b) MOSFET gets too hot (close to 100C)

if you are sensible you will not get to those levels. so not to worry. if it gets there, you will know and then it is time to look to reduce the OC by lowering volts, scalar or set a custom TDP etc.

also if you hit thermal issues always useful to check your cooling is performing under AUTO or DEFAULT mobe just to rule out badly installed cooler

Soldato
OP
Finally got my cores boosting a bit better, still can’t break the 5ghz mark constantly though, but with all cores loaded with real bench I get 4.4ghz over all cores, also got my 3200c14 memory running at 3800 c16
orsal4h.jpg
KlhF1J9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom