• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5900x idle speed

Associate
OP
1.6ghz at idle doesn't seem right and not heard of anyone having such low idle speed.
i know google searching most the night with no real answers or any one else having this problem could be the new bios firmware not sure if i can flash it back to the old firmware was working great till then i run cinebench multi core test scales up to 4.2 at 76oc when i try single stays at 1.7 at 38oc :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
I remember the days when 800mhz was normal idle speed, if CnQ was enabled.
And as long as CPU picks up frequency under load, there is no need to worry about it. CPU frequency changes on any Ryzen is instant.
Also, having latest Windows build with latest chipset drivers helps the matter ;)

Associate
The lowest I've seen mine drop to is 2880Mhz, and that only seems to be for a split second. It's normally at 3600MHZ when idling, and that's with every power saving feature enabled and balanced power plan.

Associate
The funny thing is, Ryzen Master reports some cores even going to sleep.
As I said, Ryzen came out with some extremely sophisticated power saving features and software sensors cannot read the frequencies quick enough to portray what is really going on inside the CPU :D

Associate
OP
thanks for all your suggestion but after hours of googling and going thro every bios setting under the sun i finaly found the problem was nothing to do with my bios setting i recently had a windows 10 update and not realizing it changed my power balance to power saver and drops the cpu down to 1.7 and boost's to 4.2 when in use but on the plus side got to learn a little bit more about overclocking and pbo2 :)

Associate
The lowest I've seen mine drop to is 2880Mhz, and that only seems to be for a split second. It's normally at 3600MHZ when idling, and that's with every power saving feature enabled and balanced power plan
In advanced power options under processor power management, set minimum processor state to something lower than 100%
And with balanced power plan slider to left. That allows my CPU to idle as low as 2200MHz.
Very little difference to 3600MHz as said above, cores actually go to sleep completely, then idle frequency doesn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom