• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5900x temps / voltage

Soldato
Running this with PBO and auto cpu volts on my Crosshair VIII Hero.

Volts are peaking at 1.49 whilst gaming and temps peaking between 80-85c.

Anyone else seeing similar stats?

Soldato
Running this with PBO and auto cpu volts on my Crosshair VIII Hero.

Volts are peaking at 1.49 whilst gaming and temps peaking between 80-85c.

Anyone else seeing similar stats?
Wow I’m only seeing 80c in realbench, gaming is under 70c as my fans don’t spin up until that temp

Soldato
My 5950x sits around 70c while gaming and can pull upto 1.488v, in Cinebench Multi Core full load it hits 90c.. thats with PBO and a Curve setting.. without PBO it stays around 65-75 even under full load in cinebench but ive an Artic Freezer II 280 coming to hopefully help reduce temps, in your case it sounds like bad cooling as the voltage is normal.

Soldato
Have you enabled PBO and maxed out the limits though to allow the CPU to draw significantly more power? If not it’s not a fair comparison.
Yep PBO, which limits do I need to max out? I’m on a Aorus master MB, the latest bios I have doesn’t have curve optimiser yet, I’m struggling to get it to boost past 5ghz

Caporegime
I was messing with that and will try again, but when I tried it my single threaded scores were ok but my multi threaded was bad and my chip would only sit at 3ghz with all cores loaded
That could be because either you are temperature or thermal limited by your motherboard (perhaps).

I take it your sig is out of date? What specs.

I get best MT Cinebench scores with +50/+100Mhz in Auto OC btw, so not totally uncommon.

Soldato
That could be because either you are temperature or thermal limited by your motherboard (perhaps).

I take it your sig is out of date? What specs.

I get best MT Cinebench scores with +50/+100Mhz in Auto OC btw, so not totally uncommon.
I wouldn’t think I’m temp limited, I’m running a custom loop with 2 black ice 360 rads and the master was apparently one of the best out there

I will update my sig once I have my specs finalised

Caporegime
I wouldn’t think I’m temp limited, I’m running a custom loop with 2 black ice 360 rads and the master was apparently one of the best out there

I will update my sig once I have my specs finalised
Yep, unlikely to be temp limited then. I suspect it's a mixture of power limit via CPU or Motherboard. There comes a point where limiting the power the CPU can draw a little can help increase all core frequency and performance. It really does vary from app to app though and there's not really one size fits all.

Soldato
Yep, unlikely to be temp limited then. I suspect it's a mixture of power limit via CPU or Motherboard. There comes a point where limiting the power the CPU can draw a little can help increase all core frequency and performance. It really does vary from app to app though and there's not really one size fits all.
I am testing what you have just said and multi core is higher, I think I’m hamstrung at the minute because of no curve optimiser

Soldato
I'm getting quite frustrated with my 5950x

Cooling is 2x 420mm EK Coolstream radiators with an EK Velocity block for the CPU

Been messing around with it for 3 weeks now, temps for it seem all over the place, at stock it's fine games run around 55-60c, cinebench is around 70c
However as soon as you enable PBO, temps shoot up to 88-90c then it begins to throttle the all core boost back to 4.2ghz & single core rarely achieves more then 4.8-4.9ghz.
I've only ever seen 5ghz for a split second on a couple of cores

If I set an all core 4.5ghz overclock the old fashioned way, multiplyer 45 & voltage 1.25v, temps are acceptable. (very similar to stock)
This however limits my single core performance to 4.5ghz. To me it seems that PBO just throws far to much voltage through, or at least my motherboard does.
Water temps are around 35c after a good gaming session so I think the loop is ok. GPU runs around 45c.

Trying for 4.6ghz setting the voltage to 1.3 sends temps to 100c yet when leaving everything on auto it regularly sends 1.5v to the CPU & temps are ok.

I've reseated the block 5 or 6 times the last few days thinking there may be an issue with it, but I've been building PC's for 30+ years so
doubt I could screw up a waterblock install that many times!

Getting to the point where I may just give up for now, set it to stock & just leave it.

Caporegime
I'm getting quite frustrated with my 5950x

Cooling is 2x 420mm EK Coolstream radiators with an EK Velocity block for the CPU

Been messing around with it for 3 weeks now, temps for it seem all over the place, at stock it's fine games run around 55-60c, cinebench is around 70c
However as soon as you enable PBO, temps shoot up to 88-90c then it begins to throttle the all core boost back to 4.2ghz & single core rarely achieves more then 4.8-4.9ghz.
I've only ever seen 5ghz for a split second on a couple of cores

If I set an all core 4.5ghz overclock the old fashioned way, multiplyer 45 & voltage 1.25v, temps are acceptable. (very similar to stock)
This however limits my single core performance to 4.5ghz. To me it seems that PBO just throws far to much voltage through, or at least my motherboard does.
Water temps are around 35c after a good gaming session so I think the loop is ok. GPU runs around 45c.

Trying for 4.6ghz setting the voltage to 1.3 sends temps to 100c yet when leaving everything on auto it regularly sends 1.5v to the CPU & temps are ok.

I've reseated the block 5 or 6 times the last few days thinking there may be an issue with it, but I've been building PC's for 30+ years so
doubt I could screw up a waterblock install that many times!

Getting to the point where I may just give up for now, set it to stock & just leave it.
This was sort of the point i was trying to make above. With PBO enabled, the power draw is definitely higher than the 3000 series, which is good as you can get more performance. But, it does add more heat.

Rob, you may want to try experimenting with the PPT, TDC and EDC values. Try lowering them a little. I found you can reduce them somewhere, lowering power without hurting the all core performance too much.

Back
Top Bottom