• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5900x to 14700k worth it?

Associate
Has anyone here upgraded from a 5900x to 14700kfor gaming?
I did notice the 7800x3d does seem to beat the 14700k in most games for gaming which is it's primarily for but don't want an 8 core cpu. I also read the higher core x3d chips have issues, mainly gaming on a 34" ultrawide 1440p sim racing.

Cheers

Soldato
I've got a 7950X3D and love it, great gaming performance and decent productivity too. I upgraded from a 5700X so didn't want another 8 core cpu either. Mine fails a certain test at stock when running OCCT but this doesn't really affect me.

I'm happy with it, the AM5 socket will allow me to upgrade to something newer, possibly a 32 core CPU in a few years time we shall see.

Man of Honour
At 1440p with a 4090, the 14700K got an average FPS of 236.5 in TPU's tests and the 5900X got 186.9, so in CPU bound games (or ones with a lot of dips), you'd probably see decent gains, but 1440p UW is fairly demanding, so you'd need to know where the bottleneck usually is.

The 7800X3D is significantly faster in Assetto Corsa though (even at 4K), with Techspot reporting 149, 171 for 1% low and avg @ 1440p for a 14900K and 178, 217 for 1% low and avg @ 1440p for a 7800X3D.

Man of Honour
I have a problem with the 7800X3D though it is a very strong gaming CPU - you need a 4090 really to see the full gains and outside of 1080p those gains are much reduced, some exceptions aside where nothing else can touch it. There are much cheaper CPUs which at higher resolution and settings aren't far behind it while able to match or get very close for non-gaming uses, it can't touch the CPUs in the same price ballpark for overall non-gaming performance - even the 7600X isn't far behind it while £150 cheaper.

The 7950X3D makes up for some of the areas the 7800X3D struggles but is considerably more expensive and potentially has problems of its own due to the CCD setup though those aren't insurmountable problems.

The 14700K is considerably cheaper than the 7950X3D while very close to its performance, the only downsides really are the lack of upgrade path - though the situation with AM5 is far from clear, mediocre PCI-e 5.0 support and heat/power, for non-gaming stuff the 14700K can be 1-2 generations of performance ahead of the 7800X3D and is rarely more than single digit percentages behind the top tier CPUs for overall performance.

Soldato
I've got a 7950X3D and love it, great gaming performance and decent productivity too. I upgraded from a 5700X so didn't want another 8 core cpu either. Mine fails a certain test at stock when running OCCT but this doesn't really affect me.
Well as I’ve posted in the official 7950X3D thread my issues with OCCT stability were solved with a fresh Windows install. It’s a great CPU.

Soldato
I wouldn’t buy a 14th gen CPU new now unless you already have a compatible platform. It has zero upgrade path, at least AM5 does. Or wait for the next Intel chips, they won’t that far away in the scheme of things and a 5900x is still a capable CPU.

Soldato
The 7800X3D is a very fast CPU for the money. If you’re looking for a desktop/gaming CPU it’s the pinnacle tech in terms performance per watt plus outright gaming. If gaming is the main use of the system a 7800X3D is a no brainer IMO. If tasks are more varied then it’s worth considering other options.

The higher core count chips AM5 chips don’t generally have any issues even in windows based edge cases. The 7900X3D is a little slower in games and faster in other workloads. The 7950X3D is a little faster in game and much faster in other workload’s.

Intel are attempting to position its upper end chips between desktop workstation and under the latest Linux kernel it works pretty well apart from power use. If you’re looking for a lightweight-ish workstation type build under Linux that, dual boots windows for some gaming then the 14700 isn’t a bad chip at all.

I’ve been messing around with an Alderlake chip and W680 and it’s a decent system. Solid performance, Linux understands the P/E core topography and it’s a great foot warmer. I’m going to add a Flex 170 card and test it as a secure VDI build. It should offer decent value.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I wouldn’t buy a 14th gen CPU new now unless you already have a compatible platform. It has zero upgrade path, at least AM5 does. Or wait for the next Intel chips, they won’t that far away in the scheme of things and a 5900x is still a capable CPU.

Yep. Still got my 5900X and plan on keeping for a long time yet too. I don't care if it is a bottleneck in making me reach 200fps or something. As long as I can get at least 60fps I am good.

I am waiting for AM6 platform or whatever Intel has around that time. That is 3-4 years away yet I would imagine.

Soldato
The 7800X3D is a very fast CPU for the money. If you’re looking for a desktop/gaming CPU it’s the pinnacle tech in terms performance per watt plus outright gaming. If gaming is the main use of the system a 7800X3D is a no brainer IMO. If tasks are more varied then it’s worth considering other options.

The higher core count chips AM5 chips don’t generally have any issues even in windows based edge cases. The 7900X3D is a little slower in games and faster in other workloads. The 7950X3D is a little faster in game and much faster in other workload’s.

Intel are attempting to position its upper end chips between desktop workstation and under the latest Linux kernel it works pretty well apart from power use. If you’re looking for a lightweight-ish workstation type build under Linux that, dual boots windows for some gaming then the 14700 isn’t a bad chip at all.

I’ve been messing around with an Alderlake chip and W680 and it’s a decent system. Solid performance, Linux understands the P/E core topography and it’s a great foot warmer. I’m going to add a Flex 170 card and test it as a secure VDI build. It should offer decent value.
What do you mean the 7800x3d is good for the money for gaming, I thought it was the best gaming cheap cause of performance? Who has that crown as that's kinda put a damper on my build I done a few months ago lol.

Soldato
What do you mean the 7800x3d is good for the money for gaming, I thought it was the best gaming cheap cause of performance? Who has that crown as that's kinda put a damper on my build I done a few months ago lol.

Is good all around. The 7950X3D is the fastest.

Man of Honour

For me this says it all - at 1440p and above the CPUs which are in the same ballpark are a lot more money than the 7800X3D and 14700K, though there are cheaper CPUs which aren't far behind. For best balance of gaming and productivity nothing really touches the 14700K at the price point, unless you have concerns about future upgrade path or heat/power.

LRkYZ4D.png

Soldato
The 14th gen will be an upgrade over 5XXX series ryzen.
the question is, is the out lay worth 15% to 20% in games.

if you use a 144Hz monitor than no if you 165 or over then yes. if all you do is game then you really want the X3D

Back
Top Bottom