5GHz Wifi transfer speeds?

Soldato
6 megabytes per second or 6 megabits?

6 megabytes is around 48 megabits/sec +overheads. Not dreadfully slow but not great either.

Whats your environment like and what clients you using?

Soldato
So mobile device as a client?

What mobile is it? What wireless radio does it have? Does it support MIMO? What is the speed negotiated on the wireless connection and reported signal quality?

What are you transferring to/from?

What is your 5G Radio configuration? 40 or 80mhz chanel width? Which channel? DFS or not?

Distance from AP, obstructions?

You say nothing else is on the same 5G channel, have you done a site survey? Any overlap?

Soldato
OP
Yes, it's an LG V30. Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 which supports MIMO but my TP Link Archer C7 router does not.

Speedtest shows 176Mbps down, 362Mbps up. Signal quality at -29dBm.

I'm transferring music and video files.

I don't have channel width available on 5GHz, currently channel 36 (Auto), no DFS function.

Distance is right on top of router, no obstructions.

No survey.

Thanks.

Soldato
Being too close to the router can also cause issues, especially if the transmit power of it is drowning out your significantly less powerful mobiles radio return signal. Can you adjust the output power?

What are you transferring music and videos from? A NAS, PC, Sever, The Internet/FTP/Other?

If you are achieving 170/360 on speed test over WiFi on your mobile this indicates an issue with your media source rather than the connection.

Soldato
OP
Ah, ok, well not directly on top, around a couple of metres away.

I'm transferring from a Windows 10 PC. It is connected to a wired 1 Gigabit connection.

Speedtests show 261Mbps down and 246Mbps up.

Soldato
I'm confused with speed test. If it's all internal transfers then speed test means nothing, except where its being run from a wireless device and giving you a rough induction of available wireless transfer speed.

What protocol are you using for the file transfer? SMB presumably?

Soldato
OP
Yes, SMB.

I've tried transferring files from SSD's and mechanical drives, as well as to the phones internal memory and SD card.

They all hover around 6Mbps. As you said before, it's not abnormal but I'm wondering what I can do to improve it? A new router?

Soldato
I've got a Ubiquiti AC Lite and MIMO connecting at 400Mbit/sec.

I get 2-3Megabytes/sec to my Synology NAS. Its absolutely dire. SMB also...

Last edited:

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I transfer at about 40MB/s over wireless from a desktop to QNAP bad over SMB using the EE BB2 unit.

Tried out a Billion all in one and with the same transfers I was getting 60MB/s.

Paper thin walls and whilst being on the floor above probably not that big a ditstance between devices really.

Back
Top Bottom