6 yr old system, sell, rebuild?

Associate
Hi all,
november 2016, I decided to splash out and buy a really good pc, I bought it from ***** it cost me £7.5K
2x TITAN X pascal in sli
asus rog strix x99 motherboard
intel i7 6900k
32gb ddr4 (4x8gb) 2666
1000w psu
Corsair 760t case
2tb hard drive
1tb nvme m.2 ssd
the cpu and both GPU’s are watercooled

now I have since upgraded and this pc sits there doing nothing, my 2 youngest children (10+11) have old 1050 ti pc’s with ddr3, I am tempted to separate the two Titan x gPu’s and build the 2nd pc around the titan (splitting the ddr4) I have several Ssd’s laying around too so all I would need is A case and a motherboard, CPU and maybe a psu. Advice on which components to get would help

is this worth the effort or am I better off selling my old pc (and how much is it worth?) or breaking it down and selling?
any advice would be appreciated

Last edited:
https://ibb.co/0MgJ9vY
https://ibb.co/xM6dq62
had to post links as I cannot figure out how to upload the pics lol

i have found one of the gpu air coolers, not sure where the other has disappeared to. I don’t think their mobo is compatible as I remember when I bought the 1050ti it was the maximum they could handle

theyre only young so I don’t want to be spending a fortune so maybe £300-£400, I have managed to find
was thinking maybe a ryzen 5 4500, and a b450/550?

Yeah it wasn’t much to look at, better with the power turned on and some of the led lit up but it wasn’t bling like.
Am glad you pointed out about the Ryzen 4500, that certainly helps.

I wouldn’t say a ‘bare’ minimum as such, if I can spend a little extra for more bang for your buck then i may do so. Like you Mentioned H610 and B660, if B660 is better then I don’t mind paying it
Any recommendations as regard to the cpu cooler? Again budget in mind but VFM is important too
i have seen 5600x, mobo, ram, liquid cpu cooler bundle somewhere for £370

Last edited:
Awesome thank you for your advice
think I will add a Rgb cpu cooler and maybe the Rgb ram heatsinks just so it looks a little bling, kids love that

Last edited:
I am looking to get 2x pc’s out of the one, so I may remove just one of the titans, meaning pointless selling
I do have 4x 8g ram in the PC too, it may only be 2666 but so long as it’s compatible it’ll do for now?

I have a 1tb SSD drive, 3TB HD, Corsair 850 psu (froM The original build)
the boys old PC’s have 1x 1050, and the other is a 1050Ti
though surely the titans will easily out perform this

then new cheap cases, Rgb fans and cheap Rgb cpu cooler

Last edited:
Can’t seem to find a b660m A in stock and I will need to order these over the next day or two, so it’s either find another that’s in stock or go with the 5600+b550

edit found one for £160

Last edited:
Sorry, communication error, my original build had a Corsair 850w psu, I upgraded to 1000w, so I have a spare 850w psu for the new build, whether I go with 12100 or the 5600, I see that they use similar power 60/65w, am I ok with a cheap Rgb air cooler or am I better off with a better one or a cheap water cooler
i dont think the boys will be putting any pressure on the cpu, they mostly play Fortnite or Roblox :D

7.5k for that? ouch! This is why I would never splash out on the top end of anything. Somebody made a nice tidy profit.
At the time it was top of the range, just like now having 2x 4090’s in SLI with a 13900KF. It was a once in a lifetime splashout
Tbf, it lasted well enough for 6 years so I can’t complain
It did come with a ROG strix gaming monitor too 34” 21:9 which ain’t cheap themselves

Last edited:
Took one of the Titan x out of the old PC which I will install in the new PC, where I have encountered an issue.
I no longer have the screws that hold the stock cooler to the gpu
Am I correct in assuming they are m2.5 x 5mm screws and the 4 larger ones around the processor are m2.5 x 6.9mm?

actually from further reading before 2017 they used m2 not m2.5?

Last edited:
A little annoyed, bought all the parts, paid extra for it all to be delivered Saturday, the case turned up parcel 1 of 2, but the 2/2 hasn’t yet turned up.
DPD are useless !
DPD now say they’ll deliver Tuesday!
However the m2 screws worked on the gpu so that’s one thing.

Back
Top Bottom