£625m more for the Premiership

Man of Honour
Heh, certainly puts paid to the theory bandied about around 15 months ago about how Football was past it, nobody was interested any more and people were going to be switching off in droves, the bubble had burst and the next TV deal was going to bankrupt half the premiership :)

As I said at the time, trying to read too much into things like a mickey mouse cup game, with season ticket holders having to pay extra, played on a cold wet midweek night, featuring backup players, in a Rugby town is not going to draw in huge numbers.

Soldato
mcdermos said:
Just to play devils advocate if clubs are relying on cup runs and handouts to survive then they are not being run well. If a club is living outside of its budget its a badly run club. There are plenty of well run clubs in the conference who would quite happily take the place of those clubs who are struggling to stay afloat in the league.

Actually barnet run at close to an operating loss every year unless we get a good cup run, its actually a very well run club, but the gate receipts just dont cover standard league 2 wages, with arsenal and tottenham a few miles away its very difficult to get a good fanbase, which is similar for all lower league london teams.

luckily we have a great chairman who has supported the club through thick and thin, but there's nothing you can do if you have to compete in a league with some very rich teams, the financial damages of going back into the conference are huge.

So its not always straight forward.

Associate
chimaera said:
The only top flight teams i respect are arsenal and spurs, who play their reserve games at barnet and stevenage and in turn give them pre-season friendlies with all the income to the club. David Dein often talks about helping smaller clubs because thats where the roots of the game are.

The FA are only interested in money, they're an obsolete old boys club who have run their course.

I'm sure these aren't the only Premier League clubs that help local, lower league teams. I know that Sheffield United do for one. Reserve games are played at Chesterfield and Worksop and last year gate receipts from a match were donated to the save Rotherham fund, as well as loaning them players for nothing while still paying the full wages. Neil Warnock also sends strong sides to pre-season friendliest against local sides, including non-league ones like Sheffield F.C.

No doubt there are other teams who do this as well; they just aren't interested in the publicity like Dein is.

Soldato
TomHark said:
I'm sure these aren't the only Premier League clubs that help local, lower league teams. I know that Sheffield United do for one. Reserve games are played at Chesterfield and Worksop and last year gate receipts from a match were donated to the save Rotherham fund, as well as loaning them players for nothing while still paying the full wages. Neil Warnock also sends strong sides to pre-season friendliest against local sides, including non-league ones like Sheffield F.C.

No doubt there are other teams who do this as well; they just aren't interested in the publicity like Dein is.

I'm sure there are a few more, but sheffield united have come from the lower leagues so they know the score. As said before in the thread, its more the case of premiership teams taking advantage of teams who need the money and purposely tempting their players and then offering derisory money, there's just no respect.

Soldato
chimaera said:
The only top flight teams i respect are arsenal and spurs, who play their reserve games at barnet and stevenage and in turn give them pre-season friendlies with all the income to the club. David Dein often talks about helping smaller clubs because thats where the roots of the game are.

Liverpool moved their reserve games to Wrexham to help with their financial difficulties, before that we played them at Chester while they were going through a lean period. We play Crewe and Wrexham every pre season and take no fee for the game and all gate receipts are kept by the Wrexham and Crewe.

Associate
shine said:
Liverpool moved their reserve games to Wrexham to help with their financial difficulties, before that we played them at Chester while they were going through a lean period. We play Crewe and Wrexham every pre season and take no fee for the game and all gate receipts are kept by the Wrexham and Crewe.
Liverpool FC have been good to us with their help, considering all the problems that we've had off the pitch with being in administration and even now we're struggling to keep afloat. We've been playing the games in pre-season for the last three seasons and they always attract a full house at the Racecourse - the match back in July all of the receipts were put towards our centre of excellence for developing young talent, which Crewe are also reknowned for.

It's a great jesture from LFC, just a shame that a small quarter of our fans (mainly the "Frontliners") don't appreciate their help though. :(

Back
Top Bottom