64+ Gb ram gaming/work pc

Associate
Hi! I've been waiting for the new 40XX series cards to build a new PC, to replace my GTX 1070 gaming-work pc from 2016.Sadly the prices are too high, so I'll go with a 30XX card.
Thing is, I'm constantly running out of memory with my 32 gb ram (I do 3d modelling, rendering , and high res illustration and texture work in photoshop, and playing in VR), and I've been looking for a new possible set up on this site
for a gaming pc with 64+ , preferably 128 gb ram.
Sadly the pre-made configurations won't let me choose a high enough ram. Should I contact the site directly for information about its possibility?

Associate
There are some good kits out there. I’m using Kingston KF560C36BBEK2-64 which is fast, stable and lots of capacity. See if they can source this or something similar for you.
I think the issue @Tetras is concerned with, is that if OP wants the preferered amount of 128GB RAM in DDR5 form, there's quite a few uncertainties involved, none of which anyone have a solid answer on right now.

It might be certain DDR5 sets work, some other sets don't. What works for one known configuration (a specific CPU, not necessarily a CPU type and version, and the variations also apply for motherboards as well as what BIOS is in use), may not work for another. So it may not be a simple answer of simply asking OCUK to grab a specific set, or even with a specfic base configuration to install the RAM into (as it may be certain motherboards wouldn't accept 128GB no matter what, but this could be the CPU or the motherboard as the culprit).

64GB sets of DDR5 however, I fully agree with you that there are a myriad of sets out there that are suitable for what OP has described of their use cases. But if OP also wants to upgrade in the future to 128GB from 64GB, the issue of compatibility between RAM sets comes up again.

For example, for every story like mine https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/7950x-optimisations-anything-more-for-me-to-do.18967657/ , there's a whole search engine full of others who failed to get their 128GB RAM systems working or be stable, even though they use the majority of the same parts, or even totally identical parts.

So OP may need to temper their expectations if they do ask OCUK to build a system to have 128GB working on it, as OCUK may simply need to go through loads of sets and base configurations (that may not be what OP wants) to find a set that "works" together as a system. And this working set (DDR5 or other parts) may not be what OP originally wanted.

Associate
OP
I think the issue @Tetras is concerned with, is that if OP wants the preferered amount of 128GB RAM in DDR5 form, there's quite a few uncertainties involved, none of which anyone have a solid answer on right now.

It might be certain DDR5 sets work, some other sets don't. What works for one known configuration (a specific CPU, not necessarily a CPU type and version, and the variations also apply for motherboards as well as what BIOS is in use), may not work for another. So it may not be a simple answer of simply asking OCUK to grab a specific set, or even with a specfic base configuration to install the RAM into (as it may be certain motherboards wouldn't accept 128GB no matter what, but this could be the CPU or the motherboard as the culprit).

64GB sets of DDR5 however, I fully agree with you that there are a myriad of sets out there that are suitable for what OP has described of their use cases. But if OP also wants to upgrade in the future to 128GB from 64GB, the issue of compatibility between RAM sets comes up again.

For example, for every story like mine https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/7950x-optimisations-anything-more-for-me-to-do.18967657/ , there's a whole search engine full of others who failed to get their 128GB RAM systems working or be stable, even though they use the majority of the same parts, or even totally identical parts.

So OP may need to temper their expectations if they do ask OCUK to build a system to have 128GB working on it, as OCUK may simply need to go through loads of sets and base configurations (that may not be what OP wants) to find a set that "works" together as a system. And this working set (DDR5 or other parts) may not be what OP originally wanted.
If its for 3d rendering, would DDR4 be impractical? I will be honest, I am not as up to date as used to be, I'm not sure if I need DDR5, is it better to have 64 gb of DDR5 or go with DDR4 128.
I did find some existing set ups on the site now, more compared to last year. So things are visibly changing.

Soldato
I've been looking for a new possible set up on this site
for a gaming pc with 64+ , preferably 128 gb ram.

Level1Techs did a video about high amounts of RAM

Something you might consider, though, is that Intel are about to launch their enthusiast / prosumer Xeon CPUs and the lower-end ones are apparently affordable and going to be available.

Man of Honour
If its for 3d rendering, would DDR4 be impractical? I will be honest, I am not as up to date as used to be, I'm not sure if I need DDR5, is it better to have 64 gb of DDR5 or go with DDR4 128.
I did find some existing set ups on the site now, more compared to last year. So things are visibly changing.

If you NEED 128GB for your work then yes, it will be preferable, but DDR4 restricts you to AM4 or 13th gen and something like the 7900 non-X is an attractive option to have for a mix of gaming and long-run workloads (review).

Back
Top Bottom