64 or 32 bit Win7?

Soldato
What should I install? I heard 64 bit has some probs. & you need 64 bit drivers & apps. I just game in windows though, so 64bit is overkill huh?

Soldato
*sigh* another day and the same question that has been asked zillions of times before. the answer is to simply use 64bit.

yes you need 64bit drivers but as microsoft won't digitally sign them unless hardware manufacturers submit 32bit AND 64bit versions, the point is moot. 32bit apps run fine. infact there are still relatively few apps that are 64bit only. certainly not games anyway.

and no, there are no problems. what you've "heard" is crap. there is only one reason to run 32bit these days - and that's if your cpu isn't capable of running 64bit. it's been the defacto standard for years now. even the cheapest of cheap OEM machines ship with it as standard. case in point being an advent laptop i got for xmas had it pre-installed. it has a crappy single core celeron but even that is capable of running 64bit windows.

Soldato
Use to use XP64 Pro many years ago, had it better driver support it might have fared better.
Using Win 7 64bit since it first appeared, driver support is superb, have a hp printer about 8 years old works flawlessly with W7 64, whereas with Vista I couldn't get it to work.

Soldato
I wanted to put this into a corporate enviroment, ***** nightmare.
Where I work, if a system has 4GB of ram its normally 32 bit we install, 8gb+ then 64 bit, with the exception of a few computers because CTIOS (cisco stuff) apparently doesn't work on 64bit.

For home use though your struggle to find something what won't work on 64bit I imagine.

Back
Top Bottom