• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6420 cheaper than 6400?

Associate
Just seen the new C2D's on OCUK and seems pretty strange that 6420 is cheaper and the 6400. Also that the 4400 is cheaper than 4300. The only logical reason i can see is that it is a reflection on the price drops of the C2D's on (dunno if its still the right date) 22nd April. Any one know the real reason or was I right?

Soldato
bonsc said:
Are they dropping next week and will we see the prices drops on here

Well, you've already seen a price drop as the faster new CPU's are cheaper than the older ones, so it will be hard for anyone to justify buying an E4300 over an E4400 if the faster CPU is £15 less. And that goes across the whole range, so, yes, I think we'll see a drop across the board, if not on Monday, then certainly by the following Monday.

Soldato
E6400 is now a discontinued product from the 22nd so any stock bought in before the price drops will not be reduced, this is why we have the price difference.

Product pricing on most E-tailors will change on Monday, if one changes then the rest usually follow as you can loose hufge amounts of business if you are more expensive even for a few days.

Associate
WJA96 said:
Well, you've already seen a price drop as the faster new CPU's are cheaper than the older ones, so it will be hard for anyone to justify buying an E4300 over an E4400 if the faster CPU is £15 less. And that goes across the whole range, so, yes, I think we'll see a drop across the board, if not on Monday, then certainly by the following Monday.

I bet the E-tailors will sell the slower more expensive cause there are always some stupid people around :p For example, http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-110-IN&groupid=595&catid=597&subcat=640

You can buy 2 quad cores unstead of this!

Soldato
Dyson said:
Already been about a £30 price drop on E6600's.

It varies - some places have had it at £180 Incl. delivery for quite a while, so there could still be cuts to come.

I think it's fair to say that the market is 'muddled' at the moment. As always in IT, your best friend is time as more power always comes cheaper if you wait.

Soldato
drak3 said:
I bet the E-tailors will sell the slower more expensive cause there are always some stupid people around :p For example, http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-110-IN&groupid=595&catid=597&subcat=640

You can buy 2 quad cores unstead of this!

Yes, but I'd wager that's a special business case. I'm pretty certain that there are good accountancy reasons for that CPU being in the B-grade section at that price, but I think that my speculating about OcUK's accountancy practises - even perfectly legal and sensible ones - is unnecessary.

Soldato
Journey said:
E6400 is now a discontinued product from the 22nd so any stock bought in before the price drops will not be reduced, this is why we have the price difference.

But who's going to pay more for a discontinued CPU with half the cache of it's cheaper replacement? Any remaining stock would have to be discounted, surely?

Soldato
As already said, I'm sure the 6300 and 6400 will come down lower than the 6320 and 6420 respectively. They just can't drop the price yet as the cuts aren't in action yet. Well not all of them anyway.

Will definitely be interesting to see if the e4400 clocks any better than the e4300 however

Soldato
WJA96 said:
But who's going to pay more for a discontinued CPU with half the cache of it's cheaper replacement? Any remaining stock would have to be discounted, surely?

Yeah, but in order to make most money why reduce the price on something you still have in stock OCUK only have the 6420 on Pre-order, so if you want it now and are not willing to wait then get the 6400.

Intel will also more than likely offer dealers rebates on stock that they have in when the price cuts happen to help ofset the loss, so the 6400 will be reduced but I don't see there being that much stock left anyhow.

Distro's and Retailers will have been made aware many weeks in advance about this price cut so the can avoid having to much stock when it occurs.

Soldato
Journey said:
Yeah, but in order to make most money why reduce the price on something you still have in stock OCUK only have the 6420 on Pre-order, so if you want it now and are not willing to wait then get the 6400.

Agreed.

Journey said:
Intel will also more than likely offer dealers rebates on stock that they have in when the price cuts happen to help ofset the loss, so the 6400 will be reduced but I don't see there being that much stock left anyhow.

Distro's and Retailers will have been made aware many weeks in advance about this price cut so the can avoid having to much stock when it occurs.

Also agreed - I can't remember the last time I saw single digit stock figures next to a Core2Duo. They say they have 5 E4300's, 9 E6300's and 10+ E6400's so they've managed their stock pretty well at OcUK ;)

Associate
WJA96 said:
Agreed.

Also agreed - I can't remember the last time I saw single digit stock figures next to a Core2Duo. They say they have 5 E4300's, 9 E6300's and 10+ E6400's so they've managed their stock pretty well at OcUK ;)

Where has all the new chips gone, they was pre-order yesterday and then sold-out and back to preorder, i was going to take a drive to ocuk but no fear i've just seen the E6420 for £116 inc vat from another e-trader :) happy days

Last edited:
Soldato
Nicfish said:
Yeah ive been waiting for ages for these prices to drop. Cant wait to finally upgrade from my 754 3400+ :p

I got the same CPU.. im going to wait a month or two tho.. as i have read a few papers from AMD about there new chips out soon.. And im a bit of an AMD fan so tempted.

Plus i need to see how the R600's fair up.

Associate
OP
Thats my problem. I have been wanting to upgrade for ages. But everytime i go to do it I find out that it gets cheaper in a month or whatever. Then when that comes around, there is something new and better for the same price coming out next month. lol Its just a visous circle. So im just gonna do it when the prices drop and be happy! And besides, the last intel i had was a Pentium 166 :D :D :D So i should give em a chance!

Back
Top Bottom