• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6700xt Upgrade

Not worth the upgrade. Less than 50% average gains in performance.

Hold tight for something better. Which may be a while considering rumours of AMD refreshing existing parts for 8000 series and Nvidia running away with silly pricing even more.

Not worth the upgrade. Less than 50% average gains in performance.

Hold tight for something better. Which may be a while considering rumours of AMD refreshing existing parts for 8000 series and Nvidia running away with silly pricing even more.
Don’t forget the 7800xt can be overclocked up to 15% more than stock performance so the gain is really 45-50% over the stock 6700xt performance. I think it is worth the upgrade imo.

Last edited:
Don’t forget the 7800xt can be overclocked up to 15% more than stock performance so the gain is really 45-50% over the stock 6800 performance. I think it is worth the upgrade imo.

I think it's a worthwhile upgrade in terms of the uplift - 50% is fairly substantial - but not a very good value upgrade.

If you sold the 6700 XT for £250 then picked up a 7800 XT for £500 you're spending double for that 50% uplift plus whatever you've lost on the purchase price of the 6700 XT.

It's exactly the same situation I find myself in with a 6900 XT and no upgrade path that isn't poor value for money. This generation sucks.

Hi i am thinking of upgrading my 6700xt to a 7800xt , Do you think it would be worth it ? i would like a 7900xt but i cant stretch to that unfortunately
if the games you are playing do not perform yes its worth it

but.. if everything is fine I personally wouldnt bother obviously the 6700xt has value now which will decrease

Yeah probably not really worth it is it ? i might wait for the 8000 series or find a 7900 in the MM (but im not sure how to use it lol )
For MM access you need 1000 total posts, 180 days membership and to have posted 15 or more times in the last 90 days in areas other than 'testing' and 'new members'
I believe posts in General Discussion no longer count towards total post count, but DO count towards the 15/90 days (@Feek - just tagging you in here in case I've misunderstood any parts of that)

Im also toying with the idea of upgrading from my 6700xt, the value proposition of this card is one of the best I have experienced. I'm leaning towards waiting for the next generation and bumping some setting down to ride me over. I really think that's the best option, for me at least.

For perspective, these charts from Tom's hardware shows what performance is currently available.
Annoyingly the charts are a mix of both Rasterisation and RT, but surprisingly AMD GPUs aren't dragged down by much in this mixed set of benchmarks.
Otherwise bump AMD up a bit and Nvidia down a bit if only considering raster, e.g. 7900XTX is usually better than 4080 in raster, same for 7800xt vs 4070.
FdRiTpZ.png

IJRZUzp.png

8FSTKN5.png

Unless one wants to play 4k, 50% better than a 6700xt is 6900xt or roughly 7800xt/4070 level. I.e. £500+
Double a 6700xt is around 7900xt/4070ti level, i.e. £750+. Just over double the cost of a new 6700xt for double the performance.
So to get any reasonable performance boosts, it'll generally cost several hundred quid.

There's no benefit cost-wise to upgrading now. Unless these Supers from Nvidia shake things up with better pricing this year (unlikely), it'll probably be a generation or two till there's anything woorth upgrading to from a 6700xt, if one doesn't want to just pay more money for the extra performance.

Last edited:
Im in the same predicament - 6700xt mainly play at 1440p but do get some frames that are lower then 60 (also running a 120hz monitor atm (lgc2)) so wouldnt mind the benefit of that. One thing I am concerned about is the wattage of the gpus - should I be concerned. Im leaning toward getting the gpu 7800xt as why not a 35% gain and this way I wont be looking at my fps so much when its dipping below 60.

The way I would look at this is, do you feel you need to upgrade or do you just want to? ...you said you can't really stretch to a 7900XT, but this is the thing, to really see the gains you will need to do that or it's just going to be very incremental really, you can meassure the difference sure and sometimes it can be quite a lot but weather you would actually notice it in practice when not watching an fps monitor ...I dunno, depends what you play really. I would hold off a bit, wait and see what the new Nvidia supers are like and also see how the market reacts, you might find you can get more for your money 3-4 weeks from now than right now, also, perhaps save a bit more to make the upgrade worthwhile or you'll only find yourself back in the same position again sooner, I know, I've been there, many times.

Last edited:
It's exactly the same situation I find myself in with a 6900 XT and no upgrade path that isn't poor value for money. This generation sucks.
Exactly the same boat here with my 6800 XT. Even a 30% ish upgrade to the 7900 XT is nearly £500 assuming a sell on price of roughly £300-£350 for my current card.

The 7800 XT would be a good upgrade performance wise, just up to you whether the outlay is worth it, whether you'd like the extra performance or need it for certain games etc. It's certainly not as poor value as in my case, especially with the OC potential of those cards.

Back
Top Bottom