• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6800GT to Ultra flash, Worth it?

Soldato
Is it worth flashing my 6800gt to Ultra? are there any other advantages other than a 0.1volt increase, I heard that the ultra bios has tighter ram timings, is this true?

At the moment my GT is @ 440/1.17 clock speeds with standard leadtek cooler.

Permabanned
OK, I assume this is a AGP card ?.

Well you got to be carefull cause some GT's use 2.0ns ram not 1.6ns, check yours, and the 0.1v gain can be set in your bios easily anyhow, most like me ran a modded gainward golden sample bios for a GT on our Ultras as it had tighter ram timmings and I got a 300 point gain in 3dmark 2005 at same default Ultra clocks in my case 425/1100, but the card would overclock more than the Ultra bioses even with tighter ram timmings.

The fact is no matter what you read, a GT will never be a Ultra, even if same 1.6ns ram its not got 2 molex (well 1 card, a special build did but I cant remember brand) and the pcb is not meant to like 1.4v or more prolonged use, lots got issues but were fine on Ultra, I ran mines at 1.6v but meter read as 1.55v so i feel bios cant be modded by 1.55v, its needs hardware mod which is easy to do.

If your on AGP, that bios would help you but upto you if you try 1.4v or more, esp as I guess you only have 1 molex, it does however run a 350mhz 2D clock with 1.1v so its cooler overall outside 3D.

Soldato
OP
Yeah the card is AGP.
How can I tell if the card has 1.6ns ram, Its the leadtek one so it has a huge copper heatsink covering all the ram modules. Also what would be a good overclock for a GT, and how can I get more out of mine?
Also isnt the 3d and 2d clocks supposed to be the same?

Permabanned
1) Good question, without looking at markings on ram, but I think most good manu's like yours used 1.6ns same as Ultra's

2) Dont know but I give you link to the forum with the best modded bios for it (old now though) >>> http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7215 <<<

3) No some peeps had to make both 2d and 3d speeds same as they got stuttering over in mvktech forums, meaning core speeds, cause by default the memory speed is same for 2d and 3d and its said you can get issues if you make them different, I have recently and have no issues though, my Ultra's running only 1.1v on 2d @ 350/1000 and 1.6 (measures 1.55v real) on 3d @ 475/1250, most cards not all, do have the 2d and 3d volts different thats why 3d can have more core mhz, I have however seen EVGA Ultra Extreme bios with same 1.4v for both 2d and 3d.

Back
Top Bottom