7-second disconnections during TF2 (Win 7 RC)

Associate
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me or had any ideas on what to check.

Whilst playing TF2, every now and then (no set pattern of frequency, seems to be random), i lose my connection to the server I'm playing on for 7 seconds, then it reacquires. Kind of annoying.

I don't have this problem when using Windows Vista (dual-boot)

I've tried re-installing the network adapter drivers but still nothing's really working. disabled 802.11n mode.

Specs:
Acer Aspire 5930G
C2D P7350 2 GHz
3 GB RAM
Geforce 9600M GT
Intel Wifi Link 5100 AGN
Windows 7 RC 32-bit
Virgin Media 10mbit line
Forget the router but its the one supplied by virgin

any suggestions on what other settings i could tweak?

Associate
do you know if it is jsut the connection to the game server or everything else? (ie does your msn sign out or anything?)

have you tried changing your rates in the game?

Associate
OP
yeah tried altering rates in-game, currently matched to my vista installation

i'm not 100% certain but it would seem that browsing on firefox is halted during these 7-second episodes (i play windowed mode so it's quick to switch), which is why i suspect it may be something inherently wrong with Win 7 RC

Associate
OP
yep, the command prompt ping is interrupted, (pinged a website). although with the pinging going on in the background, the timeout period was less, maybe only 3-4 seconds

Man of Honour
Sounds like it's probably being caused by wireless polling. To be sure, try pinging your router continually from a cmd prompt for a few mins and see if it drops out (worth doing anyway to check latency, should be 1ms or less ideally, anymore and you might want to try moving your aerial etc around).
If so, try using this: http://www.martin-majowski.de/wlanoptimizer/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom