• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

754 sempron choice

Soldato
hey guys, i'm tryin to work out which would offer the best performance with 512megs of random no name ram

Sempron 2800+ or 3000+

their socket 754, the 2800+ seems to have more L2 cache, but the 3000+ has a faster clock

cheers

Soldato
As far as I'm aware all the current socket 754 Semprons are good overclockers. I think they are based on the 'Vencie core' of the AMD64 but with a smaller sized cache (128K or 256K as opposed to 512K).

I'd go with a model with the larger cache as this is likely to help the performance.

Hope this helps :)

Soldato
OP
they wont be clocked, just ran at stock. it is a bit fo a tough q as the benefits from having double the cache are soon countered by the extra clock. glad you said the one with the higher cache :), its cheaper lol

Soldato
Roll said:
{snip}I'd go with a model with the larger cache as this is likely to help the performance{snip}
Ditto :)

Might be wrong, but 128K vs 256K you might feel a (big) difference as opposed to 512K vs 1MB :)

Last edited:
Soldato
cokecan72 said:
they wont be clocked, just ran at stock.

A lot of people buy them to clock the pants off them and get some pretty good results, 2.6Ghz and over Isn't uncommon :D

Good luck with whichever chip you choose.

Associate
deffo get the 2800, the extra cache makes quite a lot of difference more then the speed increase, ill try and find some benches for you

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom