• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

780 6Gb reference cooler?

Associate
I'd love to know whether OCUK will be stocking a 6Gb 780 reference cooler design at any point? If I'm running a few cards in one box I'd prefer them to exhaust out the back rather than into the case.

Cheers!

Associate
OP
arc@css - been here 5 years and I never noticed the customer services section. I'll do that now, ta.

Gerard - just did some more research and it looks like you're right, even EVGA seem to have changed their mind about producing a ref cooler design :/

Associate
-He'll be using it for GPU rendering, so the card's VRAM will have to contain all meshes, textures etc, very different use-case to gaming.

Associate
I don't think the premium for 6GB is bad at all on the 780s considering:

You can get a 6GB Gainward 780 for 430.

Before the 780 price drop a lot 3GB 780s were already over 430. Even now there are 3GB 780s more expensive than that.

Titan Black is basically a 780Ti with 6GB and £270+ price difference. If we are talking about gaming use.

Better to have more than less when there is not a huge markup in price over the 3GB 780s. There are a few games pushing 3GB on 1080p like watchdogs I believe. It won't hurt your resale value or if you plan to later go SLI it could last a good few years with good performance in games that scale.

Associate
OP
Quixote has it bang on, I'm in I guess a pretty small group of people who will really benefit from the extra Vram available. The tiny price premium over regular 780s makes it a great deal.

I can see nvidia getting a lot of mileage from cuda-based gpu renderers, I've already invested in several cards and at work we've gone all out. Its a dramatic speed and quality increase from what we've been used to until now (mental ray). Can see nvidia picking up a fair few sales for gpu farms.

Back
Top Bottom