• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7800X3D now or wait?

Soldato
I'm going to try some new RAM, not because I'll get any benefit running at 6000 rather than whatever it is now but because I want to see if my MOBO (X670E-E) will actually allow me to boot using EXPO with a QVL RAM.
you're 100% sure that the sticks are in the correct slots? my current board, didn't follow intuition at all, the manual seemed wrong but it was in fact correct.( I have the X670E-A ,
also, are you sure thart you are choosing the correct profile? I wanted to see if my current ram would do 6000mhz, and I ended up choosing the6000mhz x2 16 GB profile by mistake, idk if you have similar, but almost the same profiles, for rated speeds, at differing total amount of ram, worth checking!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@Dirk Diggler just to double check that, so you're saying it was only a 2% from a 5900x to 7800x3d?

Bit rubbish if so and will likely stick with my 5900x...
I didn't get a chance to game on the new system, but when I do I'll share what difference I think it's made.

Remember, although you're gaming at 4k if you use FSR then you're no longer at 4k

Soldato
What are people's boot times like, my boot and shut down is so slow.
Tempted to upgrade to the latest firmware, but doesn't seem to improve anything for some people.
Have the MSI x670e carbon. Read MSI don't have the best firmware?
Currently stable, so prob best just to leave it alone and put up with it. Just seems silly having a decent PC with super slow boot and shut down.

Associate
Tempted to upgrade to the latest firmware, but doesn't seem to improve anything for some people.
Currently stable, so prob best just to leave it alone and put up with it. Just seems silly having a decent PC with super slow boot and shut down.
ASrock B650m HDV here - super quick, below 20 seconds, in fact quicker than 13900k/z690 combo.

Soldato
ASrock B650m HDV here - super quick, below 20 seconds, in fact quicker than 13900k/z690 combo.
Do you have the memory checking feature on?
My shut downs can be longer than booting! Occasionally it's quick to shut down.

Boot is always a long time to post, then it's normal speed.

Associate
Do you have the memory checking feature on?
My shut downs can be longer than booting! Occasionally it's quick to shut down.

Boot is always a long time to post, then it's normal speed.
Yes, I have disabled memory context restore and its still very fast. Shut down not sure - I always leave the room.

Associate
Is it degrading to the ram to not have it on?
I guess I could turn off anyway and see if it speeds up.
Its better to have it off - generally more stable to train memory each boot, but the downside is that it takes longer to boot.
Ive read that with newer AGESAs it doesnt really matter much anymore.

Last edited:
Soldato
you're 100% sure that the sticks are in the correct slots? my current board, didn't follow intuition at all, the manual seemed wrong but it was in fact correct.( I have the X670E-A ,
also, are you sure thart you are choosing the correct profile? I wanted to see if my current ram would do 6000mhz, and I ended up choosing the6000mhz x2 16 GB profile by mistake, idk if you have similar, but almost the same profiles, for rated speeds, at differing total amount of ram, worth checking!

100% sure on sticks. Manual recommends for two sticks you use the A2 and B2 slots which are the second and fourth respectively.

Not sure on profiles:

On my bios there is a memory frequency (auto) setting to 6000 doesn't boot. There is no distinction on memory size, just speed.

On the ai over clock tuner there is DOCP I/II/Tweaked and those will also not work.
The memory actually is 6000mhz so it's weird I can't run it at it's normal rate. Oh unless I was actually sent the wrong ram and that's why it crashes! Way past the return window if that's the case lol.
The memory was clearly aimed at intel users, I wonder if that made a difference as it was talking about Z690.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mine aren't as fast as my old am4 system that's for sure, even with a pcie5.0 m.2 but on the other hand things open within windows super fast, near instant for opening firefox
if your boot times are stupidly long then you have to turn off boot memory training on every boot
it's called memory training restore or something like that, I think that it needs to be off.

My power button is set to switch off the computer in windows, and that is pretty instant tbh

Last edited:
Soldato
@Dirk Diggler just to double check that, so you're saying it was only a 2% from a 5900x to 7800x3d?

Bit rubbish if so and will likely stick with my 5900x...

I went from a 5900X to a 7900X3D and game at 4K with an RTX 4080. Most games saw no real improvement on average but the minimums improved in quite a few. A few other games saw massive gains, such as MSFS going from 45 FPS to 75 FPS over New York. So if you play MSFS a lot, you get a massive improvement. If not your gains will be modest.

In contrast I upgraded my son’s 5600X to a 5800X3D. It is used to game on a 7900 XT at 1440p. Games saw quite an improvement overall because at this lower resolution the 5600X was bottlenecking the GPU.

Soldato
Mine aren't as fast as my old am4 system that's for sure, even with a pcie5.0 m.2 but on the other hand things open within windows super fast, near instant for opening firefox
if your boot times are stupidly long then you have to turn off boot memory training on every boot
it's called memory training restore or something like that, I think that it needs to be off.

My power button is set to switch off the computer in windows, and that is pretty instant tbh
PC runs fast, that's all good. Why I haven't really been bothered, but it's been a few months and thought about it, that there might be some improvements.

Think I'll just leave it as it is.

Pressing my power button shuts the PC down, but it's the same speed as clicking shut down.

I'd say 1 out of this instant shut down, the rest sit there, I can see some numbers on the mobo counting down, not sure if it does memory training when shutting down?

Soldato
I'm at 1440p with a 7900xtx and 5900x

Really want to pull the trigger but can't justify it with those gains

It’s been shown going from a 5900x to a 5800x3d for just games gives about 10% on average. It all depends really on how you have games set up and what you play.

But the 7800x3d is again about 10% on the 5800x3d.again all subject to games and settings

My boy had a 5600 that’s died so spent a week with a 3600 and the upgrade was massive. Even over the 5600 there was a noticeable improvement

Soldato
say 1 out of this instant shut down, the rest sit there, I can see some numbers on the mobo counting down, not sure if it does memory training when shutting down?
idk, but I doubt it is memory training on shutdown, are you on win11? AFAIK win 11 is slower to start up/shutdown, than win 10, I'm on win 10
have you tried playing with fast startup on, and off?

Soldato
MCR enabled and boot times are much better, seems to be running stable.

Not sure over time if it will go bad, what does no training of the RAM cause? Can I just turn it on a few times every month?

Caporegime
Ive recently moved to a 7800x3d, gigabyte aourus 670 elite AX and 32gb Corsair dominator at 6000mhz. With expo on.

Boot time with a WD sn850x (pcie4) in the pcie 5 m2 spot.

With fast boot on is literally seconds. Under 10. A few times it's as fast as resuming from hibernation. I laughed how fast it was.

However.....
I started tweaking the ram a bit more and it's just bsod underload no matter what I've tried so I literally gave up.
My CPU doesn't seem to be a good sample either I don't think it boosts bast 4.7ghz which is sad :(.
Although it's not all about clock speed these days is it?

Anyway buyers remorse as ever. I always upgrade at the worst times.
Buying EOL tech or not so good upgrades as the 4070tisuper...
You think I'd have learned by now....do a lot more research and get asbestos lined pockets.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom