• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7800X3D Usage and Temperature Spiking - Is this a problem?

Associate
Hello,

Yesterday I built my new PC, upgrading from my previous 8700K (5GHz 8 Pack bundle from OCUK) and 1080Ti setup. My build is based around the 7800X3D and a 4090, as it's primarily used for gaming. I purchased the 7800X3D as part of a upgrade bundle that included 32GB DDR5 6000 (CL30) and a H150i Elite LCD AIO. However, I'm encountering some unusual CPU usage and temperature spikes in Windows 11 from the get go, particularly when downloading games on Steam or installing software. It doesn't seem to matter what game or software it is—during a Steam download, the CPU usage sits at 65-70% constant, and I notice this because the radiator fans ramp up. If I cap the download speed on Steam, the CPU load decreases. I understand that Steam performs some unpacking for certain games during downloads, but this behaviour seems unusual to me. My 8700K never behaved like this (or if it did, I definitely didn't notice). Occasionally, just opening a browser or repositioning windows and opening application will cause CPU usage spikes of up to 100%, met with temperature spikes reaching 85-89°C on the package CPU temp. Any substantial load on the CPU, such as running Cinebench R23 or other stress tests, easily pushes the temperature to 89°C, and I've even seen it hit 90°C. Disabling EXPO (1) and using BIOS defaults results in an about 2-3°C reduction in package temperature under load, but this doesn't affect the spikes and load behaviour I'm experiencing (and hearing from the radiator fans). The bundle was received with the burn in testing results showing a max temperature of 89°C, which raised concerns even before I assembled the system.

I initially suspected that the pre-applied thermal paste or the CPU cooler's seating (the motherboard arrived with the CPU and cooler already attached) might be the issue, but repasting with Thermal Grizzly and reseating the cooler made no difference, leaving me at a loss—could the cooler itself be defective?

Is this normal behaviour for AMD and the 7800X3D?

Additional specs:

MB: ASUS X670E Hero (latest BIOS, PBO disabled, EXPO 1 on)
PSU: HXi1200
Storage: 2x 2TB 990 Pro in the PCIe 5.0 NVMe slots

(Please let me know if I've missed any relevant details.)

I'm just looking for a sanity check, as my previous build never exhibited this behaviour, albeit on Windows 10.

Many thanks in advance :)

modern chips especially Ryzen work differently than your old chip and with the 7800X3D the temp limit is 89Degrees and it's easier to think of it as a target temp as the CPU will give you as much performance as it can until it reaches this temp. With such a large cooler though I'd expect it to be like mine and top out about 80degrees in cinebench as it cant boost any higher. Worth checking your pump is running fast enough

I only built my 7800X3D system last weekend so been testing throughout the week. So my temps are relevant to yours as ambient will be similar. What is your Cinebench 23 score? Can judge from that how much its throttling to stay at 89 degrees.

The heat spot is so small on these CPU's as well you just cant remove the heat quick enough as the cores are under a layer of cache, the best thing to do to stop the fans ramping so quickly there will be settings in your bios to make the fans ramp more slowly.

Hello,

Yesterday I built my new PC, upgrading from my previous 8700K (5GHz 8 Pack bundle from OCUK) and 1080Ti setup. My build is based around the 7800X3D and a 4090, as it's primarily used for gaming. I purchased the 7800X3D as part of a upgrade bundle that included 32GB DDR5 6000 (CL30) and a H150i Elite LCD AIO. However, I'm encountering some unusual CPU usage and temperature spikes in Windows 11 from the get go, particularly when downloading games on Steam or installing software. It doesn't seem to matter what game or software it is—during a Steam download, the CPU usage sits at 65-70% constant, and I notice this because the radiator fans ramp up. If I cap the download speed on Steam, the CPU load decreases. I understand that Steam performs some unpacking for certain games during downloads, but this behaviour seems unusual to me. My 8700K never behaved like this (or if it did, I definitely didn't notice). Occasionally, just opening a browser or repositioning windows and opening application will cause CPU usage spikes of up to 100%, met with temperature spikes reaching 85-89°C on the package CPU temp. Any substantial load on the CPU, such as running Cinebench R23 or other stress tests, easily pushes the temperature to 89°C, and I've even seen it hit 90°C. Disabling EXPO (1) and using BIOS defaults results in an about 2-3°C reduction in package temperature under load, but this doesn't affect the spikes and load behaviour I'm experiencing (and hearing from the radiator fans). The bundle was received with the burn in testing results showing a max temperature of 89°C, which raised concerns even before I assembled the system.

I initially suspected that the pre-applied thermal paste or the CPU cooler's seating (the motherboard arrived with the CPU and cooler already attached) might be the issue, but repasting with Thermal Grizzly and reseating the cooler made no difference, leaving me at a loss—could the cooler itself be defective?

Additional specs:

MB: ASUS X670E Hero (latest BIOS, PBO disabled, EXPO 1 on)
PSU: HXi1200
Storage: 2x 2TB 990 Pro in the PCIe 5.0 NVMe slots

(Please let me know if I've missed any relevant details.)

I'm just looking for a sanity check, as my previous build never exhibited this behaviour, albeit on Windows 10.

Many thanks in advance :)
To try and make the fan speed less, UP-DOWN-UP-DOWN, I set the lower temp part of the fan curve higher than it needs so its almost a straight line until ~50C and then it climes to 100% at ~75C. For me, this helps stop the UP-DOWN fan noise. You could also set ECO-105 to drop the temps a small amount.

modern chips especially Ryzen work differently than your old chip and with the 7800X3D the temp limit is 89Degrees and it's easier to think of it as a target temp as the CPU will give you as much performance as it can until it reaches this temp. With such a large cooler though I'd expect it to be like mine and top out about 80degrees in cinebench as it cant boost any higher. Worth checking your pump is running fast enough

I only built my 7800X3D system last weekend so been testing throughout the week. So my temps are relevant to yours as ambient will be similar. What is your Cinebench 23 score? Can judge from that how much its throttling to stay at 89 degrees.

The heat spot is so small on these CPU's as well you just cant remove the heat quick enough as the cores are under a layer of cache, the best thing to do to stop the fans ramping so quickly there will be settings in your bios to make the fans ramp more slowly.
A run just now gave 17032. Result is inconsistent though, lowest I've seen is approx. 16980. It is capable of 17746, per a screenshot of the burn in test results I was sent, prior to receiving the bundle.

Pump speed looks fine, I've got it to set to Extreme in iCUE and it's currently running at approx 2681 rpm.

Last edited:
To try and make the fan speed less, UP-DOWN-UP-DOWN, I set the lower temp part of the fan curve higher than it needs so its almost a straight line until ~50C and then it climes to 100% at ~75C. For me, this helps stop the UP-DOWN fan noise. You could also set ECO-105 to drop the temps a small amount.
Thank you for suggesting this. I've just adjusted my fan curve so it fits as you've described and it's much more tolerable. It seems to have ever so slightly brought down my temps (from 89 to 87).

Temperatures: yes.

Designed for a lifetime at 95

Before anything else, let’s be clear: All of the quality analysis for Ryzen 7000 series desktop processors was done at 95 degrees Celsius. The chip is engineered to live its life at this temperature with no detriment to longevity or reliability. In fact, this is the same design target we’ve had for a number of product generations, but it has not been until the Ryzen 7000 series that the platform has had access to a level of socket power that makes 95 C the temperature that delivers the most performance during multithreaded workloads…

95 is the target for best performance

Put simply, because Ryzen 7000 is intelligent, it targets the maximum power and temperature limits and goes there as fast as it can because it knows that’s where it will get the best performance. The two main limits are socket power (PPT, which varies between 88W and 230W depending on the processor), and temperature (TjMax, which is a safe 95 degrees for all Ryzen 7000 processors).

Let’s dig a little deeper into the algorithm behind this intelligent behavior: Precision Boost 2, or “PB2”. This intelligent algorithm reads a large array of sensors within each Ryzen processor and dynamically controls boost behavior based on the data telemetry it receives. The goal of PB2 is to boost performance as high as possible while staying within the bounds of five main factors: max socket power (PPT), sustained current (TDC), peak current (EDC), Temperature (TjMax), and Voltage. PB2 is a function our belief that our processors should offer the maximum performance out of the box with no user intervention needed.

Occasionally, just opening a browser or repositioning windows and opening application will cause CPU usage spikes of up to 100%, met with temperature spikes reaching 85-89°C on the package CPU temp.
The boosting behaviour is done for responsiveness, but in terms of CPU usage: make sure your chipset drivers are up to date. I'd also be aware that motherboard software and RGB software can significantly increase base CPU usage in some circumstances and Steam used to prevent the deeper idle states for AMD while open (not sure if that's still true for Ryzen 7000).

Indeed, the stock fan settings on my motherboard are pretty poor and in my opinion way too aggressivee, ranping up unnecessarily due to the nature of modern CPUs. I use FanControl myself in Windows rather than mess with BIOS fan curves though.

As for OP I think some of what you are seeing is normal but 89C just from respositioning a window? Seems a bit sketch, maybe the cooler is bit naff...

Last edited:
The other alternative to changing the fan profile to limit the ramping up and down of the fans is fit a bigger cooler a 360 is much more relaxed than a 240 I found. I didn't get a new one because of that I got a new case and the larger one fitted it better (and I got a b-grade deal) but i certainly noticed the difference

Last edited:
It doesn't seem to matter what game or software it is—during a Steam download, the CPU usage sits at 65-70% constant, and I notice this because the radiator fans ramp up. If I cap the download speed on Steam, the CPU load decreases. I understand that Steam performs some unpacking for certain games during downloads, but this behaviour seems unusual to me. My 8700K never behaved like this (or if it did, I definitely didn't notice).
I can confirm I had some fairly hefty CPU usage during Steam downloads, proportionate to download speed, on my old 11900K and see the same now, at the levels you describe, on my 7950X3D. This, at least, is normal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom