• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7800XT graphics options / stuck at 24hz/fps in full screen games

Soldato
Hi all, I've just built a gaming PC for the first time in about 13 years. I've got an AMD 7800XT, and I've installed the latest drivers and something called AMD Software: Adrenaline Edition.

There's so many graphics options in there I don't know what half of it means - I know there's a description for each but I know that sometimes these sorts of features cause more issues than they solve. Is it best to just leave it default, or should I be changing some of these?

v2lcdbE.jpeg

cke6vmJ.jpeg

BmIw6mo.jpeg

I'm only running a 10 year old Samsung 1080p screen at the moment, but I've got a 27" 1440p screen hopefully arriving today.

Another issue I'm having is that some games (BF2042, MS Flight Simulator) are stuck at 24fps when full screen. I've checked and my monitor is also running at 24hz when in full screen. As soon as I switch to windowed the framerate shoots up to 60fps, with the monitor showing 60hz as well. Not all games are doing this though, Starfield for example is running perfectly in full screen mode. I've tried searching online but haven't had much luck finding a solution. Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited:
I would leave most options off except frame rate target control and set that to just below your new monitors refresh rate assuming its freesync

Enable Anti lag.

If your new 1440p panel has Freesync or VRR, enable Freesync or VRR in the monitor OSD and set Vsync to Always On.
(However, if you are going to use AMD Fluid Motion Frames(driver level Frame Gen) Vsync disabled and Full screen mode are required)

Screen sharpening, try it out switch it on and off in game(and almost every other setting in game) by running the Adrenaline OSD.

Edit: regardless the monitor, you may need to set Windows refresh rate to the highest Hz your monitor supports, found in Windows settings> advanced graphics>monitor>refresh rate

Last edited:
Enable Anti lag.

If your new 1440p panel has Freesync or VRR, enable Freesync or VRR in the monitor OSD and set Vsync to Always On.
(However, if you are going to use AMD Fluid Motion Frames(driver level Frame Gen) Vsync disabled and Full screen mode are required)

Screen sharpening, try it out switch it on and off in game(and almost every other setting in game) by running the Adrenaline OSD.

Edit: regardless the monitor, you may need to set Windows refresh rate to the highest Hz your monitor supports, found in Windows settings> advanced graphics>monitor>refresh rate

Not 100% sure on this but as far as I know its better to leave Vsync off with freesync monitors and then use the FRTC to prevent it exceeding the top range of the monitor. better input lag and stops framerate dropping. Like I said though, just my understanding.

Not 100% sure on this but as far as I know its better to leave Vsync off with freesync monitors and then use the FRTC to prevent it exceeding the top range of the monitor. better input lag and stops framerate dropping. Like I said though, just my understanding.

Probably when supported yes, but looks like the op is a wee bit lost so maybe better to walk before they run.:)

Oh my god, the monitor arrived today and it's bloody amazing. Playing Bf2042 (which I'm not even that much of a fan of) in 1440p, ultra settings and it looks amazing. Locked at 60fps for some reason even though the monitor is 165hz, but at least it's not stuck at 24hz now!
make sure you've set the max refresh in windows. Found in: settings > System > Display > advanced display settings (windows 10)

I'm using the Display Port cable that came with the monitor, which I assume would be OK for 165hz as that's what the monitor is.

Is there no driver required for the monitor to be installed ? I know my Samsung super UW needs a driver and in the driver you select the output port used on the gpu to allow it to use the full resolution and refresh rates for the input used on the monitor. I know windows installs Microsoft's windows default monitor drivers but they may not provide the full features of the monitor.

I had frame rate target control set to max 60 fps in my AMD settings. Oops!

Turned it off and I'm now getting over 60fps in games again!

Getting such good frame rates in Starfield on Ultra settings. I think 10+ years of console gaming I'd convinced myself that I wasn't missing out on much not playing on PC, but Starfield at 60+ fps looks and feels like a different game to playing on Xbox. I'm loving this PC! Just wish I had more time to sink into using it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom