• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7950CF upgrade time?

Soldato
I can't help but think I'm missing out on something with all the talk of these 980Ti's floating about.

Would a 980Ti be a worthy upgrade form a 7950CF, I have no idea. Talking in terms of raw performance, noise, power consumption.

I play most modern games, BF4, ARMA3, GTA V, Arkham Knight at 1080p V-SYNC off as monitor is 144Hz. I will just add I'm currently running Windows 8.1 and will be upgrading to 10 ASAP.

Soldato
OP
CF profiles are the bane of my life! DayZ doesn't work properly, Arma3 has never really worked properly, I struggle with BF4 as that sometimes works properly.

It would be nice to rid myself of all those constant problems. I just couldn't find anything anywhere showing the gains etc. Best I've done is cross referenced aandtech banchmarks from an r9 280x cf to a 980ti

Soldato
OP
I did this very upgrade on friday, night and day difference. Particularly at this time of the year, I can play without the room turning into a furance due to the sheer amount of heat those cards kicked out (atleast for me) in crossfire. Also whisper quiet (got the GTX 980 ti EVGA ACX SC).

Peformance much better to, I was expecting it to be a sideways move, or even a downgrade so I am delighted with it :)

Dear, but worth it.

Excellent. This makes me happy.

Soldato
OP
In a similar position been on Xfire 7970s for a few years now although they still do a pretty good job would be nice to upgrade to a single card that is faster...

Been looking at a lot of the 980TI and furry X reviews they don't seem much faster in most games that work with Xfire @stock but in games with crap Xfire support and once overclocked in games with good support the 980ti pretty much demolish them so they are very tempting but think it is worth holding off for a bit longer until they mange to unlock the voltage on the Furry X and can see what they can really do before making a decision still hoping that what AMD said about them at the launch about being built for overclocking is true and we just haven't had a chance to see it yet...

Since looking at the 980Ti's it has opened my eyes at to how bad the support is for games that even support xfire well! Add to that the power and heat advantages. I'm 95% sold!

Soldato
OP
Also in the same boat. Xfire has just been terrible. I think it worked OK for Crysis 3 but that was about it.

Totally done with duel cards now. I thought it would be easier on the wallet when I got 2 7950s but just like the rest of you it does a better job of heating my room than the central heating.

I'm thinking of moving away from AMD though as I haven't been happy with the driver support.

With the current lineup of cards I think that there will be a lot of AMD Xfire owners having the thoughts the same as we are. Yeah £600 is a lot but you get a lot back from going big with team green....

Back
Top Bottom