• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7970/50 Arctic Accelero Users

be9ab7cf6963430934f51405529a80f0.jpg

If you take that bit off, and just mount the cooler with the screws, you get a better core contact matt, well i did anyway, tried it a few times on and off and the results pointed to leave it off-obviously I forgot about mentioning it or you would have gotten the screwdriver out.

I think the bracket isn't needed matt as I have a launch 6950 still going strong as an oxx that I put into in my in laws PC using an Extreme, they never used to come with the support bracket back in the day.

@l33th3tr33, maybe the heatsink wasn't in good enough contact?

As good as the paste is, I don't see it being 10c better than the rest.:)

Last edited:
be9ab7cf6963430934f51405529a80f0.jpg

If you take that bit off, and just mount the cooler with the screws, you get a better core contact matt, well i did anyway, tried it a few times on and off and the results pointed to leave it off.

I think the bracket isn't needed matt as I have a launch 6950 still going strong as an oxx that I put into in my in laws PC using an Extreme, they never used to come with the support bracket back in the day.

Hmmm interesting. Just when i thought i was out of the game for good, something drags me back in. :eek: :( :D

I suppose it means the fins are closer to the vrms as well?

What about that black foam bit?

Technically yes, the fins will be closer, but I don't see it making a difference.

Don't get me started on the foam matt, it's a ******* nightmare to remove, it's absolutely horrible mate, it's as if it welds on, probably due to the heat off the core. :mad:

:D

Technically yes, the fins will be closer, but I don't see it making a difference.

Don't get me started on the foam matt, it's a ******* nightmare to remove, it's absolutely horrible mate, it's as if it welds on, probably due to the heat off the core. :mad:

:D

I can imagine. I remember when i first took the cooler apart for my second refit. I was expecting the back plate and foam to just fall apart but nope it was welded on tight. I'm tempted to try and fiddle, i won't lie. Argh where's Petey when you need him with some reassuring words and the Arnie picture.

Did you leave the plastic white+black spacers on?

Yeah the spacers are fine, in fact, they are essential tbh as you will flex the PCB without them-not good.

Wouldn't bother taking the foam off, just leave it, I highly doubt removing the foam will reduce temps in the slightest.

Well what do you know, that's the best result you could ask for matt, I stuck it directly onto the gpu:o, at least one of us wasn't thick:D, wish I thought of that one mate.

Just screw it back up without the bracket/foam and give it a spin buddy.

Will you ever learn Matt? The foam is only there to stop the metal bracket shorting out the board. Without the bracket there's no need for foam but I'd be leaving the bracket on IMO unless you have the card supported elsewhere.

In addition to the bracket I used a tie wrap to tie the end of the card to a piece of my case so it's not dealing with the extra weight.

You can use your pcie power cables to hold up the card if you attach them over the top of the pcb, instead of attaching them under it-if your going for looks.

Ninja wire is the daddy for holding it up as it slips through the end of the cooler through the fins/heatpipe for maximum support, but I think it's hard to get a hold of now.

@chipachap, are you using two Extremes?

Will you ever learn Matt? The foam is only there to stop the metal bracket shorting out the board. Without the bracket there's no need for foam but I'd be leaving the bracket on IMO unless you have the card supported elsewhere.

In addition to the bracket I used a tie wrap to tie the end of the card to a piece of my case so it's not dealing with the extra weight.

You can't short the card if the metal bracket is not attached you daft bugger. :D That was the whole point.

As i was about to do the deed i got a case of fiddlers remorse, swiftly followed by a case of fiddlers droop. So i decided to leave the foam and back plate on for now. Core temps are already low anyway so i figured a few C either way on the core won't make much difference. I did swap a couple of the heat sinks around though. :)

Finally got round to ordering one of these, will the akasa tape offer good enough performance? I don't really fancy using any glue since i may want to remove it for reselling in a few years time.

Hi guys, I have been a long time lurker around these forums but never got round to posting.

Anyhoo, I got 2 of these coolers today and have been fitting them today to my day 1 reference 7970's. They are currently curing so will probably leave them till tomorrow now.

So I just wanted to say what a very helpful bunch you are and how this thread has, hopefully if all goes ok, made this process less daunting than it may have otherwise been. I used to work in IT, building desktops, servers etc so I manage ok with this sort if thing but all the helpful info in this thread really helped.

Thanks to all who have contributed info to make this easier for others.:)

Welcome in, mac.
I'm glad you've enjoyed your journey through this epic thread :)

The Lt is always looking out for new recruits in his Arctic army, so let us know how you get on and don't be a stranger anymore ;)

Hi guys, I have been a long time lurker around these forums but never got round to posting.

Anyhoo, I got 2 of these coolers today and have been fitting them today to my day 1 reference 7970's. They are currently curing so will probably leave them till tomorrow now.

So I just wanted to say what a very helpful bunch you are and how this thread has, hopefully if all goes ok, made this process less daunting than it may have otherwise been. I used to work in IT, building desktops, servers etc so I manage ok with this sort if thing but all the helpful info in this thread really helped.

Thanks to all who have contributed info to make this easier for others.:)

Welcome aboard mate. Did you have the tube of glue or the two white and grey sachets?

Welcome aboard mate. Did you have the tube of glue or the two white and grey sachets?

The 2 white and grey satchets, although there was a sticker on the packaging saying new thermal glue but there was nothing like a tube of glue.

I am a bit worried about one of the heat sinks on the vrms of the 1st card I did. I'll wait overnight and see if it is properly stuck in place.

Here's hoping everything is ok, if not I could always use some thermal tape.

Back
Top Bottom