• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7970 horrible temps!

Associate
my card which was overclocked to 1200mhz by 1500 is hitting 92 degrees when my wife has been playing CIV 5 for hours. I have only noticed it since the change to my ASUS 1440p monitor. the card actually overheated and crashed whilst playin BF3. Is my card faulty or is it just the demands of 1440p? I have removed the overclock and the card is idling at 50 ish, with the overclock it was hitting 70 plus. Are these temps a worry? the card is less than 6 months old.

Associate
OP
In the long term I am thinking of going crossfire or getting a supercard like the 7990 or 690 but I was hoping to do so when the next gen of cards is released next year.

Associate
Are you saying your card idles at 70+ degrees!?

How much voltage are you adding for the overclock? You realise the extra voltage becomes heat don't you.

Associate
OP
I have now dropped it back to its standard settings. The OC was not in place for long. The OC used the auto settings from Afterburner. It seems to idle at 50 odd is that too much?

Soldato
Still looks a tad warm to me, you dont have the pc near a radiator or anything like that, my room is pretty cold at the mo but with a ref cooler my 7970 idles at about 30c and not going over 60c at load

Associate
Yeah definately seems too hot for that model, its a decent cooler on that one. As above I would try reseating the cooler and using some quality thermal paste and see if that does the trick. Your ambient tems should be good if your H100 is exhausting heat out of the case.

Associate
My 6870 card idles at 56 degrees when running x2 monitors. Cards always idle hotter when driving two monitors btw. Its weird yours is so hot when overclocked though. How much is the auto-overclock incresing the GPU voltage? If your temps are fine when not overclocking, and go crazy high after the auto overclock...that is most likely the problem. Try bumping up the gpu speed and memory clock rate 10% without increasing the volts. It will run a few degrees hotter but not 20 degrees hotter.

Its a shame to send a card back for a replacement if the replacement behaves the same.

Caporegime
Idle should be 35-45, anything higher is not a good sign. I idle at 37 when its cold and 40-42 when its warm.

Try using this fan profile in afterburner and see if it brings temps down. :)

NHERk.jpg

This one is slightly more aggressive

mv8OH.jpg

If neither of those can keep it cool enough id back off the overclock or RMA.

Soldato
The cooler on it isn't that good, but hitting those temps is pretty impressive lol.
Luckily the cooler is held on by 4 screws, no pads on the memory and the VRMs are cooled by a little clip on heatsink.

Just clean the old TIM off and put some new stuff on, if it's still hot hot hot. RMA it.

Edit: Out of curiosity, how many screens are attached to the card and whats the ambient?

Permabanned
What clock speeds is your card showing whilst idle? 50 degrees is too hot, especially for the latest generation cards unless you live in the Dessert and have high ambient temps.

Back
Top Bottom