8+4 pin CPU power plugs

Associate
I'm doing a 'big three' upgrade - Motherboard, CPU and RAM.

I'm currently fitting the new Motherboard, I've got a Gigabyte Z490 Auros Elite. I'm using my old PSU, an EVGA 650GQ.

I've come to fit the CPU power and the plugs are different. My old board (an MSI Gaming 5) had an 8 pin CPU power socket, which I used a 4+4 cable on. By my old 4+4 cable doesn't fit the 8 pin socket on the new board.

See the images below as an illustration - the photo is my 4+4 connectors pushed together; note that it only has two square pins.
My new board has the ATX +12V type shown in the diagram below that, with four square pins.

My PSU has two modular sockets for CPU power - at the PSU end, both have the four-square-pegs ATX +12V style ones.

Can I just buy a cable that has that 8-pin connector on both ends, or is it more complicated than that?

Y3V6N6l.png

main-qimg-7825c645af5fe1b0b0a355ff4c893ab7

Associate
OP
OK, turns out I was an idiot.... :D

The 8-pin power sockets are identical on both boards, I was being ham-fisted when I tried to plug in the new one.

I'll need to order another cable for the extra 4-pin but I've read that's just for extreme overclocking and it doesn't need it for normal use, just the 8-pin?

Soldato
No worries. At least you know now

That your an idiot

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I've done the same myself. with some 6+2. Put the +2 the wrong side and the wrong way.........

Associate
OP
Hmmm.. problem 2. I've got to the BIOS screen, chose Save & Exit, it tries to boot then ends up back on the BIOS screen.

Looking through the various options, it's detecting my SSD as a drive but not showing it as bootable. Yes, I probably should be doing a clean install, but I've never encountered it just not booting after a hardware swap, is this an SSD thing?

Associate
How was the previous board setup, did you have CSM disabled, secure boot enabled? How about the new board, are the boot options configured similarly, have you checked the boot order, can you select a boot device? If it’s not booting from the SSD are you getting an error before it kicks back to the BIOS screen, something like boot device not detected?

Permabanned
My guess her is it's the AHCI mode. Older boards didn't even have that mode and even if they did it had to be enabled, so it's likely the SSD was setup without it. Newer boards it's enabled by default so it may not recognise the SSD that was setup without it. Your best bet is to disable it in the BIOS follow instructions on how to enable in Windows. Once done you can re-enable it in the BIOS.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom