• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8 (6+2) connectors for dual 8 pin graphics cards

Soldato
I have one power supply and my 3080 has two 8 pin power connectors. Does it matter if you supply the power from the same cable as the cable has 2 6+2 connectors or use two separate cables (same power supply for either method)

Soldato
I have one power supply and my 3080 has two 8 pin power connectors. Does it matter if you supply the power from the same cable as the cable has 2 6+2 connectors or use two separate cables (same power supply for either method)

Yes, it does matter. The 30 series GPUs are known for their power spikes - transients - so it's better if each 8 pin connector comes from a separate cable. Especially a PSU with sub-par components like yours.

Man of Honour
Yes, it does matter. The 30 series GPUs are known for their power spikes - transients - so it's better if each 8 pin connector comes from a separate cable. Especially a PSU with sub-par components like yours.

That's not his actual psu although CWT does make that one based on their GPX platform so internals are likely to be the same. However, seeing as his psu can be had for as little as £72 (very cheap for a supposed 850w unit) and only has a pathetic 12 month warranty (even Chieftech gives their version 5 years) I wouldn't have any faith in it and would have avoided it like the plague.

Soldato
OP
That's not his actual psu although CWT does make that one based on their GPX platform so internals are likely to be the same. However, seeing as his psu can be had for as little as £72 (very cheap for a supposed 850w unit) and only has a pathetic 12 month warranty (even Chieftech gives their version 5 years) I wouldn't have any faith in it and would have avoided it like the plague.
Very reassuring :) if it fails I’ll let you know. Which make is the best ?

Man of Honour
Many would say Seasonic but they are overhyped and have their share of poor psu's. Any of the decent Corsair units, Phanteks, MSI Mag A series, Seasonic Focus and higher, some Coolermaster units. Stick with gold rated or higher and look for ten year warranties which will be on most decent psu's these days.

CWT does actually make very good psu's for other companies such as Corsair but their own GPX platform was poor.

Man of Honour
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom