84 Confirmed dead after another apparent terrorism attack in Nice, France,

Caporegime
Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
RIP, I hope all HGVs get automated within the next 10 years. I know people will lose work as a result of it, but at least things like this won't happen.

Until the tech is up to it (see recent Tesla incidents) I really strongly disagree, it's coming, sure, but not for a while yet.

Tbh I doubt it would prevent this sort of thing, the vehicle would most likely still have the option of manual control.

Caporegime
OP
I've just told a French truck driver about this,he'd just arrived where I'm unloading,he didn't know about it so got his phone out and checked his FB or whatever.
He started to cry, the guy is from Nice. :(

Trucks are no more to blame for this than the explosives are when bombs go off, the problem is the mindset of those who carry out such events for whatever warped cause.

Caporegime
OP
Getting the truck to a crowd of people large and restricted enough to ensure they don't just simply move out of the way when they see you coming is the harder part.

Getting a HGV illegally is still pretty hard.

As a truck driver, getting hold of an HGV wouldn't be hard and assuming the driver has any degree of experience he'd have little trouble accessing a pedestrian area if he was inclined to do so, the type of truck used in this attack is a 17tonner, such a vehicle would knock bollards etc out of the way like they weren't there, believe me, same for any cars blocking the way.

The kinetic energy in these things is surprising to the uninitiated, let's put it this way, two things will stop an HGV dead, large tress and bridge supports, anything else gets knocked out of the way or smashed through.

Caporegime
OP
Stopped at a set of lights this evening in Warrington, a car pulled up along side me and the passenger asked if I'd any intentions on mowing down a large number of people!?!

She seemed to think it amusing!?! - I'll probably get reported for my retort back to the silly bint, but just WTF?!?

Back
Top Bottom