• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8800GTX/GTS VS 7900GTX SLI

Soldato
Tute said:
There was a thread about 8800 IQ, and from the screenshots posted, there looked to be a bigger jump from 7800 -> X1800 than there was from X1800 -> 8800.

Either that or the person with the 7800 had the gamma turned up too far!

Also, while you can notice it, the average user might well not be able to see the difference. I know graphics detail adds to the immersiveness of a game but at the same time if you're ramming your shotgun down a zombie's throat you're hardly going to stop to admire his "pearly white" teeth are you? ;)

Yes and I posted in that thread that using FEAR to show the differences between cards is not a good test. Normally I'd agree with you, even I struggled to see the differences in IQ on some of the cards in the past but the AF quality on the 8800 jumped out at me immediately, well before it was known to have been improved.

Been a while since I played Oblivion, will fire it up for you and see, seem to remember though that even though my game is heavily modded, I rarely saw drops below 40fps even in the busiest areas outdoors.

Soldato
Nelly said:
OMG! I'm an ATI Fanboy what am I doing!!!!! :rolleyes: LOL although I must admit I really do like Nforce Motherboards! :)

Don't forget, if you feel you *must* have an ATi card at R600 release, you should be able to get back most, if not all, of your outlay on the 8800, making the switch easier.

If anyone was thinking of getting an 8800GTX, i'd tell them to do it now, it really is THAT cheap.

Soldato
[ui]ICEMAN said:
Been a while since I played Oblivion, will fire it up for you and see, seem to remember though that even though my game is heavily modded, I rarely saw drops below 40fps even in the busiest areas outdoors.
Cheers [ui]ICEMAN - i'll pass that on to him! It's a lot of screen for an x1900! :eek:

Thanks,

gt

Soldato
Alright just fired up Oblivion, went to the battle outside the final gate, 16xAF forced in the control panel, 2xFSAA (SS) and max in game options with a tonne of high detail texture packs/mods, fps never dipped below 45, pretty much sat at 60 the whole time.

Keep in mind that I'm running SLI not just one.

Soldato
Tute said:
Don't forget, if you feel you *must* have an ATi card at R600 release, you should be able to get back most, if not all, of your outlay on the 8800, making the switch easier.

If anyone was thinking of getting an 8800GTX, i'd tell them to do it now, it really is THAT cheap.
Just abit of sarcasm on my part - my apologies, I dont really mind whose better, I just want whats best & seen as ATI are being slow to getting around to giving something competitive, they will just have to lose my custom this time around.

Seen as their is a few people reading, BFG is cheaper of course but what about the Evga card that isnt in stock at the moment, I thought the step-up program would have made that card more worth while?

Soldato
Nelly said:
Just abit of sarcasm on my part - my apologies, I dont really mind whose better, I just want whats best & seen as ATI are being slow to getting around to giving something competitive, they will just have to lose my custom this time around.

Seen as their is a few people reading, BFG is cheaper of course but what about the Evga card that isnt in stock at the moment, I thought the step-up program would have made that card more worth while?

It's BFG's lifetime warranty vs EVGA's step-up program.

Go with whichever suits you better.

Associate
KWJay said:
I don't see what the problem is there mate, im on an 8800GTS and the source engine seems to run fine on mine. Tried it with HL2 and HL2EP1 and it flies. I'm running the 97.44's at the moment. Not had a problem with a single game yet.

Do you have HALO, lot of people having trouble with it, wondered if you had?

Soldato
Tute said:
It's BFG's lifetime warranty vs EVGA's step-up program.

Go with whichever suits you better.
I think the step-up program is 90 days from purchase correct? No guarantee that they will release say a 8850GTX by then is there. Also if I'm clevor enough I could sell the BFG card say a week prior to the release of a better card & not loose much money on my purchase right? :)

Soldato
Nelly said:
I think the step-up program is 90 days from purchase correct? No guarantee that they will release say a 8850GTX by then is there. Also if I'm clevor enough I could sell the BFG card say a week prior to the release of a better card & not loose much money on my purchase right? :)

Yeah, but then if the 8850GTX does pop up within 90 days you're gonna be kicking yourself.

It's really all down to a judgement call.

Caporegime
Combat squirrel said:
So back on topic, does anyone have more benchmarks other than the 1 (one) that tute posted ?

I was getting 10,900 with my 7900 SLI at stock with my conore at 3.6ghz

06 results
sli06.jpg

now getting well over 12k with 8800 GTX

will post a screenie in a bit

Soldato
Combat squirrel said:
As said ! wont fit in !, harddrives in the way ! waiting see if gibbo will give me free brackets to put the harddrives in the 5.25" drive bays :D :p lol
Easy way round that Hot glue your HDDs to a piece of perspex (laying on their sides with a gap).
The hot glue is very easily removed (when cold :D )from both the perspex and HDDs.
Just done it to my machine (will post a pic in the Case Central forum in the next few days).
works fine.

Back
Top Bottom