• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8800s - is vista necessary?

Associate
I've got myself confused here.

Do you need vista to run an 8800? If not then why the big fuss, Windows XP seems fine to me.

May just be me being dumb :confused: , but I'm not getting something!

Soldato
Lolcb said:
Put it this way, it would be foolish to buy G80 cards and not buy vista.
Why, it is the fastest card for DX9 games at the moment :confused:

IMO it would be foolish to buy a X1950 or 7900GTX now :)

You do not need Vista to run a 8800 but later in the year when DX10 games are out you need a DX10 card like the 8800's to get the DX10 effects and you cannot install DX10 with XP

Associate
Tatally agree, but at this present time we have Vista, 8800 cards with only beta drivers that don't work, No Creative Labs X-FI Drivers that work, and to put the icing on the cake.... :( No DX10 Games.... :( Still worth getting the 8800 just to watch those DX9 Games fly in XP. Will be glad once all these companys catch up and get these verified drivers released for Vista, and we can all experience this new level of DX10 Gaming we have all been promised..... ;) Now off to blow the dust off my 8800GTS :D

Last edited:
Associate
Dutch Guy said:
Why, it is the fastest card for DX9 games at the moment :confused:

IMO it would be foolish to buy a X1950 or 7900GTX now :)

You do not need Vista to run a 8800 but later in the year when DX10 games are out you need a DX10 card like the 8800's to get the DX10 effects and you cannot install DX10 with XP

I 100% agree with Dutch Guy. The 8800s are the first cards to run all DX9 games equally well. No longer do you have vertex heavy games wanting NV or Pixel shading games wanting ATi, unified shaders do it all.

Soldato
I have never witnessed such a big jump in performance between generations, I guess the thing that it resembles is when the Radeon 9700 was first released.

The difference in current games is massive compared to a 7800GT I had before and I don't even have a cutting edge system anymore.

Sel

Sel

Associate
Whenever anyone talks of DX10 all the talk is of well Crysis usues it, so what thats a year away looking at the reports so anything else worth getting Vista for?

Soldato
Sel said:
Whenever anyone talks of DX10 all the talk is of well Crysis usues it, so what thats a year away looking at the reports so anything else worth getting Vista for?

Trying out lots of drivers looking for one that actually works... (i jest i jest :p )

Back
Top Bottom