8gadget is there anything better

Associate
Hi all
Been using this app for years, but today "The Sky News" feed stopped working.
Is there anything else like it. The old one used to update the news headlines and you could click on the link and open full screen into edge. Just need something to run on the desktop.

Bob

ASW

ASW

Associate
Bob,

Did you fix the problem with your Sky News Gadget? If not, I can help you.
They recently changed all of the server url's from http to https. It's a matter of searching and replacing all of the entries in the installation file.
I can give you the details of which files to change. Do you know how to edit Gadget files? To make it easier, I can send you a copy of the modified file if you like.

Alan

Associate
OP
Hi Alan, thankyou for the reply. I really have no idea on how to change the app. Do you have links for downloading the sky app.
Cheers
Bob

Edit, yes please

ASW

ASW

Associate
Bob,

It's not available to download anywhere as it's my own modification of the original Sky News Gadget as previously mentioned.
If you let me have an email address, I can send you the installation file as an attachment.

Alan

ASW

ASW

Associate
Bob,

I sent an email with the attachment to the address you gave me (at replaced with @) but it bounced back to me.
Does this email address accept attachments?

Alan

ASW

ASW

Associate
Bob,
Yes, I've just checked and mine is the same. Has it been working OK until now or have you just noticed it?
I'm sure it was updating OK before. Something must have changed. This could be tricky to sort out. It's not easy trying to modify some else's code.
In the meantime, you can get it to update without rebooting by closing the "Windows Desktop Gadgets" task in the Task Manager
and then restarting the "Gadgets" app.
Also, have you tried the "Sky News RSS Reader" in the Microsoft Store? It might be an option if I can't get this to work properly

Alan

Associate
OP
Cheers Alan, I guess it's been happening for awhile. It's like it isn't refreshing. If you sort it I want it :p
will take a look at Sky News RSS Reader. Not to put pressure on you i'm depending on you

ASW

ASW

Associate
As a workaround, I've put another file in my OneDrive folder called "Restart Gadgets.cmd"
This automatically closes and reopens the Gadget App which results in the Sky News Gadget updating itself.
You could create a scheduled task which automatically runs it every 15 minutes or so.

ASW

ASW

Associate
Bob,
I'm coming to the conclusion that there's nothing wrong with the Sky News gadget.
Have you tried using the Sky News RSS Reader yet?
It appears to show the same problem. The headlines do not update here until I close and reopen the app.
If you go to https://news.sky.com/ you can see the news stories in the order they're supposed to be displayed in the gadget and the app.

Back
Top Bottom