939 System upgrade - Looking for advise please?

Associate
I'm seriously considering a full upgrade just now and have spent the past 2 days trying to learn all I can on the 'new' stuff that has came about in the past few years. It will be a switch from a low spec Barton to a spanking new setup! :D

Anyway, I have narrowed things down from everything listed on this site to the following components:-
  • AMD Opteron UP 144 - £117.44 Including VAT
  • Asus A8N32-SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi X16 - £135.07 Including VAT
  • Zalman CNPS9500-LED Aero Flower - £35.19 Including VAT
  • OCZ 2GB PC3200 Dual Channel Gold GX XTC - £152.69 Including VAT
  • BFG GeForce 7900 GT OC 256MB GDDR3 - £246.69 Including VAT
  • Antec Sonata II (450W Smart Power PSU) - £77.49 Including VAT
Total £764.58

My reasons for choosing the CPU and MOBO were from discussions I have read in this the forum and reviews from the web. From what I have read - The CPU can clock well, even up to approx 2.8 (MOBO dependent etc). Also the MOBO is full spec'ed and will provide future upgrade paths (SLI) as well as being a good over clocker.

The CPU cooler was chosen for its low noise and decent cooling - Mainly the low noise, my PC is in the living room.

The memory was a tough choice though, it was between that and all the other 2 x 1GB PC3200 chips on offer. There was no real reason for this memory over the others, other than it 'felt' good. Please feel free to let me know if other are better.

The GFX card it a funny one, this will be my main upgrade to last a few years, If I choose a well spec’ed option now, then later-on in the year(s) most games will still run smooth(ish) - The BFG comes with the higher clock speeds and lifetime warranty which steered me in its direction..

Finally the case was selected as it came with a good power supply. At least that is what I have read, and I am hoping it means all these bits should run well upon it? Other reasons for the case were its 2 x 120mm fan spots and decent reviews.

The downside... £764.58 it a tad over my budget. I was looking at about £600 - £650. I may be ok with this if my wife goes for the idea and you all show me the thumbs up, however there is always the possibility I am a bit over spec’ed, even for possible future upgrades…

So my pressing questions in no particular order. 1) Is this a good spec for now and the future? 2) Is it over spec’ed? 3) Can you suggest something within budget that will perform well in all current games (Possible future also)?

I thank you for your time to read this, and even more for any assistance you provide :)

Last edited:
gary996 said:
I think your spec looks very good. If you can afford to go with that then do. Otherwise drop the mobo to one not so feature rich. You could also change Gcard to: PowerColor ATI Radeon X1800 XT 512MB £229.07 Including VAT

I have spec'ed that card against the GT 7900 and it seems to be just about on par. As this one has the most memory, it seems the ideal choice? - I would have to get a crossfire motherboard though, but have drawn a blank on the better choice of these.. can anyone help me with this?

Also if there is a better alternative gfx card which will do sli (At some point) could you throw that into the mix please?

StarShock said:
also if you need to shave some pennys go for the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler, just as good but half the price ;)

I did look at this cooler, It was reported as approx 50 decebels? Maybe I picked this up wrong.. Possibly a fan controller may help with this but I will keep it in mind thanks :)

After much though I have settled upon and ordered the following:

• PowerColor ATI Radeon X1800 ***CrossFire Edition*** 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)
  • Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe Crossfire (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard
  • OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC4000 Dual Channel Gold GX XTC Series EL-DDR CAS3
  • Antec Sonata II Piano Black Quiet Case - 450W Smart Power PSU
  • Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler
  • AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 90nm (Socket 939) - OEM
  • Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX
  • Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 160GB 6V160E0 SATA-II 8MB Cache
Total: £797.95

It is slightly over budget and possibly a bit lower spec'ed than the first choice, however It will do exactly as I require for the next few years at least :)

Thanks for the assistance though, It has helped me choose the above!

Back
Top Bottom