• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

939 x2 3800 Core failure !

Associate
Anyone had issue with recent x2 3800 bought here ?

My PC seams to die all the time, since installing Stalker ! maybe its killed one of my cores !

Anyways never added more volts as Mobo is only a ASROCK dual sata2, so 1.4 is my max although cpuz says its more like 1.375.

If I disable dual core in the bios it run fine and never crashes.

Only changes recent are an upgrade of Power Supply to a Corsair 620 and some brand new 2GB Ballistix PC4000 that are totally stable according to mem test.

One of the cores was always bad as motherboard monitor said it the temp on it was daft like 58 + compared to 38 on the other core.

Is it RMA Time ?
Bought it retail from here in the past 3months so will OCUK deal with it or will I have to wait for AMD ?

Soldato
I'm 99% sure that your system won't work at all if a core dies. Also I'm pretty sure those temps are normal.

Check your bios config and try an OS reinstallation.

Associate
OP
z0mbi3 said:
I'm 99% sure that your system won't work at all if a core dies. Also I'm pretty sure those temps are normal.

Bios is ASROCK 2.20 and been totally stable for months and months.

I've freshley installed the OS and downloaded all the latest patches.
I know this bios inside out by now so its not like I've changed something by mistake.

I've got a new Mobo coming so I'll try it in that and if it doesn't work I'd have thought its borked.

Chip was never that good from start, as it wouldn't run my old Geil One tccd mem at more than 240mhz. Even when I lowered the multis. I think its got a Very Very weak mem controlller.

Associate
OP
Right I can get both cores to run at 180htt * 10 so 1800mhz with a low vcore of 1.25v.

Ran Orthos for like 5+ hours totally fine.

But at any other setting 2 cores are a no no.

So it'll underclock but not run at Default speeds !

Soldato
z0mbi3 said:

PC's will often boot just fine with faulty CPU's, and a dual core is even better at disguising a minor fault.

A failed core will more often than not boot, and work apparently normally, until you try to execute a command (or command sequence) which uses the failed componant in the CPU. Remember there are millions of transistors, and if 1 fails, the CPU might well work fine most of the time, but treat you to random crashes, or even worse miscalcuations (or at least worse if its a bank computer and it miscalulates your balance).

I wouldnt be to worried about the two cores having different temps, although thats quite an extreme difference <5 degrees between cores is more normal.

As it works when underclocked, I'd suggest its probably RMA time.

Soldato
sounds like a temp issue. you could test each core individually and if it passes that means there is no physical damage to the core.

what cooling are you using? sounds like bad heatsink contact. ish contact may be off a bit but it should still allow you to run at stock speeds regardless.

Soldato
Corasik said:
PC's will often boot just fine with faulty CPU's, and a dual core is even better at disguising a minor fault.

A failed core will more often than not boot, and work apparently normally, until you try to execute a command (or command sequence) which uses the failed componant in the CPU. Remember there are millions of transistors, and if 1 fails, the CPU might well work fine most of the time, but treat you to random crashes, or even worse miscalcuations (or at least worse if its a bank computer and it miscalulates your balance).

I wouldnt be to worried about the two cores having different temps, although thats quite an extreme difference <5 degrees between cores is more normal.

As it works when underclocked, I'd suggest its probably RMA time.

I meant if one core dies completley rather than a few transistors going ape, but point taken.

Associate
OP
Cyber-Mav said:
sounds like a temp issue. you could test each core individually and if it passes that means there is no physical damage to the core.

what cooling are you using? sounds like bad heatsink contact. ish contact may be off a bit but it should still allow you to run at stock speeds regardless.

Using a Freezer 64 pro with some Artic Silver 5.
Case is a Antec 1080 amg with 4 80mm fans running flat out pusing air into the case. It doesn't even get warm in there !

Its ran totally fine until installing the game Stalker, then it keep falling over.
Before then it Primed totally fine and Orthos for hours on end.

I'll just have to wait until my new mobo arrives and give it a crack in that.

Associate
OP
Well looks like its not dead afterall, Yeah !

Got new mobo DFI RDX200 and it runs totally fine at 2Ghz on both cores, and totally stable at 2.7ghz on both cores too @ 1.5 volts with is actually more like 1.475volts.

Might get a tuniq tower and see if it'll do anymore. Currently under a freezer pro 64 so old skool cooling really.

Cheers for all the replys.

Back
Top Bottom