• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
i like his next post better

----------
I agree, I should have done this way sooner. Sometimes I spend too much time worrying about all the details instead of just STFU and do the right thing.

The GTX970 really does have 4GB of memory and can access all of it. And we're looking at ways to tweak the driver to better understand where to put stuff to make it even faster. But I totally get that it might not be the right product for your specific situation. If you really want to return it and are getting denied, let me know and I'll do my best to help.
----------

peter seems like a nice guy! lets hope he dont get fired for it lol

Another of his posts

I guess that depends on who's card it is. I think that EVGA for example offers a trade-in program, others might offer credit, etc. It's largely up to them. All I'm offering is to help you out, even it means me contacting them on your behalf.

Sounds like they expect the board partners to pick up any possible bills

From the posts i'd suggest it's likely that someone has got hold of that moderators login details. Considering 99% of that thread is troll bait it adds up.

I could be wrong, things don't add up to me though.

Sounds like they expect the board partners to pick up any possible bills

"they" might be a stretch right now, a guy that works at nvidia who decided to help while eating his noodles!

-----------------
Signed,
A guy sitting in his home office with a cooling plate of dinner next to his PC, trying not to get spaghetti sauce on the Razer Black Widow Chroma his wife got him for Christmas.
-----------------

i really hope he dont end up fired for it, that would be horrible lol
<3 u peter! :)

He works in customer care and he writes sucks, and acts like one of yall and all. Yea, not buying that.

*Ooh a chroma, you like it lots? Just got my 4th K95 back from rma. Think its time to sell it and skip the fifth rma lol.

----------
You are right, and some members of the team have indeed been posting similar offers of help on various social media. I just chose to dive right into the middle of this mega-thread because I thought this is was where I can help the most.
----------

if true its interesting the way nvidia are going about this
are they just trying to limit returns while not admitting blame
or beat back the fire of rage thats growing :)

I'm shocked there weren't more people complaining about this card before the vram issue arouse.

Mines been a pain in the arse for a while, low usage/fps stuttering. Arma III is a joke. WoT I get blurry tanks and sometimes the fps will just drop to the 30s so have to restart PC.

Arkham asylum ran OK. Playing TR at the moment which is OK but just dosnt seem smooth, like there is very micro stuttering going on.

All in all the card seems gutless, great temps and noise but I'd rather be able to play games as there meant to be played.

I'm shocked there weren't more people complaining about this card before the vram issue arouse.

Mines been a pain in the arse for a while, low usage/fps stuttering. Arma III is a joke. WoT I get blurry tanks and sometimes the fps will just drop to the 30s so have to restart PC.

Arkham asylum ran OK. Playing TR at the moment which is OK but just dosnt seem smooth, like there is very micro stuttering going on.

All in all the card seems gutless, great temps and noise but I'd rather be able to play games as there meant to be played.

Had the same issue until l noticed motion blur in graphical settings.

Turn off motion blur.

Goto go to graphical settings -> detailed

Near the bottom.

C.

If there's any lesson to learn from all this...is that frame rate alone (on reviews) no longer being a good enough idicator or representation of smoothness of gameplay in real-world environment.

It's quite ironic as Nvidia made a big deal out of AMD's poor frame pacing issue back then, and now they themself is struggling to avoid the stuttering issue.

Smoother gameplay at lower frame rate doesn't sell cards...higher frame rate appearing on reviews (regardless how bad the stuttering is) does...

Last edited:
The GTX 970's Memory Explained & Tested

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...68595-gtx-970s-memory-explained-tested-2.html

They haven't posted the actual FCAT charts yet.
The problem is at that res the GPU grunt is the bigger factor than the Vram bandwidth which still affects it to some extent.
What needs to be done textures need to be used to fill up the Vram and not GPU intensive things like resolution and other GPU intensive setting.

Last edited:
If there's any lesson to learn from all this...is that frame rate alone (on reviews) no longer being a good enough idicator or representation of smoothly of gameplay in real-world environment.

It's quite ironic as Nvidia made a big deal out of AMD's poor frame pacing issue back then, and now they themself is struggling to avoid the stuttering issue.

Smoother gameplay at lower frame rate doesn't sell cards...higher frame rate appearing on reviews (regardless how bad the stuttering is) does...

Guru 3D from the off testing SLI 970's & 980's measured these setups dropping frames. Partly what the FCAT metric was designed to show in AMD cards. They concluded that as the framerates were so high and it wasn't noticable so that was OK then. So whilst the fps counter may record 100fps what actually gets to the panel was only 85.

I see in another thread that the g-sync by Nvidia has also been pulled into question in not delivering what it said on the tin and it is barely any different from adaptive sync made VESA standard. Just they want to charge you for it.

so.....anything from OCUK yet?
Gibbo responded that they don't work for Nvidia, so I guess that translate to "it's not their responsibility or position to comment", so it's all down to Nvidia.

Honestly doubt anything will be done about it though. What's worrying is not just about the 970, but the concern is if Nvidia really can get out of this without needing to do anything to make up to the 970 users who essentially bought something that's falsely advertised (it's missing 8 ROPS!), then what's stopping them from letting the same thing happen again for future releases?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom