• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
so you were slating FCAT when it was used to vilify AMD huh?? oh wait.....

I'm not slating FCAT at all, useful tool. I'm slating their application of it. To be clear, nobody gives a toss about frame times when you're averaging 11fps.

Anyway, not sure what you're trying to insinuate? my last cards were a 7950, before that a 5850 and before than a 4830. I also own a 6870 and a 5830 and if it wasnt for my 8800gtx then all of my last 10 or so cards would have been ATi/AMD. I'm hardly showing any nVidia bias if that's your thinking.

Last edited:
Gibbo I think people need some feedback from OCuk about this issue on what might be happening behind the scenes.

More over your customers are getting the phone put down on them. That's bad news if true.

Were pushing NVIDIA for an official response, NVIDIA will come back to us and when they do we shall let everyone know. :)

Right now calling us, forums, email the response is we are awaiting a response from NVIDIA.

I understand the frustration, but the 970 performance is un-changed from when it launched and everyone raved how good it was, so what is a few hours/days to wait for an official response/update. :)

Its not the end of the world and I am sure NVIDIA will either fix it or offer up a solution, but anything they do needs to be worldwide, that takes days, not minutes. :)

Our CS slamming the phone, well if I find anyone doing this they will be absolutely beaten for it over the coals, not acceptable at all!

seen this reply from zotec on the nvida forums

Just exchanged mails with ZOTAC this what Nvidia has sent them, when asked for return he sent the same mail to me
Hi,

Find the below mail received from NVidia team.

The below mentioned thing is not an issue first and foremost it is only information which has come to light now as a result of miscommunication which was unintentional.

Simply because if the customer has read the article properly it is clearly mentioned in the article itself ,

a. There is 4GB memory (VRAM ) on the card although it is divided into 3.5GB & 0.5Mb

b. the user will not see any performance issue since the OS will allocate the entire memory smartly whenever the game requirement goes above 3.5Gb which does not happen often even with today’s high-end games.

c. The article also says as informed by Senior VP of engineering form NVDIA Mr.Jonah Alben this is only a communications gap which happened between the engineering team and the product marketing team and that architecture was builtup as it is today form the beginning and things did not change midway .

d. The article also says GTX 970 is still best performance /$ and the reviewers recommendations will not change after this revelation also.

All the above facts clearly say there is no problem with the card itself but it just the mindset.

What the hell!! Mindset? What are we, retards?
Attachments

why limit it to 3.5.......because they're starting to kill off its performance as it gets close to 4.0

i think they did this on purpose, isn't it odd that the card runs so cool and never gets over 67 degrees, they dont want this MID RANGE card getting too powerful just in case it effects the sales of their Titan z......they want a large gap in performance so that they can charge 1200 quid for the bigger card.

you imagine how much more powerful it would be if they let its temps rise to 80 degrees or even 85 degrees, they've also limited its Voltage to prevent you from OCing too far.. and finally of course its RAM.

so they've reduced its lifespan on purpose, so if you want more grunt you're going to have to buy Titan Z ..............suspicious !

this explains why they wont give it 6GB OR 8GB RAM, because they dont want you keeping this card for too long. this is very heavily disguised but i wouldn't be surprised at all

Seeing very few problems with single cards. dying light was mentioned recently but that game is properly broken. I'm beginning to think its almost exclusively related to the use of the .5gb partitions in SLi that's the problem. Speculation of course. It might be something they can fix though, or at least improve.

Seeing very few problems with single cards. dying light was mentioned recently but that game is properly broken. I'm beginning to think its almost exclusively related to the use of the .5gb partitions in SLi that's the problem. Speculation of course. It might be something they can fix though, or at least improve.

I've definitely had issues with SLI on my 970's from the start. Maybe the effect is more pronounced in SLI as you have two cards working in tandem with the slower bus/vram?

Were pushing NVIDIA for an official response, NVIDIA will come back to us and when they do we shall let everyone know. :)

Right now calling us, forums, email the response is we are awaiting a response from NVIDIA.

I understand the frustration, but the 970 performance is un-changed from when it launched and everyone raved how good it was, so what is a few hours/days to wait for an official response/update. :)

Its not the end of the world and I am sure NVIDIA will either fix it or offer up a solution, but anything they do needs to be worldwide, that takes days, not minutes. :)

Our CS slamming the phone, well if I find anyone doing this they will be absolutely beaten for it over the coals, not acceptable at all!

Hey Gibbo, thanks for taking the time to post a reply.

i did a post in the CS section as i can imagine you are quite busy with the calls about this and thought that someone can reply when they get chance rather than getting repeated calls about the issue.

when NVidia let you know is there going to be a new post on the forums making people aware of what they have decided? as sometimes things can be missed in a thread this long and getting so many replies.

that last line did make me laugh! think its needed in a thread this long lol

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Gibbo...

I think everyone understands the difficult situation OCUK is in and i am sure you also appreciate the frustration we as customers are having.

Hopefully nvidia will do the right thing, but i suspect not from past performance!

Are you aware that even if nvidia do not issue the recall you are still going to have to refund people under the consumer act for misrepresentations?

Cheers gibbo ....

Also if that's nvidias response ... They can go take any of there future generations of cards and shove um .

I am sure NVIDIA will either fix it (driver) or sort something out with AIC/Etailors to take RMA's. I am sure they will not shaft anyone or will fix it.

But this is a worldwide issue, the cards performance is un-changed and people have raved how great it is, yet now they are rubbish? Come on the 970 is still the best sub £300 card, fact! :)

Just realise this is reality and for NVIDIA to make a statement, either direction takes time, once we have an official response we will let you guys know.

Were not gonna make a statement until we get something official. :)

Nothing has changed since the card launched, except anticipation of future performance. The reviewers were told it had 64 ROP's and a full memory system like the GTX 980. Upon finding this isn't true owners must change their understanding of how it will perform in future with more vram hungry games. The performance dip will be larger than anticipated based upon the new revelation about the actual spec.

I am sure NVIDIA will either fix it (driver) or sort something out with AIC/Etailors to take RMA's. I am sure they will not shaft anyone or will fix it.

But this is a worldwide issue, the cards performance is un-changed and people have raved how great it is, yet now they are rubbish? Come on the 970 is still the best sub £300 card, fact! :)

Just realise this is reality and for NVIDIA to make a statement, either direction takes time, once we have an official response we will let you guys know.

Were not gonna make a statement until we get something official. :)

Just seeing your posts has already changed my opinion of Overclockers UK for the better - I was starting to think you didn't give a ** Any swearing must be fully starred out **

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom