• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
the only thing they can probably do is improve the memory management and make sure that the the last 512mb does not need to be constantly accessed during gaming. which will essentially make it a 3.5gb card with 512mb reserved for OS. not ideal but not the end of the world.

That's the solution that has been suggested by NVidia, basically just more intelligent memory management to try and mask the issue for most users.

I've been trying to wrap my head around this whole thing since Saturday. I'm genuinely not bothered about the difference in specs - I purchased my card on benchmarks and reviews.

I am however not happy about the stuttering over 3.5GB - performance drop sure but the stutters I've experienced really makes it unplayable. I can only see games getting better with textures so this will likely affect more and more games @ 1080p.

Doubt very much drivers will fix this unless they just decide to disable the final 0.5GB, however can they do anything with a BIOS update or is this really down to physical design?

Im sure its physical but i am usually wrong.

Apart from the 3.5% of the times i am right

J

The Megadrive was awesome, 15bit instead of 16bit, pf who cares.
It would play any game i could throw at it (lol)
Run on the maximum settings (lol)
Go for hours and hours without freezing/stuttering. (again lol).
Yeah it wasnt what it wasn't what it was advertised at, but unlike the 970 It perform to the best of its ability 100% of the time.
I miss my Megadrive :(

Last edited:
You guys DON'T want Nvidia to enable the last 512mb. Believe me those that don't have the issue will complain as well.

You go over that 3.5GB-3.6GB "threshold" the performance will tank and you will have every game stutter like there's no tomorrow.

The card is limped over 3.5GB end of story, it can't be fixed by any driver and whoever claims that has no idea what he is saying. The issue will be multiplied if "fixed" to access the extra memory on the driver level and those currently supporting Nvidia will also start complaining.

You guys DON'T want Nvidia to enable the last 512mb. Believe me those that don't have the issue will complain as well.

You go over that 3.5GB-3.6GB "threshold" the performance will tank and you will have every game stutter like there's no tomorrow.

The card is limped over 3.5GB end of story, it can't be fixed by any driver and whoever claims that has no idea what he is saying. The issue will be multiplied if "fixed" to access the extra memory on the driver level and those currently supporting Nvidia will also start complaining.

You're a scaremonger, if a refund was to shut you up I'd pay it myself, but i dont think that would work.

It is good to see you and Gibbo in this thread answering questions.:)

I hope all goes well with NVidia so this issue is brought to a conclusion.

I also think the 970 is still the best card in it's class by a mile.:)

We are here to help and assist.

I agree with you totally on the thoughts on the 970 as well.

As soon as we hear more it will be posted

Thanks for the patience

Bailey

The problem is the only viable alternative to the 970 is the 980, which is £180 more for the same model. So I'm kinda stuck with the 970 as I can't spare another £180.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom