• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Gibbo has said above, when your gaming you don't stop to look at textures.

Having experienced issues with Dying Light using High textures I've dropped it down a setting and now enjoying it at 100+ FPS outdoors and 200+ FPS indoors.

I, myself wouldn't class the 970 as a mid-range card as it's performance is unreal.

My rig scored 19,995 on 3D Mark. Can't be that bad surely... :)

Am I a little gutted that 4GB VRAM is already out of date? Of course, but that's PC gaming for you. I would have liked an 8GB card. I had a feeling that games would start using more VRAM with the ports coming over from XO/PS4 with their 6GB ish of usable system RAM anyway.

As Gibbo has said above, when your gaming you don't stop to look at textures.

Having experienced issues with Dying Light using High textures I've dropped it down a setting and now enjoying it at 100+ FPS outdoors and 200+ FPS indoors.

I had awful performance at 4k, so I turned view distance from 100% to about 70% and knocked the Textures down to Medium.

Still getting awful performance...

Lolz.

Yeah they run about 5-10°C hotter than a 970 (As long as it's not a reference card) and yet they can use 4GB V-ram

Hmmmm.

I've got a Aero ITX case now so I want to avoid heat as much as possible.

you have read all the reviews of 3rd party cooled 290x`s? they run quite cool nowadays ;)

I don't see the point in paying near enough £300 then spend more on another cooler.

I will have a single 980 G1 Gaming in my system. I'll be gaming at 1440p, so will I need to buy another before I can enjoy 1440p?

:(

no youll be fine. games wont move on much next few years. only reason we seen any issues recently is because of new consoles out and shoddy ports. thing is as they develop more for the consoles which sadly is 95 percent of pc games priority wise they will be more efficiently done.

you cards good for a few years. just a like a 970 is at 1080.

Oh come on its getting really ridiculous now.

There are a lot of other people in this world which are a lot worse off than you and to come out with such a flippant remark is inexcusable.

Its sad the 970 will now be remembered for the wrong reasons other than being a remarkable card when really it does not warrant all the negative comments in this thread.

So you criticise him for having what you dismiss as a feeble concern (because after all, people are dying in Africa! For the love of God, DYING I tells you!), then pop up with a considerably more feeble concern that an inanimate object will be sadly remembered for the wrong reasons?

I haven't read all this thread, obviously, so someone may have already raised this, but I don't quite understand why everyone is totally freaking out.

I run 780ti SLI. I game at 1440p currently. I 'only' have a lowly 3gb or VRAM therefore, and I do just fine in every game I've got (including high res texture modded games like skyrim etc etc).

I know if you bought a 970, you're not seemingly getting the advertised 4gb product, which is I agree very wrong and annoying. However, it's only 500mb less, it doesn't make a huuuuuge difference does it? The price and GPU power grunt of the 970 is amazing I think. At half the price nearly of a 980 it has to be a bit gimped in some way.

Or, have I completely got it wrong? Is it the fact that some games cache GPU mem and use as much as possible (I know tiitanfall does this), and therefore if it tries to use all 4gb you run into severe stuttering and issues? If this is the case, then it is a big old cluster****.

I will have a single 980 G1 Gaming in my system. I'll be gaming at 1440p, so will I need to buy another before I can enjoy 1440p?

:(

Depends on the game, right now a 980 will absolutely power through any game at 1440P, but next year who knows.

If you do come across a game which uses the 4GB up and it slows down, simply reduce a setting to bring the performance back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom