• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
There already is, as more get added it will be at similar prices, the card is still the great card it was, so any b-grade savings will be in line with normal b-grade savings.

Hi, is there any chance we can have a poll put up asking who is/is not going to return there 970? Be interesting to see.

Awesome stuff from Gibbo / OCUK.

Genuinely surprised that Nvidia are saying this is not mis-advertisement, it comes with less ROPS, L2 cache and hybrid memory 3.5GB + 0.5GB. That should have been the story from the start.

I really though Nvidia would have come through for the consumer in some way.

This has definitely soured me towards Nvidia, they could have turned this around into positive PR. Saying it has not been mis-advertised is just not true..

Is this right, are they not holding there hands up on this one then?

Yesterday we had a nvidea rep saying sorry and now there saying there not at fault.

Is this right, are they not holding there hands up on this one then?

Yesterday we had a nvidea rep saying sorry and now there saying there not at fault.

Yeah I'm looking for an official statement that was supposed to come today :confused: This thread is ridiculously hard to navigate though.

Has Nvidia just said a straight up no to returns then Gibbo? :confused:

I want to return my kfa2 and MSI 970 and purchase 1 X 980 and save up for another. Seems I can with kfa2 but not MSI. I purchased a new sli board, psu and 2 970 and wanted to be covered for these big games (and a wacking 32 inch Acer 1440p Monitor) . I'm not it seems and have tested so. Where do I stand because I'm a bit gutted atm.

Yeah if we can't send back our MSI's mine will be on Ebay around june anyway for the new AMD cards.

Dude...

Really? Man that's a stretch.

Nvidia are not going to admit liability until they have to. They will carry on with plausible denial as long as it gets lapped up.

The incorrect rop count was even in the products bios for a start.

This again ???

has it been confirmed or are you assuming that? because like i'v said before, this wouldn't be the first time gpu-z got the rop count wrong on a maxwell card.

Yet again, Gibbo and ocuk deserve some positive recognition for this. I had issues in the i5 750 days with something I received and the response I got was unhelpful, rude and not a good show.

These days you get polite customer contact, great pricing and the fact that they are allowing people to return their cards is fantastic. I'd research other retailers doing the same but I'll bet I won't find any.

I'm not an ocuk fanboy, or an NVidia / ATI fanboy. I buy wherever is cheapest out of three retailers and as for graphics cards - whichever fits my budget at the time.

hi Gibbo,

I tried to request an RMA number and all I got was the following reply :

In order to try and assist further we have included some performance data below so that you can see actual testing results between the GTX 970 and the GTX 980.

Shadows of Mordor: GTX 980 GTX970
<3.5GB settings: 2688x1512 Very High 72FPS 60FPS
>3.5GB settings: 3456x1944 Very High 55FPS (24%) 45FPS (-25%)
Relative performance difference: 1%

Battlefield 4:
<3.5GB settings: 3840x2160 2xMSAA 36FS 30FPS
>3.5GB settings: 3840x2160 135% res. 19FPS (-47%) 15FPS (-50%)
Relative performance difference: 3%

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare:
<3.5GB settings: 3840x2160 FSMAA T2x, SS off 82FPS 71FPS
>3.5GB settings: 3840x2160 FSMAA T2x, SS on 48FPS (-41%) 40FPS (-44%)

As you can see above the relative performance difference varies from 1% in Shadows of Mordor, to 3% in Battlefield 4 or Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. The performance differences between a 970 and 980 in the above examples remain a constant 15-19%, regardless of memory usage.

I hope that the above information helps clarify the performance from the GTX 970. Please let us know if you do want to continue with a step-up on your product for the higher performing GTX 980 card, and we'll get that option opened up for you.

Regards,

Nicholas Paviour

Does the OCUK return department even know we are allowed to return the cards?

Last edited:
Hi Gibbo, I have 2x Windforce OC that I would potentially return if an option. Concerned about my next monitor being higher resolution.

Would do some testing first as I have a 3x 1080p setup I can use. But if it's the same returns offer as the others I'd be interested.

gibbo i feel quite guilty wanting to return it. i had a 290 before then went to a 970 for pure nvidia nostalgia to find nothing much had changed. i want to go 4k and thought the 970 was gonna be good for games like mirrors edge and things like space engineers and mgs. id likely go with a 8gb 290x but with the 3 series right around the corner... i dunno. might just keep this. i shouldnt have to suck up the depreciation but neither should ocuk, this is why im sour with nvidia atm. if i did send it back whats the stance with having used one of the never settle codes, i sold it anwyway so im happy to have that amount deducted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom