• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
In fairness NVIDIA never advertised rops or L2 and more ROPS would have no effect on performance. The NVIDIA bandwidth of the card was advertised correctly which is calculated by the SM/ROPs on the card, so they advertised it correct and the 4GB is present and usable. They have not miss-advertised.

In fairness that's your opinion. We all read / reviews and check specs on cards before we buy them. Nowhere did it say that it was less than 64 ROPs and less shader cache than the GTX 980. GPUZ reports the card as 64 ROPS. The 3.5GB thing wasn't known about either.

So one view is that Nvidia Nvidia didn't technically mis-advertise the card, but on the other hand they didn't speak up when the card was being shown / reviewed as a 64ROP 2MB cache card either, nor did GPUZ get corrected to reflect the lesser spec.

I appreciate your opinion, but as a consumer someone that has no direct affiliation with Nvidia or it's partners. I think this whole thing is seriously dodgy. Nvidia could have turned into positive PR but chose to do nothing. I'll make my choice with my wallet.

I think how you and OCUK and (KFA2 (formerly Galax) Inno3D OcUK EVGA) have handled it is commendable.

but wow nvidia are being so pigheaded about this ><
sigh

TBH, it really isn't much of a surprise....

I love how they aren't going to do anything despite there first announcement saying yes we messed up, we are sorry etc. yet they don't do anything in the end LOL..... What a joke they are.

Great work from Gibbo though and this is why I will stick with ocuk for future purchases as long as they aren't much dearer than the competition ;)

If Nvidia think there is nothing to answer then why are the even apologizing and why are ocuk even refunding - if in Nvidia eyes there is nothing to answer for?

OcUK is refunding, not NVIDIA. So your statement is false.

The reason we are refunding is because we want to keep our customers happy as the customer comes first, if that means it comes out of our pockets then so be it.

OcUK's only interest is our customers. :)

How does 3.5gb make 1440p screwed??? 1440 is fine on 3gb 780's, outside of ubisofts mess and som (high textures over ultra fixes that) nothing is overly taxing, even Bf4 full ultra 4x is only touching a worst case 2700-2800mb over 1440.

Stop scaremongering.

Hi there

Latest update for OcUK customers ONLY:

The following brands you can return if unhappy:
KFA2 (formerly Galax)
Inno3D
OcUK
EVGA

The following brands are still unknown:
Asus
Gigabyte
MSI
Palit
Zotac

So we've had a good result today, the other unknown brands I'm basically giving until tomorrow, I will not let this run over the weekend, it is unfair to customers, in short they need to help OcUK support our customers, if they refuse to help then we will still look to offer a solution at our own cost. But I am sure these brands who are yet to make a decision to support OcUK or on a global scale now have headaches as I've not let it rest all day with them, but out of respect they do need to obtain permission from people in charge who are not so easy to obtain due to being in other countries in different time zones.

So more updates tomorrow, but should the worse case happen I've sat down with the owners of OcUK with a contingency plan should the manufacturers decide they will not support us. OcUK will stand by its customers and is why I am still working on this, it was until midnight last night and will no doubt be the same again.

We are working crazy hard for our customers and will not give up! :)

Just saw this after my last post.

Regardless of how this turns out, you have my brand/retailer loyalty. Totally top notch CS right there.

How does 3.5gb make 1440p screwed??? 1440 is fine on 3gb 780's, outside of ubisofts mess and som (high textures over ultra fixes that) nothing is overly taxing, even Bf4 full ultra 4x is only touching a worst case 2700-2800mb over 1440.

Stop scaremongering.

im hitting 3.5-3.8 pretty easily on games like Arma though.

Hi there

KFA2 (formerly Galax)
Inno3D
OcUK
EVGA

Asus
Gigabyte
MSI
Palit
Zotac

So we've had a good result today, the other unknown brands I'm basically giving until tomorrow, I will not let this run over the weekend, it is unfair to customers, in short they need to help OcUK support our customers, if they refuse to help then we will still look to offer a solution at our own cost. But I am sure these brands who are yet to make a decision to support OcUK or on a global scale now have headaches as I've not let it rest all day with them, but out of respect they do need to obtain permission from people in charge who are not so easy to obtain due to being in other countries in different time zones.

So more updates tomorrow, but should the worse case happen I've sat down with the owners of OcUK with a contingency plan should the manufacturers decide they will not support us. OcUK will stand by its customers and is why I am still working on this, it was until midnight last night and will no doubt be the same again.

Gotta admit im pretty impressed with your customer service :cool:

OcUK is refunding, not NVIDIA. So your statement is false.

The reason we are refunding is because we want to keep our customers happy as the customer comes first, if that means it comes out of our pockets then so be it.

OcUK's only interest is our customers. :)

Did you even read what I said?

Why is OCUK footing the bill IF Nvidia won't even admit fault or do anything about it?

It wasn't a dig at ocuk it's a dig at nvidia..

Stop scaremongering.

Exactly.

I've been using my 970 for a week now, and I haven't been the slightest bit disappointed. In all fairness, I haven't bought any new releases in a long time so everything I've thrown at it at 1440p has been spot on for me.

At the end of the day, it's still a very good card. So the VRAM isn't as expected, fair enough. But as stated, the benchmarks haven't changed. It's no big deal for me. If I get that bothered, I'll get another one for SLI which as I keep being told beats a single 980 anyway. I'm interested in what their driver fix will do though...

I won't be returning mine since I haven't had a new card since my gtx460.

Hi there

KFA2 (formerly Galax)
Inno3D
OcUK
EVGA

Asus
Gigabyte
MSI
Palit
Zotac

Thank you so much Gibbo <3

Unfortunately I could only afford a single card having at the time just brought the PB278Q (fantastic monitor, do you have any issues with display port and booting / sleep?.

I run two displays, a BenQ 1080p and the PB278Q, and no, no issues, I use display port out of the top card, and the DVI to the 2nd off the same card.

The issue is the cards turn into a stuttering mess when it tries to use over 3.5gb vram making 1440p gaming screwed. If it was limited to 3.5gb then I imagine the stuttering would stop as its not trying to allocate data into the much slower memory.

If they had just listed this on the card they would have got more 980 sales to begin with instead of being caught out later on and companies having to accept returns for mis-sold items.
Is this first hand experience? Obviously it's not on my end, pcper said they have struggled make the card a stuttering mess and 4k benchmarks I've seen haven't complained of the games being a stuttering mess.

LOL Just looked on Amazon for the G1 and its got this message

Item Under Review
This product is not currently offered by Amazon.co.uk because a customer recently told us that the item he or she received was not as described.

We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. In the meantime, you may still find this product available from other sellers on this page.

Did you even read what I said?

Why is OCUK footing the bill IF Nvidia won't even admit fault or do anything about it?

It wasn't a dig at ocuk it's a dig at nvidia..

But I am answering your question, we are footing the bill because our customers come first.

The brands we are taking back have agreed to support us, not full cover us but to support us so our losses are minimal. :)

The other brands we are waiting on, if they refuse to offer even a little support then we shall cover it ourselves and our losses will be greater, but all I will say is I guess I shall be doing the most deals on the brands which show their support in this situation in the future.

LOL Just looked on Amazon for the G1 and its got this message

Item Under Review
This product is not currently offered by Amazon.co.uk because a customer recently told us that the item he or she received was not as described.

We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. In the meantime, you may still find this product available from other sellers on this page.

Meanwhile Nvidia claim nothing was mis-advertised... Urm yeah right. Well dodgy this lol.

But I am answering your question, we are footing the bill because our customers come first.

The brands we are taking back have agreed to support us, not full cover us but to support us so our losses are minimal. :)

The other brands we are waiting on, if they refuse to offer even a little support then we shall cover it ourselves and our losses will be greater, but all I will say is I guess I shall be doing the most deals on the brands which show their support in this situation in the future.

While that is fantastic mate. I don't feel you should have to do it. Nvidia have said sorry we messed up but unlucky we don't care and you're left to pick up the pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom