• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely board partners are going to be particularly annoyed with Nvidia? Can't be a good tactic to antagonise your route to market...

Anyway I await news on gigabyte tomorrow. Quick question if you sort something can I pop into the shop to sort out an exchange for two other cards? Tossing up between 980s or 290X 8GB atm.

No idea how returns work, so please clarify with returns after I have announced it is OK to return the brand you have, if I already have then contact returns tomorrow between 9am-5pm. :)

Is this actually a real issue that anyone who has a 1080p screen will notice? Everyone was perfectly happy with their 790 until last week after all!

Lets Hope you leaning (and other retailers) on board partners prompts them an angry response to Nvidia and gives them a kick up the arse to deal with it.

Hi there

Latest update for OcUK customers ONLY:

The following brands you can return if unhappy:
KFA2 (formerly Galax)
Inno3D
OcUK
EVGA

The following brands are still unknown:
Asus
Gigabyte
MSI
Palit
Zotac

So we've had a good result today, the other unknown brands I'm basically giving until tomorrow, I will not let this run over the weekend, it is unfair to customers, in short they need to help OcUK support our customers, if they refuse to help then we will still look to offer a solution at our own cost. But I am sure these brands who are yet to make a decision to support OcUK or on a global scale now have headaches as I've not let it rest all day with them, but out of respect they do need to obtain permission from people in charge who are not so easy to obtain due to being in other countries in different time zones.

So more updates tomorrow, but should the worse case happen I've sat down with the owners of OcUK with a contingency plan should the manufacturers decide they will not support us. OcUK will stand by its customers and is why I am still working on this, it was until midnight last night and will no doubt be the same again.

We are working crazy hard for our customers and will not give up! :)

Even though I am currently on the wrong side of the announcement right now, you have gained a lot of customer loyalty over the last 48 hours and I applaud you for that.

The good news for OCuk is that most people will buy an AMD card or a 980 from OCuk once refunded :-)

So that is good and will help the bottom line.

Come on 8GB 980's!

But I am answering your question, we are footing the bill because our customers come first.

The brands we are taking back have agreed to support us, not full cover us but to support us so our losses are minimal. :)

The other brands we are waiting on, if they refuse to offer even a little support then we shall cover it ourselves and our losses will be greater, but all I will say is I guess I shall be doing the most deals on the brands which show their support in this situation in the future.

Wow, this is honourable. Thanks. I'm sure NV are going to sort this out and recoup you retailers. Its a relief from me knowing I won't be stuck with my G1.

I will get about £275 a card back (£550) and will cost me £800 for a pair of 980's

Is the difference of £250 for a pair of 980s worth it? Maybe.

Amd not an option to me as I invested in Gsync.

Wow, this is honourable. Thanks. I'm sure NV are going to sort this out and recoup you retailers. Its a relief from me knowing I won't be stuck with my G1.

Doubt it, will work better for them if it boosts Radeon sales :p. They're still the UKs biggest bar a couple first tiers I think. It's the 'other' etailer that'll be suffering.

Hi there

Latest update for OcUK customers ONLY:

The following brands you can return if unhappy:
KFA2 (formerly Galax)
Inno3D
OcUK
EVGA

The following brands are still unknown:
Asus
Gigabyte
MSI
Palit
Zotac

So we've had a good result today, the other unknown brands I'm basically giving until tomorrow, I will not let this run over the weekend, it is unfair to customers, in short they need to help OcUK support our customers, if they refuse to help then we will still look to offer a solution at our own cost. But I am sure these brands who are yet to make a decision to support OcUK or on a global scale now have headaches as I've not let it rest all day with them, but out of respect they do need to obtain permission from people in charge who are not so easy to obtain due to being in other countries in different time zones.

So more updates tomorrow, but should the worse case happen I've sat down with the owners of OcUK with a contingency plan should the manufacturers decide they will not support us. OcUK will stand by its customers and is why I am still working on this, it was until midnight last night and will no doubt be the same again.

We are working crazy hard for our customers and will not give up! :)

I'm surprised that the fanboy favourites MSI or Gigabyte haven't sorted things out yet. They are by far the most popular manufacturers according to most sites on the internet so you would expect them to at least help out their customer base promptly.

I'm very impressed with the manufacturers who have worked with OCUK and are accepting returns. GALAX is a lesser brand according to many but they sure have dealt with things impressively along with EVGA. I will be surely buying their cards as first choice in future.

I will get about £275 a card back (£550) and will cost me £800 for a pair of 980's

Id definitely say its worth it, you wont have issues with the RAM :D

Is this actually a real issue that anyone who has a 1080p screen will notice? Everyone was perfectly happy with their 790 until last week after all!

It's a tough one as it's all subjective. Who many people have turned settings down thinking they were just avoiding normal performance issues when it was this issue causing the problem?

We'll never know I guess but this issue only got found because the card was displaying inexplicable issues for some users.

LOL, you could have gone that route in the first place, but now you are spending money you didn't want to. Think about it. Do you actually have issues with your 970's? I'm at 1440p and sure don't!

LOL, you could have gone that route in the first place, but now you are spending money you didn't want to. Think about it. Do you actually have issues with your 970's? I'm at 1440p and sure don't!

Oh rite yeah derp.

If the Nvidia was up front about the specs to start with I would have gone the 980 route.

It's a tough one as it's all subjective. Who many people have turned settings down thinking they were just avoiding normal performance issues when it was this issue causing the problem?

We'll never know I guess but this issue only got found because the card was displaying inexplicable issues for some users.

I have SLI 970's @ 1440p and have NEVER EVER turned settings down!! I think people need to stop generalising!

Most vRAM I have used is SOM @ 3.7 and completed the game ultra everything without a hitch? Witcher 2 maxed 1.8GB, GTA 4 with ICE 1.8GB. Portal 2 900MB, Civ 5, 1GB, DA:I 2.3GB.

I think, well, drama train, choo, choo!!!!

Last edited:
If I am honest this smacks of some people wanting something for nothing. I am really very happy with my 970 having upgraded from a 6970 there was a massive difference. I wont be returning my card at all because I am happy with my purchase as I would imagine most people are with a select few spitting there dummies over it.

That is some stellar CS!

Even though I can send my card back, I won't, because I'm not really any worse off than when I had my 290, and I will probs move to the next gen cards when they are released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom