• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the contrary, the 980 Reference has gone UP! I remember it being £400 before Xmas!!

Check exchange rates. But so you correctly know the facts, last week that very card was £479.99 so it has in fact come down.

But launch prices are now near to impossible due to GBP weaking vastly since October.

I don't think a 980 is cheap though. After this debacle you'd have to be a fanboy to still reward Nvidia. A gtx 980 may be a good card but the new AMD card is around the corner and I'm betting it will be no slouch.

I for one am returning the gtx 970 and using the trusty old 7950 (which I luckily didn't sell yet) until the new AMD cards come out. The random stutter with the 970 was always bugging me but thought it was just the games but now we know why it was happening.

Rewarding a company that had tried to pull the wool over everyones eyes and then refuses to sort out the mess is not something I would entertain for a second.

It all depends what you are happy with. I've been an AMD dude for a long time, I liked the GTX970 and now I can afford the GTX980, so I went for it.

If we all had the same mindset, this would be one boring forum. can we say that this thread has been boring?

Opportunists, seizing the opportunity for a cheap upgrade to a 980.

I don't see how blaming the consumer here is helpful to the situation. I like others am unsure what the hell to do and its nothing about being opportunistic.

I have no idea what else i'd buy or swap to at this point and also need the reference style cooler and dimensions.

Then there is the likelyhood of the value depreciating almost immediatly after purchasing it. 980 upgrade is a viable yet expensive option but yeh I get that it also plays into nvidias hands too which i don't like.

I don't expect OCUK or other manufacturers to foot the loss here and really nvidia need to offer something!

I've gone round the houses on this issue, but ultimately I must conclude returning a 970 for a 980 makes no economical sense. Best off waiting for the 3xx series. If you desperately must have 4K performance TODAY then the 8GB 290X (x2) or 295X2 are options, but you'll need the big juice to run it and a case made of ice to keep it cool. It's annoying if you have stuttering in games, but unfortunately there is no 'right move' at this moment in time I feel. We're in GPU limbo with the number of games set to push and exceed that 4GB limit only set to increase at 1440p and above.

I've gone round the houses on this issue, but ultimately I must conclude returning a 970 for a 980 makes no economical sense. Best off waiting for the 3xx series. If you desperately must have 4K performance TODAY then the 8GB 290X (x2) or 295X2 are options, but you'll need the big juice to run it and a case made of ice to keep it cool. It's annoying if you have stuttering in games, but unfortunately there is no 'right move' at this moment in time I feel. We're in GPU limbo with the number of games set to push and exceed that 4GB limit only set to increase at 1440p and above.

I think if you have a decent case and PSU then the 290x 8gb is a pretty good option.

Gibbo!

I have had endless trouble with my Galax 970 infinity (unfortuantely, i love it otherwise) and so I asked bailey in CS if I could RMA it as a refund (ill buy a 980 on next payday) and he said that was fine but I havn't actually received an email for the RMA and of course he has probably finished for the weekend.

Will I still be ok to get the refund? Will he send me the RMA email on monday?

Cheers :)

OCUK did a brilliant job with CS. Even if they end up losing some brass over this, the positive publicity such actions generate will definitely soften the financial blow and reel in more loyal customers. Shame I live outside the UK. Were it not the case, I wouldn't mind leaving my money in OCUK's hands.

Seems I'm stuck with my misadvertised 3.5gb card which I ironically bought for some futureproofing;p Can't be bothered to swap now though as, judging by the looks of things, even 4gb won't last long. I only hope that AMD's 3xx series comes with more than 4gb vram and that my 970 doesn't significantly depreciate until then.

I've just ordered a 980 Asus Strix and a monitor from Ocuk and am awaiting confirmation from them regarding how I RMA my MSI 970 having sent a webnote. Thankyou Gibbo for looking after your customers. You got my order rather than competitors as a result.

Gibbo!

I have had endless trouble with my Galax 970 infinity (unfortuantely, i love it otherwise) and so I asked bailey in CS if I could RMA it as a refund (ill buy a 980 on next payday) and he said that was fine but I havn't actually received an email for the RMA and of course he has probably finished for the weekend.

Will I still be ok to get the refund? Will he send me the RMA email on monday?

Cheers :)

You should get an RMA email yes, if not get in touch with Bailey on Monday! :)

I've just ordered a 980 Asus Strix and a monitor from Ocuk and am awaiting confirmation from them regarding how I RMA my MSI 970 having sent a webnote. Thankyou Gibbo for looking after your customers. You got my order rather than competitors as a result.

Cheers! :)

Have a great weekend everyone. :)

Gibbo we need a locked thread so it is clear how people stand regarding this issue with the various brands of 970, impossible to find in this behemoth of a thread

You can return all brands, OcUK made the decision to do this even when all vendors had not agreed to back us and now they nearly all are. :)

So it does not get more clear, all brands can be returned, contact our RMA department. :)

One thread is enough on this subject! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom