• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

980Ti Load temps

Associate
I recently bought the MSI 980Ti Gaming and I've been extremely happy with it. What temperature should it be running at under full load?

I had Far Cry 3 running on ultra last night and it was a steady 75C. I know that on the MSI Gaming cards the fans don't kick in until it reaches 60C. The card was at 75C and the fan was at 66%. I'm assuming that the fan would have ramped up to 100% if it needed any further cooling?

I'm not that familiar with the Maxwell chips, since I've been running a 7950 for the last 2 years. Any advice/reassurance would be helpful!

Associate
OP
So it looks like I'm around average on stock settings with no custom cooling/fan curve.

@setter. Yup, that's the exact same situation I've got on auto-fan settings. At least I now know it's 'normal' for this card. I'l probably mess around with the fan profile and my case airflow to bring it down a little.

Associate
OP
OK, so I've had a quick fiddle with afterburner. Now just to find the right balance!

Does anybody have any custom fan curves that work well? I take it that 1-1 ratio means 40% at 40C and 60% at 60C?

Sorry if I sound like a dummy but I've been going slightly insane this week. I'm at home on jury service and so far haven't been picked, hence I've been sitting around for 4 days doing nothing!

EDIT: Thanks setter, you're a star!

Associate
OP
Yeah, got your fan curve set and it's now a cool 63C so far. I've got all my fans, CPU and case, attached to the PWM hub on my new Enthoo Pro case. I'm tempted to get a 3rd party fan controller and hook all the case fans to that, so I can adjust the case flow without changing the CPU fan speed though.

Associate
OP
Mine's idling at 135MHz GPU clock, 202MHz Mem clock and 405MHz video clock. Now I've got the fan curve sorted, it's idling at 27C. Mine idled at 40C before I set a custom fan curve. With the MSI gaming, the fan is silent at 40% speed.

If you consider that without the fan it's a passive cooler, then I don't think 40C on passive cooling istoo bad. Bear in mind if you consider ambient room temp to be 21-25C, then that's only another 15-19C higher.

Back
Top Bottom